Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why would Top QBs come to A&M?

4,498 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Agsttt
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They may be superstar talents but most of them need time to learn the college game and get their feet. Most have a few bad games, some more than others.

At A&M we put our QBs in bad situation under bad OLs and expect them to deliver instant results. If not, we trash them and demand the backup (who is worse, so we trash him as well). We have a history of this. It's now Calzada's turn. Next would be King, and then Weigman.
Why would a top QB want to come to A&M where everyone is looking to pull you down?
Just Tired
infinity ag said:

not much competition for instant playing time?
DGAG92
AG
Perform and they won't get drug down.
Class of 1992
Alpha Texan
AG
King and Calzada are not being asked to deliver instant results. Counting this year, they have 5 combined years in Aggieland. These QBs don't come to college saying, "yeah coach I just wanna settle in and maybe play some in 3 years." So I disagree that we are asking for instant results.

I remember an analyst from ESPN talking earlier this year and he said that your OL is growing until they have a combined 100 starts. If you want a really good OL, you need 100 starts between the 5 of them. We're getting there. Tbh, I don't think the OL was that bad last night. It just feels like they sucked because when they did mess up, it was real bad.
GigEmTx
infinity ag said:

They may be superstar talents but most of them need time to learn the college game and get their feet. Most have a few bad games, some more than others.

At A&M we put our QBs in bad situation under bad OLs and expect them to deliver instant results. If not, we trash them and demand the backup (who is worse, so we trash him as well). We have a history of this. It's now Calzada's turn. Next would be King, and then Weigman.
Why would a top QB want to come to A&M where everyone is looking to pull you down?
Partly because what we've seen from Jimbo turning Kellen Mond into a decent NFL draft project. I can't wait to see what happens with Haynes King later this year and Weigman after that.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

EOT
GigEmTx
Alpha Texan said:

Tbh, I don't think the OL was that bad last night. It just feels like they sucked because when they did mess up, it was real bad.
Right. I thought the OL play was actually pretty good. We were the first team able to run on MSU's defense and the pocket was pretty clean most of the night. Calzada's running from the pocket while he was well-protected gave a different impression, but it was pretty clean for the most part.
My Name Is Judge
To get yelled at on the sideline by a guy that coaches like dog****
Alpha Texan
AG
You were probably one of the guys pretty high on Jimbo when we went 9-1 last year. Amirite?
Cassius
At this point... NIL money.
My Name Is Judge
Last year he quit coaching like dog**** by wk 3

This year he's still coaching like dog**** in the middle of the season

Also I was just answering the question about why blue chip qbs will come here
Aquin
AG
We have not really developed a QB in quite a long time. I liked Brandon Stewart. RC benched him only to call on him to lead us to our last championship. Sleepy did not see Tannehill's talent. He had to beg for a chance to play QB. Recall the absolute horror on the faces of the parents of Kyle Allen while Summy played their son while he was obviously hurt. Of course, Summy ran off more talent than we deserved.

I do not know if parents check into a schools history on a position basis. If they do, I find nothing compelling that would encourage me to send my son to A&M.
Alpha Texan
AG
Yeah that's a fair point. You right
fightinag
So they can get screamed at by Jimbo after every possession good or bad
But
They do get tv time getting yelled at !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Unemployed
AG
Has there been a QB coached by Jimbo that had success in the NFL?

Jameis Winston has been average so far.
Demo_Slug
AG
For fine ladies
Coog_aTm
Immediate starting time.
VatoLocoAggie
AG
For tradition. We have the best traditions in all of football and university. Others schools are in awe and envy our cool and historic traditions, customs, and courtesies. Some people praisingly and respectfully call us a cult because we are so strong in our traditions and mannerisms.

Environment and community. College Station is a great place to live and raise a family. One of the few places in the US where a community of our size allows folks to leave their houses and vehicles unlocked and live without fear of high crime. College Station and the local area basically shutdown businesses when we have a home game and folks come to support the Fightin Farmers of the fields.

People. Aggies! A&M is still that college trapped in time of early Americana where people still valued their word, had compassion for others, and mutual respect was worth more than money in the bank.

Patriotism. There isn't a more patriotic college in the nation and we still trust in our God, Jesus and love accordingly.

Women. A&M had the best looking women in all of Texas and they are smart to boot. Yeah, I agree with previous posts that for some odd reason the cameras tend to only show the less than desirable looking female Ags but we all seen the campus hotties. There are quite a few and they are friendly and fun. Name another school in Texas with better looking women that can catch a catfish, clean a deer, plow a field, and still dress the Nine for Sunday morning service. I dare ya.

Finally, and most importantly football.
We are building something special here. Jimbo is arguably in the Top 3 coaches in football and in only his second season he put us on the verge of a national championship. This season we had unforeseen challenges that is beyond his control.

Jimbo will get us Nattys and we will continue the traditions of national championships. See how many we have won in my sig block below.

If you want to win. Come play at Texas A&M!

Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
fieldtrailer
AG
Superstar targets? Our last target committed in the 10th grade and was mmediately switched to tight end when he got here 2 years later. This is the problem with that position. Coaches get 1 commit 2 years early and shut it down for that class. . Lazy, no effort. Too important a position to do that unless a once in a lifetime talent. He certainly wasn't by end of sr season.
VatoLocoAggie
AG
Why y'all act like we became UTEP overnight. We are loaded with talent. We have the blocks check marked. We just got snake bit this year but we have plenty of games left to turn it around.

We need to believe!
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
AngryAG
Because all highly rated QBs want to play in a 1990s pro style offense?
infinity ag
Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

Top QBs get instant playing time everywhere. Not a differentiator.

But at A&M they get pilloried by everyone after their first start.
infinity ag
VatoLocoAggie said:

For tradition. We have the best traditions in all of football and university. Others schools are in awe and envy our cool and historic traditions, customs, and courtesies. Some people praisingly and respectfully call us a cult because we are so strong in our traditions and mannerisms.

Environment and community. College Station is a great place to live and raise a family. One of the few places in the US where a community of our size allows folks to leave their houses and vehicles unlocked and live without fear of high crime. College Station and the local area basically shutdown businesses when we have a home game and folks come to support the Fightin Farmers of the fields.

People. Aggies! A&M is still that college trapped in time of early Americana where people still valued their word, had compassion for others, and mutual respect was worth more than money in the bank.

Patriotism. There isn't a more patriotic college in the nation and we still trust in our God, Jesus and love accordingly.

Women. A&M had the best looking women in all of Texas and they are smart to boot. Yeah, I agree with previous posts that for some odd reason the cameras tend to only show the less than desirable looking female Ags but we all seen the campus hotties. There are quite a few and they are friendly and fun. Name another school in Texas with better looking women that can catch a catfish, clean a deer, plow a field, and still dress the Nine for Sunday morning service. I dare ya.

We are building something special here. Jimbo is arguably in the Top 3 coaches in football and in only his second season he put us on the verge of a national championship. This season we had unforeseen challenges that is beyond his control.

Jimbo will get us Nattys and we will continue the traditions of national championships. See how many we have won in my sig block below.

Seriously.... what?

Are you selling College Station to recruits? That's a place even I wanted to GTFO. I remember even JFF felt the same.
ironmanag
AG
Good lord y'all are pathetic.
Scotty Appleton
infinity ag said:

Just Tired said:

infinity ag said:

Top QBs get instant playing time everywhere. Not a differentiator.

But at A&M they get pilloried by everyone after their first start.

Please. Go google the notes/texts, etc Tebow received after FL lost to Ole Miss. QB's have it EASY in College Station compared to most name programs.
Eagle78
infinity ag said:

Because Jimbo has done a really good job in the past developing quarterbacks, that's why. He can't help it if Calzada lacks talent and the OL is so green. It's not his fault the starter, King, fractured his ankle.
PascalsWager
AG
Boston College was playing in hostile environment against much better competition (Clemson) with much worse talent at EVERY SINGLE OTHER POSITION with their backup QB. He took immediate pressure to the face at his own goalline. And he smartly ran up field for 5 yards. Fearless and confident, we win with even THAT guy last night.

Boston F'ing College's backup QB. We don't need top QBs. Just mere basic competence.
Barnacle
AG
This happens everywhere. Pros and college. We are not unique in this regard.
Barnacle
AG
PascalsWager said:

Boston College was playing in hostile environment against much better competition (Clemson) with much worse talent at EVERY SINGLE OTHER POSITION with their backup QB. He took immediate pressure to the face at his own goalline. And he smartly ran up field for 5 yards. Fearless and confident, we win with even THAT guy last night.

Boston F'ing College's backup QB. We don't need top QBs. Just mere basic competence.

It really makes me question our recruiting evaluation and judgement now. Something I had blind belief in up until now. Calzada's numbers were questionable in HS but I deferred to Jimbo's evaluation.

Even still, If he pulls out an elite recruiting class after this season, then then I'll be thoroughly impressed. It would go a long way towards showing that the program is headed in the right direction and that this year was merely a bump in the road.

Even Darrel Royal had some real craptastic seasons followed by great success. I'm very disappointed with this season and BAS says it's more of the same, but I need more data to count Jimbo out.
72jag
AG
They DO NOT come her. They go to OU, Bama, tOSU, lsu, ND, etc. That's why we get the ones like Calz.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
72jag said:

They DO NOT come her. They go to OU, Bama, tOSU, lsu, ND, etc. That's why we get the ones like Calz.

Lol
12thMan9
AG
VatoLocoAggie said:

How many people on this board were alive the last time we won a NC? Name them.
Ronnie '88
cevans_40
AG
My Name Is Judge said:

Last year he quit coaching like dog**** by wk 3

This year he's still coaching like dog**** in the middle of the season

Also I was just answering the question about why blue chip qbs will come here

You are tool of biblical proportion and I say that with all due respect.
Agsttt
Ridiculous threads like this are about the furthest thing from helpful imaginable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.