Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

If no football......will Mond return?

10,935 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rguff38
maroongoon95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would assume NCAA would give seniors a chance to play their last year during ' 21 season under some clause.
Wicked Good Ag
Sadly I hope they don't allow them to get an additional year. While tough and would miss some great players across the landscape the problems we are seeing already in baseball with roster manipulation would be 10 times for difficult in football. I hope they play in spring but if they don't they get year of quality education
Texagsubscriber
He has a redshirt available should he choose to use it.
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
S.A. Aggie
AG
I hope he moves onto the CFL.
William Larue Weller
AG
No

Thank

You
74AnimalA
AG
My personal feelings aside.

I think THAT many EXTRA scholarships to pay for is and Undue burden on the majority of the schools. I might think not.
greg.w.h
AG
74AnimalA said:

My personal feelings aside.

I think THAT many EXTRA scholarships to pay for is and Undue burden on the majority of the schools. I might think not.
I think the cost of the scholarship isn't the most onerous part. It's the lack of revenue from football.
West Point Aggie
AG
Covid 19...19-month off season...August 2021.

Will the zoo wither up or will it go all F16?
Reno Hightower
Why would he stay if he doesn't like it here?

If there's no football he has little reason to stick around.
TexanJeff
AG
They play in spring and Mond plays

NFL draft moved to June.
halfastros81
AG
Iv'e never heard him say or read that the said he didn't like A&M.

Not trying to defend him. I disagree totally with him on Sully and with the actions he's taken wrt Sully but it's possible to feel strongly negative about one aspect of A&M but still be happy with the overall picture.

I think they'd have to tell the guys that would have used all of their eligibility up this season to move on. I think the driver would be the non-P5 programs that couldn't afford to pay for the extra scholarships. Wouldn't be considered a level playing field.
Alpha Texan
AG
I bet you're right. There's too much money in it to cancel the season and not enough money lying around for an extra 25% of athletes on the football team for a year so I expect a season starting in January. I think COVID will likely have a surge around that time as a result of families coming together to share it and then college students getting back to college towns, but by that time, enough people will have had it that everyone sees it's similar to the flu.

I could really go for some sports soon. I miss making whatever relevant game is on the event for a watch party with the roommates and friends to come over and fire up the smoker. But, I'm also set to only take 9 hours and graduate in the spring so if all sports get moved to then, I would actually have time to go watch all the sports in person I could ever want.
samhoustonag
I hope he doesn't stay this year.
yell_on_6th st
AG
He'd just wander around campus with that blank look on his face, looking for someone to tell him what to do. Creepy!
sotexag79
AG
Trump 2020 said:

No

Thank

You
+1
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

They say that the level of checklists, progressions, and options that the offense has to make under Jimbo's system is beyond immensely complex and that many of the players, especially Mond, never make it past the 2nd step when they should be making it 4 or 5 levels deep, so if one of these QBs masters the system, I can't help but think Jimbo gives them a hard look.

If this is true then maybe the system is too complicated for the players available , and maybe the coaches should adjust the system to fit the players they have?
Space-Tech
Mond is a C-USA allstar quarterback. As much as I think he should've been benched in favor of Calzada to give him so good legitimate SEC playing time last year to prep for this season, Jimbo Fisher obviously knows more than I do.

With that said, Mond is an Aggie, he's earned his ring and he's publicly stated he loves the university repeatedly throughout this protests.

The 2020-21 season will be canceled, and the NCAA will grant seniors an extra year of eligibility, just like the Spring sports received. I'm fairly confident that a university with a $13.5 Billion endowment, built a $500 Million stadium, and pays a coach $7.5 Million a year can afford it.

And yes, I do think he comes back. His seasons so far haven't been convincing and he needs an excellent senior showing to be a legitimate 1st round pick, most draft boards have him at mid 2nd early 3rd round pick.

Finally, don't be a Karen or Todd, wear a mask and practice social distancing. "MuH FrEeDoMs" doesn't mean much if you're dead.
oldfart79
RED SHIRT "OH MY THE HORROR'' DONT THINK I COULD TAKE ANOTHER YR
oldfart79
RebelYell77
I like Mond...I'm also ready to explore other options at the position.
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

The 2020-21 season will be canceled, and the NCAA will grant seniors an extra year of eligibility, just like the Spring sports received. I'm fairly confident that a university with a $13.5 Billion endowment, built a $500 Million stadium, and pays a coach $7.5 Million a year can afford it.

It's not about whether Texas A &M or other Power 5 schools can afford the extra scholarships... they can. It's about the other schools that can't afford it and the unfair advantage of having those extra players/scholarships available for th eBig $ programs . It takes what they perceive as an already not level playing field and tilts it even more in favor of the big $ programs. Just my thoughts.
88Warrior
They're "students first" right?? If so they've gotten their four year ride ...Time to move on...
fightinag
If canceling the season is what it takes to rid ourselves of him...... bring on the 2021 Aggies
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Space-Tech
Was it an unfair advantage to give Jimbo a $75 Million contract?
Quote:

samhoustonag
9:10a

I hope he doesn't stay this year.
Bingo!
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

Was it an unfair advantage to give Jimbo a $75 Million contract?

Only time will tell on that one but that's not perceived to be the same as having up to 25 more scholarship players at your disposal. There's no doubt the big $ programs already have an advantage and that's my point, this will be viewed by the Fresno State's and Louisiana Tech's of cfb as tipping things even more in the favor of the big $ programs .... or perhaps I'm wrong and they won't care that much... I dunno. Realistically they have no shot at a National Championship anyway.
TyperWoods
Texagsubscriber said:

He has a redshirt available should he choose to use it.

Yes, but alas, that term sounds racist. I'm sure he's uncomfortable taking something that culturally appropriates Native American culture.

Perhaps if they change the term to something that doesn't offend delicate sensibilities.
W
AG
there is no way that schools have the money to have 110 players on football scholarship --- by keeping around the 2020 seniors.

they will get a handshake and a thank you for their contributions
zephyr88
AG
Pretty sure if everything gets cancelled, they'll handle it like spring sports and give everyone their year back.

edit/ not sure how that would affect scholarships
TyperWoods
If they blanket grant a year to all seniors, the transfer portal will be lit with underclassmen peeps who have been waiting to play but now have to wait another year.
MaxPower
I could see him being rostered in an NFL Team so he might be better off leaving. He will be 22 next season and at some point you have to start developing at the next level.
UTExan
S.A. Aggie said:

I hear the Nunavut Narwhals are in need of a running quarterback. It would save him the trauma of having to listen to the Star Spangled Banner.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Noble07
AG
Quote:

I could see him being rostered in an NFL Team so he might be better off leaving.
As a QB? How?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Law Hall 69-72
AG
UTExan said:

S.A. Aggie said:

I hear the Nunavut Narwhals are in need of a running quarterback. It would save him the trauma of having to listen to the Star Spangled Banner.
Some of those Mounties can be pretty mean, though. And then there's PM Blackface.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Nope, he needs to move on. He already treaded lightly with the fans on the football field. After Sully and his protests, it's time for him to go.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.