Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Would you trade SEC membership for a National Championship?

7,099 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rcb05
#Mke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got an off-season question for ya TexAgs!

I get sucked into discussions with Longhorns quite a bit about the events of 2011/2012, and something I always have found interesting is how many of them believe that had A&M stayed in the Big 12, even just for 2012, we would've won the National Championship that year with Johnny. It's an interesting belief considering how often they bash us for our lack of national success, to even concede that we probably would've won a championship in 2012 under different circumstances. So it got me thinking....would you be willing to trade SEC membership for that National Championship trophy we have all so desperately desired for decades?

I'm curious to hear y'all's opinions because I guess it really comes down to individual priorities. Moving to the SEC was 100% in the best interest of Texas A&M University at the time, and I am still so glad to be a part of the best conference in the country. But what good is conference affiliation with no championship rings? Would you leave the SEC if a football national championship was guaranteed? Bored in quarantine. Gig 'Em
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
NO. Benefits of SEC accross all sports is to much to pass up even for a natty. Plus long term the move to the sec hurts Texas more than a natty would have.

Lastly Kevin sumlin would have received lifetime contract like jimbo way better.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Anyone who says "no" is an idiot.
Unemployed
AG
I'll take the natty.

All day, every day.
West Point Aggie
AG
Many of the same people who believe we would have won the natty in 2012, also told us we could not compete in the tea sip 12 and would utterly fail in the SEC...easy to say that after JF won the heisman.
greg.w.h
AG
If being in a weak conference is a requirement for a national championship, do you care if you win an NC??? And why do you want to win one so badly that you would want to be in a conference with Texas and OU??
(Removed:110240)
AG
#Mke said:

Got an off-season question for ya TexAgs!

I get sucked into discussions with Longhorns quite a bit about the events of 2011/2012, and something I always have found interesting is how many of them believe that had A&M stayed in the Big 12, even just for 2012, we would've won the National Championship that year with Johnny. It's an interesting belief considering how often they bash us for our lack of national success, to even concede that we probably would've won a championship in 2012 under different circumstances. So it got me thinking....would you be willing to trade SEC membership for that National Championship trophy we have all so desperately desired for decades?

I'm curious to hear y'all's opinions because I guess it really comes down to individual priorities. Moving to the SEC was 100% in the best interest of Texas A&M University at the time, and I am still so glad to be a part of the best conference in the country. But what good is conference affiliation with no championship rings? Would you leave the SEC if a football national championship was guaranteed? Bored in quarantine. Gig 'Em

texas fans are just trying to make us second guess our decision to go to the SEC.

There is no way we make it to the national championship game with both Alabama and Notre Dame undefeated at the end of the season.
Reno Hightower
In 2012 an undefeated SEC Champ Alabama and an undefeated Norte Dame would've still been the NC matchup. An undefeated big12 champ A&M would've been on the outside looking in.
Agsuffering@bulaw
We would not have made the BCS game. Probably would not have won it, b/c Saban would have spent a month studying and prepping for JFF.

But even if so, no. Sumlin was in over his head but we would have suffered years longer than we did. The program never had depth on defense and always lacked discipline. The fortunate 2012 schedule prevented the lack of depth from being exposed by a good opponent. It was not sustainable.

The bigs only got up the balls after the second worst chokejob in history. Most big $ programs would have canned him after 2016.
Phoenix1
Absolutely not. I would not trade the enjoyment I get from football now compared to the nausea of playing in the Big 12 for anything- even a natty. The people who are saying yes didn't live through the Hell that was the B12- multiple games a year untelevised, you needed a deep space probe to pick up the radio broadcast, the conference allowed tu to rub everybody else's face in dog crap, etc. the Big 12 sucked & was the darkest period in our programs history. Going to the SEC was the best decision we ever made.
TopoTacos
AG
I love the SEC, but a true playoff Natty is forever.

You could put us in the Sun Belt for all I care if it meant we got a ring (not sure how that would be work but you get my point)
halfastros81
AG
I understand it's a hypothetical question but the practical answer in my opinion is the A&M football program will year over year, decade over decade be more competitive, more highly regarded and ranked, etc as a member of the SEC than they'd ever have been in the Big 12. I think the chances of getting to the National Championship are also higher as a member of the SEC. It's clearly harder to go unbeaten in the SEC but you also can lose a game and still likely have your shot. How many Big 12 teams have won the National CHampionship vs how many SEC teams over the past 20 yrs? Jmo, but to me that answers the question.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

I love the SEC, but a true playoff Natty is forever.

Its a notch in the belt. The glory fades after a few years. Being significant every year is where it is.

GT had a flash-in-the pan season and quickly reverted to the mean. Clemson had 1981. Danny Ford had several other top 25 finishes, but never finished higher than 8th and eventually got pushed out over politics. Then they wandered in the wilderness until God miracled Dabo.

Remember during the Fran years how they would constantly play clips of the 98 Kstate game? We would look back at that one shining moment and not feel so terrible, while white walk-on WRs had career days against us.

We should have seen the 98 game in the context of the later RC years for what it was: a reasonably talented team, with good Sr leadership, that was able to overcome RC's inability to handle pressure for a single game, against an even more talented and even more butt-tight HC. Of course, that was only after Ricky set the record against us and we gave up a late 4th quarter lead to tu. It was only before we got mudholed by tOSU in the sugar bowl. It was only after we got mudholed several times in the next few years. It was only before it was clear that RC could not coach against the spread and that we were getting killed in recruiting.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I mean, the truth is in 2012 we lost to two teams that were not as good as us, and squeaked by two teams that we should have throttled. Several SEC programs were also in the dumpster at the time in Auburn and Arkansas (who I guess still is).

It's not a given that we would have gone undefeated in the Big 12. Even at 13-0 you'd be hoping you weren't the odd man out between Notre Dame and Alabama.
Al Bula
AG
C@LAg said:

no.

the money is in the revenues. not the championship.
and the revenues are in the SEC.
plus, we already "sell out" almost every game.

a championship is a little point in time that quickly becomes irrelevant as more time passes.
trolling political forum got tiring so you decided to try this one? Bad bull.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TXAggie2011
AG
Let us know when we can expect our dividend checks in the mail.

I wouldn't trade one national championship for our SEC membership, but who cares about the money if you aren't winning. Money in college sports is only a means to an end.

And that end is winning championships.
OKC~Ag
f sec, give us the natty any given year
ABATTBQ11
AG
**** yeah I would
AgfromHOU
AG
Hell yeah. And to those who say the glory fades, tell that to the national champs shirt and gear I would wear every day for the rest of my life.
TexanJeff
AG
Natty all day!!!

The whole point of moving to the SEC was to get elite recruiting to win the Natty.

We didn't win plenty of natties in the big 12
TyperWoods
What's the BDF's playoff record?

I'll take the SEC,

AND

a NC while Jimbo is here.
Meximan
Ask this question again when Jimbo rolls up three titles.
levypantsEOY
The answer is National Championship. It's what you play for.

Posters who prefer success-by-proxy are the kinds of guys who bend down to tie their shoelaces without bending their knees.
psybj
Ags tied for 10th best chance at NC.
Clemson wakes up every year on 3rd base and think they hit a triple.

Some prefer a trophy.
Some prefer to watch great, interesting games all season as their team faces other great talent.

Only in the SEC can a team lose one and feel very comfortable that as Conf Champ they will be in The Playoffs.

ODDS TO WIN NATTY
Clemson Tigers
5/2
Alabama Crimson Tide
3/1
Ohio State Buckeyes
3/1
LSU Tigers
10/1
Georgia Bulldogs
12/1
Florida Gators
14/1
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
20/1
Oklahoma Sooners
25/1
Texas Longhorns
33/1
Oregon Ducks
40/1
Texas A&M Aggies
40/1
USC Trojans
40/1
Auburn Tigers
50/1
Michigan Wolverines
50/1
Penn State Nittany Lions
50/1
Wisconsin Badgers
50/1
Iowa Hawkeyes
80/1
Iowa State Cyclones
100/1
Nebraska Cornhuskers
100/1
psybj
CptnTight
I would take a ticket back to the Big 12 now. We'd get to play tu every year, win big 12 titles, and ez tickets to the playoff on the regular. We will be lucky to reach the playoffs once a decade in the SEC
Sq 17
do we get to be in PAC 16 and win a natty ?
Bison
AG
This sh&& again?!?

If we stay in the Big XII, it means that Sleepy is still coach, b/c the only reason he got canned was his opposition to moving to SEC. If Sleepy is coaching, JFF never sees the light of day except maybe as a receiver. We do not win the Big XII, we have another substandard year, and MAYBE Sleepy gets canned at the end of the 2012 season. Then what?
Sq 17
having all those 1st round OL picks was absolutely the worst
rcb05
AG
greg.w.h said:

If being in a weak conference is a requirement for a national championship, do you care if you win an NC??? And why do you want to win one so badly that you would want to be in a conference with Texas and OU??
Why do you want to avoid being in a conference with Texas and OU so badly that you would give up a national championship?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.