Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thompson to Sips

10,938 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Barnacle
texag_89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thought this guy was a good guy lean for a long time, right??

Me thinks recruits are affected by losses just like the rest of us contrary to what some "experts" have been telling us.

247Sports: Texas lands commitment from four-star wide receiver Brenen Thompson.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Brenen-Thompson-commits-Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Steve-Sarkisian-Armani-Winfield-Jordan-Shipley-172490864/
#Mke
AG
If I were an (unbiased) WR recruit in TX right now, I would probably go to Texas too. Chances are he's watched both teams play, and the film is clear about who has a better passing offense and it sure as hell ain't us.
Bill Superman
AG
Being a WR looks a lot more exciting at sip right now. If we can get to the break with only a loss to bama then King returns, we have a chance to change that narrative.
Dr.Pepper7
AG
Agree with this^. Sips have a huge advantage in WR position because of the offense.

I think that overall record for the Ags plays into recruiting for sure, would be stupid to say other wise but that's only 1 piece of the pie in recruiting. Facilities, culture, coaching, development, conference, schemes, etc all play into the decision.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Dr.Pepper7 said:

Agree with this^. Sips have a huge advantage in WR position because of the offense.

I think that overall record for the Ags plays into recruiting for sure, would be stupid to say other wise but that's only 1 piece of the pie in recruiting. Facilities, culture, coaching, development, NIL$ conference, schemes, etc all play into the decision.

FIFY
levypantsEOY
You mean star wide receiver recruits haven't been impressed with our passing game??
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
levypantsEOY said:

You mean star wide receiver recruits haven't been impressed with our passing game??

No he committed to the Longhorns. Not the Aggies.

GoodAg21
We have nobody to blame but our selves. Completely gave that one away. Jimbo is a master closer and signing day is still far so hopefully we can pull something off. This one hurts no way around it.
Reno Hightower
Not Tascosa good. Move on folks.
WorkTogetherAgs
AG
maver1ck
AG
#Mke said:

If I were an (unbiased) WR recruit in TX right now, I would probably go to Texas too. Chances are he's watched both teams play, and the film is clear about who has a better passing offense and it sure as hell ain't us.
There's no chance that he chose texas for the passing attack.

The film is clear that Bijan is carrying the heck out of that offense.

Our pass offense has been bad, and sips passing offense has just been slightly less bad.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
nbaker2022 said:

#Mke said:

There's no chance that he chose texas for the passing attack.

The film is clear that Bijan is carrying the heck out of that offense.

Our pass offense has been bad, and sips passing offense has just been slightly less bad.

I bet he committed to Texas because of how badly we got blown out by Arkansas.
HoopsAg
Texas always seems to have stud receivers...
The Russy Pooh
tu joining the SEC is already paying dividends. I'm sure recruits are being told that the merger will happen while they are playing there and it'll be the most talked about thing in the country. Huge exposure....
Dr.Pepper7
AG
Sark offense much more explosive than Jimbo and they rotate WR's.

Jimbo doesnt have a track record of putting WR's in the NFL..

You want more WR's to come to A&M try running a new offense and rotating WR's.
Spyderman
AG
Good-bye to texas university"...
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Just Tired
any new coach gets to recruit on moonbeams and unicorns for a couple of years until reality comes crashing in... sark is still there... jimbo's honeymoon is ending.
dcg4403
AG
Dr.Pepper7 said:

Sark offense much more explosive than Jimbo and they rotate WR's.

Jimbo doesnt have a track record of putting WR's in the NFL..

You want more WR's to come to A&M try running a new offense and rotating WR's.

So very true. Perfect example of this is Demas. Immense talent. He is finally seeing the field and is clearly struggling. Not sure how we sell to the top WRs given they rarely play young within Jimbo's offense. Something has to break...
WC94
AG
The Russy Pooh said:

tu joining the SEC is already paying dividends. I'm sure recruits are being told that the merger will happen while they are playing there and it'll be the most talked about thing in the country. Huge exposure....

They are in the SEC and get to pad their record with cream puffs for thd next 2-3 years. I wonder when it's official, will they have left the state of Texas too?
WorkTogetherAgs
AG
ESPN likely pulling strings for the sips behind closed doors.

Just like they pulled strings for the sips behind closed doors to get them into the SEC.
OTredux
Not worried about this guy. Those dudes get plenty of mid-4star WRs all the time and most get wasted. If Stewart commits to them, then I'll worry.

We have better WRs on campus and once we fix QB, we are more lethal.

tOSU has stolen the elite playmakers from the state that did not commit to good guys.

Austinites don't get elite playmakers out wide. Or if they do, they flounder.
SunrayAg
AG
Gloom, despair, and agony on me.

Maybe hold off on the cliff jumping.

He is a good kid and is very fast.

But he weighs like 165 and is constantly hurt.
OTredux
SunrayAg said:

Yep. He might be the next Devonta Smith, but I doubt it. Again, look at the flood of 3-4 star WR's they have signed in last 10 years. It is a graveyard of wasted expectations.

Maybe this new coach is the next big thing, but I'll believe it when I see it. We need to focus on us. We have a massive talent advantage over them right now IMHO. Too much of it is raw but if we keep recruiting like we have, we will win 7-8 out of 10 vs them once they come to SEC.

I am big time down on Jimbo but that is because I thought we were going to play in CFP this year. Those guys don't worry me a lick. More disappointing than us these last 10 yesrs.
DimebagsGhost
AG
If this year has not taught you anything - it is that OL and DL recruiting is what makes or breaks a season and makes you elite. Our OL is young and in 2 or 3 years will be elite.

WR recruiting - OU, tu etc.. gets you some flashy plays, but does not deliver the goods -- OU in the playoffs get mauled
Jack Boyett
AG
I've seen him play a bunch of games, catfish is more right than wrong. Don't let this one bother you.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
OTredux said:

SunrayAg said:

Yep. He might be the next Devonta Smith, but I doubt it. Again, look at the flood of 3-4 star WR's they have signed in last 10 years. It is a graveyard of wasted expectations.

Maybe this new coach is the next big thing, but I'll believe it when I see it. We need to focus on us. We have a massive talent advantage over them right now IMHO. Too much of it is raw but if we keep recruiting like we have, we will win 7-8 out of 10 vs them once they come to SEC.

I am big time down on Jimbo but that is because I thought we were going to play in CFP this year. Those guys don't worry me a lick. More disappointing than us these last 10 yesrs.
Like clockwork. LOL I was looking forward to this post.

You'd consider him all-world had he committed to A&M. Now he's a bum.
OTredux
EarlCampbellsThighs said:

OTredux said:

SunrayAg said:

I don't think he is a bum. Without being a jerk, it is very fair to not fear your team's ability to develop WR talent. The "can't miss" WRs never commit to you guys. Lately they go to OU and tOSU. We got Demas. Again, maybe the new coach can improve on what you have been doing with the WR spot, but until I see it on field, I'll not worry about your WR play. Duvernay was best player you have had in decade. He was a gamer at WR. But that is about it in 10 years.
CrottyKid
AG
Some look at our offense and see no chance to put up numbers.

Others look at our offense and see a chance to start early and be the go-to guy.

We have to find the latter right now.
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
OTredux said:

OTredux said:

SunrayAg said:

I don't think he is a bum. Without being a jerk, it is very fair to not fear your team's ability to develop WR talent. The "can't miss" WRs never commit to you guys. Lately they go to OU and tOSU. We got Demas. Again, maybe the new coach can improve on what you have been doing with the WR spot, but until I see it on field, I'll not worry about your WR play. Duvernay was best player you have had in decade. He was a gamer at WR. But that is about it in 10 years.

Doesn't Texas have 4-5 WR's in the league right now? Top of head = Duvernay, Collin Johnson, Goodwin, LJH and I'm blanking on who else as I type this. Plus add in those Sark has coached from Alabama and previous stops. Safe to say a WR recruit is making a safe choice. Since only about 1-2% of college players go Pro, I think Texas is beating that rate at the WR position.
OTredux

OTredux said:

OTredux said:

SunrayAg said:

Doesn't Texas have 4-5 WR's in the league right now? Top of head = Duvernay, Collin Johnson, Goodwin, LJH and I'm blanking on who else as I type this. Plus add in those Sark has coached from Alabama and previous stops. Safe to say a WR recruit is making a safe choice. Since only about 1-2% of college players go Pro, I think Texas is beating that rate at the WR position.

To some extent, who cares about NFL? I am talking CFB. Look up the 30-40 WR commits over last decade going to ATX since 2010. Almost all are busts. The four you are listing were pretty good there. But that is less than a 10% success rate.

Again, that has been a place most WRs go to die. I bet you have recruited way better than us at WR in last decade with less to show for it.

This guy might be amazing. Maybe you finally found your coach. I'll believe it when I see it. Beating 3 "meh" teams in a row after getting rolled by Hogs does not mean much to me.

BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
OTredux said:

OTredux said:

OTredux said:

SunrayAg said:

To some extent, who cares about NFL? I am talking CFB. Look up the 30-40 WR commits over last decade going to ATX since 2010. Almost all are busts. The four you are listing were pretty good there. But that is less than a 10% success rate.

Again, that has been a place most WRs go to die. I bet you have recruited way better than us at WR in last decade with less to show for it.

This guy might be amazing. Maybe you finally found your coach. I'll believe it when I see it. Beating 3 "meh" teams in a row after getting rolled by Hogs does not mean much to me.

Every leading college program (about 40 in all) thought he was good enough to offer. He chose Texas. I'm good with that. "Meh" losses are better than "meh" wins I guess?
OTredux
Dude...don't come on to Aggie site with such thin skin. Gosh, almighty. i am not saying noone wanted him or he stinks.

I am pointing out the fact that based on 10 years of evidence, he'll amount to jack squat there. I also acknowledged that IF this new coach is what you hope maybe that will change.

Otherwise, take a chill pill.

rootube
AG
I'm more concerned with the current 5 star recruits who are not catching passes than the future ones.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Of all the positions this position loss concerns me the least. We can't afford to miss on offensive lineman. Losing banks to Oregon hurts, we need kam dewberry. Now if we don't get him a few other offensive lineman I will be worried. It's pretty obvious to me that it's more about your understanding of the offense with jimbo than just outright physical gifts to play wr.
GoodAg21
HoopsAg said:

Texas always seems to have stud receivers...
If we were 5-0 like we should be his commitment picture would be maroon instead of orange. We had a good lead going into the season.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.