Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Smoke on DJ Durkin -- Possible DC announcement coming?

19,013 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MagnumLoad
SEC Champs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Noticed this snippet from an Ole Miss article about the hiring Charlie Weiss...

Quote:

As far as other potential departures from his staff, Kiffin also acknowledged that possibility existed. Co-defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin has been rumored to be a candidate for the vacant defensive coordinator job at Texas A&M, while strength and conditioning coach Wilson Love has been tied to the same position at Oregon.

He ran a 3-2-6 defense at OM.
Windy City Ag
AG
You have to be a titanic moron to stack in depth the most elite d-lineman in the country and then shift to a 3-2-6.
KBAGOLFER
Derrick Mason please
SEC Champs
AG
Windy City Ag said:

You have to be a titanic moron to stack in depth the most elite d-lineman in the country and then shift to a 3-2-6.

Right, but it was secondary-centric, which makes me think a 4-2-5 would not be an issue.
SamHou
God I hope not. He was described as being an abusive coach while at U.Michigan and then got fired from U.Maryland due to the death of Jordan McNair
Cactus Jack Spivey
Elite coordinators adapt to talent at hand. Not even an issue. Think we sit in a true 4-2 Nickel every snap? Nah
visit coachguru.net
Marcus Brutus
No. Please no.
Marcus Brutus
We have the money to get a top notch DC. Do it. Stop it with these scrubs like Mason and Durkin.
Aggie Rick
AG
He killed a kid, no thanks
@Aggie_Rick
runontexas
ElephantRider
AG
Aggie Rick said:

I'm surprised LSU didn't hire him
Alpha Texan
AG
Uhā€¦ what?
PyriteAg
AG
It's most likely him. Also, I'm sure he'll change his scheme when he comes here. We have actual defensive talent here.
lil_frog8
AG
Not thinking Durkin since Linebackers is his specialty and Jimbo seemed like he was intent on keeping Santucci. I wouldn't put much hope on a big name from the college ranks. I still think Aaron Glenn has a shot.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
ElephantRider said:

Aggie Rick said:

I'm surprised LSU didn't hire him

This made me laugh. So true.
Aggie87
AG
Alpha Texan said:

Uhā€¦ what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_McNair
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Marcus Brutus said:

We have the money to get a top notch DC. Do it. Stop it with these scrubs like Mason and Durkin.

You think Derek Mason is a scrub DC?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Durkin should be black balled like Briles. By many accounts, with the culture of his program, McNair was an accident waiting to happen. If it wasn't him, it would have been something else.

He's a hell no from me.
Traveler
AG
Would take him over Mason.
Eagle78
Considered very elite until the Maryland accident. He was apparently poor at supervising some of his assistants. Typical rookie head coach error. Except this time the error had deadly consequences. He'd be an excellent addition to A&M's staff.

Durkin was at best negligent when he was at MD and that negligence resulted in deadly consequences. There is no evidence he intentionally hurt anyone or acted deviously. Aren't we a country of second chances?
MaxPower
He ran a 4-3 before that so I don't think he's married to a 3-2.
Andrew99
AG
Fisher said in the signing day press conference that losing Elko didn't affect recruiting because they know we run a system and that isn't going to change just because we get a different DC. Fisher is the coach and regardless of who we bring in as DC they will likely run the defense the way he wants it run. The calls will be different but the scheme should remain similar.
maver1ck
AG
It's going to be Durkin. Like the guy or not, he will come here and create an elite defense with the talent we have.

And no, we won't run a 3 man front.
Ags77
AG
I would rather have Mason or Muschamp, but whoever Jimbo wants is fine with me.
Kramer
AG
Damn, what did Mason do to y'all to feel like he's a scrub?
Turf96
They don't understand football. Mason sucked at candy but is a hell of a dc.
maver1ck
AG
Turf96 said:

And honestly, he didn't even suck at Vandy considering that they're Vandy. He actually made them somewhat decent with what they gave him to work with. They had some really solid defenses under him.

But anyway doesn't really matter considering Mason isnt the hire
Kramer
AG
I mean, I can see people maybe making the point that he's not been a DC all that much. Stanford and now Auburn. Yes, he called the D after his first year at Vandy, but he's not got Elko-like experience.

But scrub?
texag_89
KBAGOLFER said:

Derrick Mason please

This or the former Mizzu hc.... Dont friggin get cute with this hire.

Either of those men would leverage our immense amount of DL talent incoming.

KBAGOLFER
Y'all know how many points his D gave up to Bama, wait their still scoring on Ole Miss right now
Propane & Accessories
AG
CO-DC at Ole Miss, a team that had to score alot to win, killed a kid in Maryland, I'd say a hard pass on this jabroni.
Traveler
AG
nbaker2022 said:

Turf96 said:

And honestly, he didn't even suck at Vandy considering that they're Vandy. He actually made them somewhat decent with what they gave him to work with. They had some really solid defenses under him.

But anyway doesn't really matter considering Mason isnt the hire
I'm not going to argue that Mason is a bad DC, but he was 27-55 at Vandy, so he didn't really elevate that team at all. He had a couple decent defenses in 15-16, but otherwise they were largely puke.

You presented a solid argument for Mason in a different post, although I think the available evidence is pretty weak.

DJD has a more established and better track record imo, and looks to be an ace recruiter as well.

Also, no one has called Mason a scrub anyone calling Mason a scrub is stupid.. Just like anyone saying DJD "killed" is kid is equally stupid.
greg.w.h
AG
Whoever Jimbo hires is fineā€¦
Traveler
AG
Adding to say - I doubt DJD gets another HC shot b/c of what happened at MD (rightly or wrongly), so I have less worry about him leaving after a few years (if he's successful) for a better job/promotion.
Maroon Flash
AG
However Jimbo decides to hire as DC should get our support. He did well with the Elko hire. Durkin has done a good job as DC elsewhere.

Anybody who plays football knows it is extremely strenuous and I am comfortable Jimbo has established guidelines to respond to emergency situations.

And Mason would also be worthy candidate. Definitely not a scrub but more likely to leave after a couple of good years.

Our D will have tremendous talent. Gonna make somebody look really good!
Maroon Flash
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.