Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What did you drive while in Aggieland?

4,865 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiepapaBill
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
In this recession, are you keeping your car longer than you originally planned? I have a plan for you to consider, but 1st …

This was my ride my senior year. My buddy, George Brinegar, who was at that point a 5th year senior and as a result, living in the apartment complex I was in instead of living on the quad, loved to ride with me. George had an upcoming Army contract and was going to be in Armor in the army. The sunroof in my Monte Carlo was a great training ground for George as he loved to act as if he was in a tank, standing with one foot on the console and one in the passenger seat, poking out the sunroof in true tank/armor commander style. GREAT fun in those days! By the way, George not only became a tank/armor commander in the army, but also spent a career there and retired a Brigadier General!

Let us know what you were driving and even better, if you have a picture, post it!

Back to the recession, in 2007-2010, the age of vehicles on the road advanced drastically due to consumers deciding against buying a new car. Now, the economic situation isn't identical, but it's similar. What's NOT similar is the extremely high price of new and used cars due to supply shortage. I had a conversation with a fellow Ag in the Denver airport the other day about his car coming off lease and he was going to buy the lease out instead of getting a new car like he'd always done due to "ridiculous" prices and supply shortage.

He didn't need a service contract (aka warranty) while the vehicle was new and under full factory warranty, but deciding to keep that vehicle a bit longer creates a risk of mechanical breakdown.

The cost and term for a service contract if you buy one now is probably for a much longer period of time and higher price than might make sense when you're not even certain how long you plan to keep the current vehicle while the supply shortage and pricing anomalies clear up. The price alone averages $3,500.

That's where ProtectionLiNK offers an alternative. We offer a month-to-month service agreement that has no commitment required beyond 30 days at a time. You can keep the protection at the level of coverage you choose for as long or as short of a time that suits you.

Our most famous competitor (you see them on TV and hear them on the radio 50 times a day) costs about 40% more than we do (media buys and celebrity endorsements are expensive). Additionally, they have an "F" rating with the Better Business Bureau while our administrator has an "A" BBB rating. Simply said, our coverage and service is superior and at a lower cost too!

Finally, we're Aggie founded, owned, and operated. Please check us out! Call or email me and I'll personally reply.

Lyle

Lyle King
ProtectionLiNK
lyle@linkadvisors.us
817-219-4600

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
35 Dodge! Could write a book about our experiences. GREAT car!

OK Two, noticed my headlights were dim. Turned out they had been painted green! Culprit

was the little girl aged 5 from across the street.

Front part of car was smoky! The battery under the seat had caused the fiber

under the seat to catch fire!

We had one empty can to get water from the nearest house to try and put the fire out. Didn't work!

Never could find a replacement. Dates had to ride on coke cases Fun!

ProtectionLiNK
That sounds like my 1st car from high school which had been used as dirt track racing 1962 slant 6 Plymouth Valiant. Definitely didn't get dates because of the car and probably missed out on plenty too.
ProtectionLiNK - Monthly Subscription Warranty - No Financing - No Credit Check - No $3000 Commitment
ProtectionLiNk
millerjohnr
AG
had a 1976 Vega then a 1976 Mercury Montego
aggie_john
tbone421998
AG
63 green Chevrolet C10 pickup. Was driving in downtown Bryan when I noticed smoke coming from behind the seat….where the gas tank is located. Quickly pulled over. Luckily it was insulation on some wiring and not an actual fire.
garyt73
AG
1969 Roadrunner. No A/C, no radio, no power brakes, no power steering. It did have a 383 magnum, Hurst 4 speed, posi traction, and fresh air package. It was bought to run and it did. I would love to have another just like it. It cost $3000 out the door in 1969. ($2850 + TT&L)
oklacityag75
AG
1964 Galaxie 500 390 Intercepter
1971 Mercury Monterey
1970 LTD
jdls13
AG
I rode my bike
TAMU74
AG
1968 GTO.
She was a beautiful fire engine red with a black vinyl top and white vinyl interior.
6.5 L (400 CID) V8 rated as I recall around 300+ HP.
Automatic transmission with Hurst "Duel Gate" shifter.
I'd love to have that car again today.
wisdom
AG
I wasn't one of the lucky ones to have a car in college. I did a lot of hitch hiking.
ProtectionLiNK
There were points at which I didn't have a car and hitchhiked back and forth to Fort Worth a few times. It was a real curse to get dropped off entering Waco, then have to walk about 6 miles to get to a place where I got a ride again.
ProtectionLiNK - Monthly Subscription Warranty - No Financing - No Credit Check - No $3000 Commitment
ProtectionLiNk
ned911
'68 VW bug, no AC.

You don't get a lot of dates with no AC lol
FTA Class of 1988
ProtectionLiNK
I guess you wait until winter ... lol
ProtectionLiNk
Class of 65
AG
50 Studebaker
KAL
1953 Mercury Only lasted the first semester. Class of 67
ProtectionLiNK
I went through multiple while at ATM for 5 years. The Monte Carlo and Plymouth Horizon, Renault LeCar, 1973 Honda CB5004 motorcycle
ProtectionLiNk
aggiehawg
AG
1974 Ford Maverick. Four door, white.

Always kept tools in the floorboard of the passenger seat. Had a sticky butterfly valve and it wouldn't start a lot. Have to take off the air filter and use a screw driver and shot of WD-40 to get the valve to work.

But had that through HS, A&M and law school.

Next ride was better.

God, I loved that car. But mine was a 2 door and when I got married several years later, my husband came with little kids in car seats. Two door wasn't cutting it.
QB1
AG
"Mexi-melt": dodge Dakota mini, lowered with a 318, had running boards and "love lights" on the inside….my pops bought it from a Hispanic maid who was stealing from her bedridden provider, he found out and sold it on the cheap.

AND

A white ford bronco, tinted windows…yrs later OJ pretty much copied me
ProtectionLiNK
Hopefully OJ wasn't copying you in some of those more troublesome activities
ProtectionLiNk
war hymn aggie
AG
saved up and bought a Maroon 1981 Z28 Camaro after my freshman year after my '68 GTO had some issues that were beyond my simple repair abilities. Was definitely an eye catcher with some of the ladies. In fact, it caught the eye of my bride of 38 years now when she 1st laid eyes on me driving it in Spring of 1982 with the t-tops removed.
Here's a pic of one that looked very similar:
Loftin
AG
1998 Ford Explorer XLT. Drove it from 2004 until 2016. I loved that car, but couldn't afford to keep it once it reached 250k miles.
wtr1975
AG
A silver gray 1966 Dodge Coronet with a push button transmission
Funky Winkerbean
AG
1974 Maverick 2 door. Bought it for $1200, drove it for 4 years and sold it for $2000. I wish I still had it.
ProtectionLiNK
My first car in high school versus 62 Plymouth valiant with that pushbutton transmission and slant six engine!
ProtectionLiNk
alanbynum
AG
1965 Chevrolet Impala.
bulverdeaggie93
AG
'87 Ford Tempo
AGSWON
AG
1971 Chevy C/10 and this was from '94-98, so it was a classic. We totally restored it while I was in high school. It was black on black with no A/C. I look back now and I'm surprised it didn't get stolen. I had my cassette tapes stolen a couple times though. Great truck and I miss it!
Loyalty
AG
1978 Toyota Celica. Great car. Lasted forever.
SA-AG72
AG
1964 Chevrolet Nova, 2 dr hardtop. Bought it for $600 out of high school, drove it while in college and sold it for $600.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
69 Olds 442...screw driver for trunk key...had to drill the lock out when a friend went to get beer and locked the keys in the trunk with the beer!!!
Col. A 1976
ohioag67
AG
I had a '55 Chevy, 265 V8 bored a bit and running a '56 Corvette cam with solid lifters. The old Carter 4bbl WCFB could be a challenge and a huge PIA.
Gump 02
AG
1993 Dodge Ramcharger

AggieZUUL
AG

This beauty... 1988 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight... 3.8L V6, whitewall tires.

And this 1998 Ford Mustang

oldschool87
AG
DallasAg 94
Reebok or go home.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.