Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Just don't understand the Suspensions

4,308 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JDay
J-Licious
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can understand suspending MG for the rest of the season. They have to send a message and it was a terrible decision by MG.

But Pouncey only gets one game when he repeatedly punched and kicked an opponent? Ogunjobi gets the exact same punishment for pushing a player to the ground?

MR gets nothing? He tried to rip his helmet off. He charged at him and tried to attack him. I think Pouncey should have received several games and MR should have received a suspension and fine as well.

I hope Garrett reflects upon this incident and can find a way to recover from it.

"Garrett has been suspended without pay indefinitely -- at a minimum of the remainder of the regular season and postseason -- and must meet with the commissioner's office prior to a decision on his reinstatement. He was also fined an additional amount. Garrett violated the unnecessary roughness and unsportsmanlike conduct rules, as well as fighting, removing the helmet of an opponent and using the helmet as a weapon.

"Pouncey has been suspended without pay for one game and fined an additional amount for fighting, including punching and kicking an opponent.

"Ogunjobi has been suspended without pay for one game and fined an additional amount for unnecessary roughness, specifically for shoving an opposing player to the ground during an altercation.
DrZ
AG
I am reading Pouncey got three games
oragator
Pouncey got three games.
Aston04
AG
Agreed. Pouncy's act was really bad. He took part in a tag team attempted beating of a player. By the time he was kicking Miles, Rudolph was no where near in danger. He later lied saying he was protecting Rudolph. No that was revenge at that point.
J-Licious
AG
DrZ said:

I am reading Pouncey got three games
Just saw that -- CBS had it wrong. Seems like a little less of an injustice but even Deon Sanders said MR should get suspended for instigating that altercation and trying to rip of MG's helmet.
Aston04
AG
But if he got 3- that sounds right....Obviously MG's act was much worse...
J-Licious
AG
Aston04 said:

Agreed. Pouncy's act was really bad. He took part in a tag team attempted beating of a player. By the time he was kicking Miles, Rudolph was no where near in danger. He later lied saying he was protecting Rudolph. No that was revenge at that point.
I think he was honest in his statement that his attack was prompted by revenge and that he didn't really remember what happened next because he "blacked out". Doesn't excuse his attempted brutal attack.

I swear this is not the first time players have swung helmets at each other. It is tough, because I know what MG is demonstrably wrong, but I feel he is being painted as an evil tyrant unfairly and MR is getting a free pass. He was so smug during his post-game interview and looked like a crazy man trying to attack Garrett once his helmet got ripped off (and then threw his hands up dramatically after he got hit).

This whole thing just sucks.
tylercsbn9
AG
J-Licious said:

I can understand suspending MG for the rest of the season. They have to send a message and it was a terrible decision by MG.

But Pouncey only gets one game when he repeatedly punched and kicked an opponent? Ogunjobi gets the exact same punishment for pushing a player to the ground?

MR gets nothing? He tried to rip his helmet off. He charged at him and tried to attack him. I think Pouncey should have received several games and MR should have received a suspension and fine as well.

I hope Garrett reflects upon this incident and can find a way to recover from it.

"Garrett has been suspended without pay indefinitely -- at a minimum of the remainder of the regular season and postseason -- and must meet with the commissioner's office prior to a decision on his reinstatement. He was also fined an additional amount. Garrett violated the unnecessary roughness and unsportsmanlike conduct rules, as well as fighting, removing the helmet of an opponent and using the helmet as a weapon.

"Pouncey has been suspended without pay for one game and fined an additional amount for fighting, including punching and kicking an opponent.

"Ogunjobi has been suspended without pay for one game and fined an additional amount for unnecessary roughness, specifically for shoving an opposing player to the ground during an altercation.
Pouncy got three.

And nothing MR did has generally resulted in a suspension (outside of avoiding the muh racism cries) in the past. Just look at Andre and Courtland from years ago. MR shouldn't get suspended because Garret went psycho.

Had Garret not swung his helmet there would have been minimal to no suspensions. Would have just been some fines.
fieldtrailer
AG
So based on the NFL's rulings, just kick the shi* out of Rudolph?
Texas 1836
AG
Aston04 said:

Why obviously??
Aston04
AG
Texas 1836 said:

Aston04 said:

Why obviously??
I'd say swinging a helmet at a guy with no helmet on is far more dangerous than kicking a guy in the head that's wearing a helmet.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Texas 1836 said:

Aston04 said:

Why obviously??
schmellba99
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

J-Licious said:

Pouncy got three.

And nothing MR did has generally resulted in a suspension (outside of avoiding the muh racism cries) in the past. Just look at Andre and Courtland from years ago. MR shouldn't get suspended because Garret went psycho.

Had Garret not swung his helmet there would have been minimal to no suspensions. Would have just been some fines.
Rudolph fuggin instigated the entire ordeal, but let's not let that little detail get in the way of a good Myles hate.
Bankeraggie
AG
If this is a real question, you should just mail back your diploma. Just wow.
tylercsbn9
AG
schmellba99 said:

tylercsbn9 said:

J-Licious said:

Pouncy got three.

Rudolph fuggin instigated the entire ordeal, but let's not let that little detail get in the way of a good Myles hate.
So?

Had Garret not swung his helmet nothing would have happened. Just like in instances of other fights in the past in the NFL with regards to instigators and retaliations. Just like the NFL didn't suspend Andre or Courtland. That kind of stuff happens from time to time. What nearly never happens is some moron going full roid rage and using a helmet as a weapon. Had Garret not swung his helmet and hit MR this would be a virtual non-story.

But go ahead with the mental gymnastics because he is an Aggie.
Philip J Fry
AG
If I were Pouncy and saw my teammate take a swinging helmet to the head, hell yeah I'm throwing punches and kicking him while he's down.
ebag02
AG
You can't suspend someone for kicking a player in the junk?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28087446/browns-myles-garrett-suspended-indefinitely-steelers-maurkice-pouncey-gets-3-game-ban
Quote:

Rudolph appeared to try to dislodge Garrett's helmet when the defensive end was on top of him after a late hit. Rudolph also kicked him in the groin area from the ground. Once they stood up, Garrett ripped off Rudolph's helmet and took a swing with it, connecting on the top of Rudolph's helmetless head.

Once off the ground with his helmet in Garrett's hands, Rudolph advanced toward Garrett because he felt he had "a bone to pick with him after what he did." That's when Garrett swung the helmet at Rudolph.
jokershady
AG
J-Licious said:

Aston04 said:

I think he was honest in his statement that his attack was prompted by revenge and that he didn't really remember what happened next because he "blacked out". Doesn't excuse his attempted brutal attack.

I swear this is not the first time players have swung helmets at each other. It is tough, because I know what MG is demonstrably wrong, but I feel he is being painted as an evil tyrant unfairly and MR is getting a free pass. He was so smug during his post-game interview and looked like a crazy man trying to attack Garrett once his helmet got ripped off (and then threw his hands up dramatically after he got hit).

This whole thing just sucks.
maybe you're remembering this...

Course this was college

Gator92
AG
I can't recall a player swinging a helmet at another. What I do recall, and havn't seen in some time, is players both taking off their helmets and squaring off against one another. Kink of like NHL dropping gloves. I remember my Dad saying at times, "why would they take their helmets off?". This goes back to the 70's and 80's.

Funny that this is driving ratings. Just proves we are human.

Texas 1836
AG
Bankeraggie said:

If this is a real question, you should just mail back your diploma. Just wow.
Because no one has ever been injured from being kicked in the head ...
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
If Deshaun Watson or Lamar Jackson would have been the instigator you bet your ass they'd be suspended
Dad
AG
I have no problem with MG getting suspended for the rest of the season. He deserves it.

I have a big problem with the instigator not getting a game or two himself and running his mouth afterward like everything he did was okay. I should have expected this based on the color of his skin.
Gidnik
Myles has had a really bad year this year and i think started to show Suh like tendencies.

"Garrett had already been fined more than $50,000 this season, for punching Tennessee Titans tight end Delanie Walker and for a pair of late hits on New York Jets quarterback Trevor Siemian, the second of which knocked Siemian out for the season with an ankle injury."
unmade bed
I think NFL got it right with the suspensions. Rudolph deserved a game suspension as well, but he will forever be know as "that dude that got his helmet ripped off and then clocked with it" so it evens out
woodlees
AG
Aston04 said:

Texas 1836 said:

Aston04 said:

Why obviously??
I'd say swinging a helmet at a guy with no helmet on is far more dangerous than kicking a guy in the head that's wearing a helmet.
Not necessarily true.
Have taken care of concussions resulting from kicks to the helmet that were pretty significant.
Both types of assaults can be dangerous.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Dog Lord
AG
In the past, a player kicked someone's helmet off and then kicked and stomped on that player's face. They received a 5-game suspension. Myles is getting more than that for a situation he didn't solely contribute to (although of course he played a role and deserves a suspension).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2610577

Quote:

The 6-foot-6, 320-pound Haynesworth stomped on Dallas Cowboys
center Andre Gurode's head Sunday, knocking off his helmet, then
kicked and stomped his face. Gurode needed 30 stitches to repair
the cuts left by the tackle's cleats
JDay
I have to backup that this isn't the first time. Can't find video, but I remember Randy White taking off the helmet of a Bears players and hitting him with it multiple times. I don't remember him hitting the guy in the head, but I remember seeing the altercation on TV and it being shown in clips talking about how tough Randy White was.

Not trying to excuse Garrett, but this is definitely not the first time this has happened.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.