Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What we Learned yesterday...

5,126 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rwhitlock3
rwhitlock3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tough game yesterday, but honestly, we played better than I expected given how we had played against lowly Arkansas. A few things that stood out to me:

• Why on earth did we keep punting to Jaylen Waddle, he torched us all game?? Alabama had 3 scoring drives that were under 33 yards due to being set up with such a short field
  • Our lack of a pass rush is very concerning and bit us time and time again on third and longs yesterday as the Crimson Tide converted 3 third and longs for touchdowns. Makes getting Fadil Diggs and one more elite speed rusher (hopefully Donell Harris) really important for the 2020 recruiting class.
  • Isaiah Spiller looked great on the first drive and showed a glimpse of what he can be, but his fumbles are killing us right now.
  • Kellen Mond accounted for 91% of the total offense with 354 total yards. He had 90 yards rushing (including sack yardage) to almost triple the output from our running backs. He is literally having to move the offense on his own. He is not perfect as he still misssed a couple of big throws and takes too long in the pocket, but he is putting forth a solid effort and playing at a high enough level to where I have confidence we can go 4-0 over this easier stretch of the schedule.

https://quickwhits.home.blog/2019/10/13/alabama-game-review/

Let's see how far this team can progress over the easier part of our schedule.
Russ79
AG
What we learned yesterday:

that we can't learn on the fly that a flare pass in the flat needs to be covered by someone
that we can't even protect Mond against a three man rush
that our special teams lacks a lot to be desired
when the other team rushes only three and with no running game getting receivers open is difficult
that this team is no way ready to play with the big boys in the SEC West
localag242
Speed. We still lack speed.
AggieTrainer
It's probably not fair to say we learned it yesterday, I think this should have been learned vs. Auburn.

-Everything that Russ79 said
-We have issues far beyond individual talent or personnel groups
-Jimbo is not the answer most of us were hoping he'd be
-Nothing has changed. Just watching the product on the field, it would be easy to believe that Sumlin or pretty much any of the other guys we've had in the last 18 years were coaching this team
LesterHaze
localag242 said:

Speed. We still lack speed.

This. Will not be fixed this season.
Cuterebra
AG
We just need more talent at all positions and throughout the coaching staff.

Once those pieces are in place, it'll really be something to see.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
I learned I have the ability within me to no longer give a **** about Aggie Football.

I trimed my fence line and then watched the The FIA World Endurance Championship 6 Hours of Fuji while stoned and had a splendid day.

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
rwhitlock3
AG
Russ79 said:

What we learned yesterday:

that we can't learn on the fly that a flare pass in the flat needs to be covered by someone
that we can't even protect Mond against a three man rush
that our special teams lacks a lot to be desired
when the other team rushes only three and with no running game getting receivers open is difficult
that this team is no way ready to play with the big boys in the SEC West

I think the highlighted part is what is most frustrating to me. We can't get any sort of pressure bringing only 4 and sometimes 5, but people can pressure us with just 3. I am hoping that some of the redshirt freshman can be ready to take a starting spot next season so that our offensive line play improves... Guys like Luke Matthews, Colton Blanton, and Tank Jenkins were all 4 star recruits with pretty good offer list that will be entering their third year on campus so they need to challenge for starting spots... If not, then 2020 will be another frustrating year.
wyoag93
AG
I learned that Alabama has the most talented offense in the Saban era, and they will easily be SEC champions...again.
moz
We really have to stop those long punts that lead to long returns
Sponge
AG
TAMU74
AG
That we will NEVER over take bama as long as Saben is the HC.
AvidAggie
AG
TAMU74 said:

Let's start with Auburn then LSU.
rwhitlock3
AG
AvidAggie said:

TAMU74 said:

Let's start with Auburn then LSU.
I agree that we need to focus on getting to Auburn's level first. They have actually won the SEC West twice and beaten Alabama twice since we joined the SEC, LSU has not been able to do either of those even once... Recruiting is the way to get there and Jimbo has us pointed in the right direction
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.