Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jacksonville InfoThe Landingsuestions

8,741 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by flaggie69
Hogtown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello Aggies....Gator here. Glad ya'll are coming to Florida. Just like I did when ya'll came to Gainesville last year, I will put together some information for you over the next few days and post it here. I also will answer, to the best of my ability, any questions you may have.

General information..... the stadium is on the St John's River and a ferry runs back and forth between the stadium and The Landings, which a collection of bars and restaurant located directly across the river. Fishing is excellent in late December. Lots of golf all around. Amelia Island is nearby as is St. Augustine. For the "Ladies who Lunch" polo is played several times a week in Ponta Viedra just south of Jax.Weather is similar to College Station except more humid which means hotter heat and colder cold for a similar temperature.

If you have any specific questions, post them here and I'll try to get the answer. Please be aware when I was dealing with ya'lls questions on Gainesville I was asked questions about (1) where to buy crack (2) how much for, and the location of, prostitutes (3) where the white women are at etc... I knew the answers to those questions because I live in Gainesville. Unfortunately, I don't have that type of intimate knowledge of Jacksonville.....I don't mind making a few calls to see if I can run that type of data down, but I think the probability of success is low. Basically, my data will likely be limited to food, drink, sport, lodging, directions, etc... but I'll try to get the answers to the more arcane questions too.

Beat the hell out of NC State!
Lateralus Ag
AG
OP title fail.
Sponge
AG
Front Range Ag
AG
Good on ya, sir. That's mighty kind of you.

However, I'm going to have to dock you 3 points for your incorrect spelling of "y'alls".

Good luck against the Harbaughs!
Hogtown
Lateralus Ag said:

OP title fail.
A fair criticism. I have to blame my iPad. It is four years old and has developed a mind of its own. It does weird stuff without my knowledge. Will not be long....a matter of weeks....before it becomes a target for sighting in my rifles. The other day it inserted a sentence I had deleted days earlier into the middle of a client's email. Patience is wearing thin.
Basketball and Chain
AG
I booked a hotel in Jacksonville Beach. Should I be staying near The Landing instead?
Hogtown
Basketball and Chain said:

I booked a hotel in Jacksonville Beach. Should I be staying near The Landing instead?
B'ball......No. You did the right thing. As with most pro stadiums, the Gator Bowl is in not a real upscale part of town. Heck, I wouldn't even go to The Landings except on a game weekend or for a drink after work (it is right downtown). No worries on game weekends, the police make sure the local riff-raff stay away from visitors. One thing to always remember about Florida....visitors are the life blood....if a visitor is impacted it is really serious business. The police will give a little stick action to the local dirt bags at the drop of a hat. The Jax Beaches are fun....good bars..good eats...laid back atmosphere...etc. You would think you were in the panhandle as opposed to being 15 miles from a metro area. Good choice.
Cancelled
AG
I was going to go and then I saw the air ticket prices. No thanks...I'm not spending $2000 with airline, food, game tix and hotel. Kind of bummed about it, but it's just not worth it.
wbt5845
AG
My MiL lives on Amelia Island so we'll stay there for as long as I can stand it. J-ville is awesome in December.
Agijud
AG
How far is Jax from Panama City Beach? Own a condo there and trying to figure out if it would make sense to stay there.
tk for tu juan
Less than 1.5 hours to Daytona International Speedway and the recently opened Motorsports Hall of Fame; 2 hours to the Kennedy Space Center. Was at the KSC for the final launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis, didn't get to see much of the museum, would like to go back to see the Astronaut Hall of Fame and newer exhibits
LeonardSkinner
I'm from Jax. Happy to supplement Hogtown if there's any other questions.
LeonardSkinner
Agijud said:

How far is Jax from Panama City Beach? Own a condo there and trying to figure out if it would make sense to stay there.

5 hours, give or take. Not near close enough to consider as a place to stay, even for a day trip to Jax.
LeonardSkinner
The Landing is okay. It is almost 100% restaurants and bars at this point. One nightclub, Maverick's, a "honky-tonk."

The Jacksonville Town Center, located near the juncture of I-295 and FL-202 (J Turner Butler Blvd) is where you're going to find more, and better, restaurants and shopping.

The Beaches will welcome your dollars. A good number of hotels, bars, and restaurants.

Five Points and Riverside are on the west side of the river, just minutes away from downtown. If there's a "hipster" locale, it's Five Points. Kickback's is a bar in Riverside whose thing is how many beers they have available.

St Augustine is about an hour down the road. Easy to get caught in the tourist traps they set, but there are some gems.
aggiehawg
AG
How about road issues through the hurricane stricken zone in the Panhandle?
LeonardSkinner
And of course, Whataburger.

Neptune Beach:
Atlantic Blvd and Penman Road.

Jacksonville:
Beach Blvd near Southside Blvd.
Philips Highway, near the intersection of I-95 and FL-202 (Butler Blvd).
On University Blvd, west of where it intersects with I-95.
On Normandy Blvd near I-295.

Clay County:
Fleming Island, near US-17 (Roosevelt Blvd) and CR-220, south of I-295.
Orange Park, on FL-21 (Blanding Blvd) south of I-295.
LeonardSkinner
aggiehawg said:

Parents drove through there a couple of months ago. No major issues even then.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks. The Hubs and I get tired of the Interstate and like to see a little more scenery on long road trips. We are talking about it and he asked about problems.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Hogtown said:

Lateralus Ag said:

OP title fail.
A fair criticism. I have to blame my iPad. It is four years old and has developed a mind of its own. It does weird stuff without my knowledge. Will not be long....a matter of weeks....before it becomes a target for sighting in my rifles. The other day it inserted a sentence I had deleted days earlier into the middle of a client's email. Patience is wearing thin.
I like this guy. He can stay.
Token
AG
i've been to JAX a few times. there's nothing to do if you're under 50, unless you like sitting in malls or restaurants. There's the crystal beach but that's a good drive
LeonardSkinner
aggiehawg said:

Thanks. The Hubs and I get tired of the Interstate and like to see a little more scenery on long road trips. We are talking about it and he asked about problems.

Oh, you mean like non-interstate roads? Hm... I hear Pensacola and Tallahassee are doing fine, but I'm not sure about in between, and as far as scenery between Pensacola and Jacksonville... Tallahassee is basically it. I hope you like trees.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Hogtown said:

Lateralus Ag said:

OP title fail.

There should be an app for this. All it would need to do is make a target on the screen....
LeonardSkinner
Token said:

i've been to JAX a few times. there's nothing to do if you're under 50, unless you like sitting in malls or restaurants. There's the crystal beach but that's a good drive

Token... you never call, you never write, and you take down my city with a (somewhat accurate) hot take?

(Formerly known as aggie kid)
aggiehawg
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

aggiehawg said:

Oh, you mean like non-interstate roads? Hm... I hear Pensacola and Tallahassee are doing fine, but I'm not sure about in between, and as far as scenery between Pensacola and Jacksonville... Tallahassee is basically it. I hope you like trees.
We have this goofy tradition of finding towns with odd names like Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky and Toad Suck, Arkansas and doing short videos like we are tour promoters for those towns. Just one those funny things that make trips even more memorable for us. All either one of us has to say is, "Call 1-800-MyMonkey," and we both immediately remember that trip and die laughing.

Laughter. Keeps a marriage going during trying times. Twenty years for us in six days.
LeonardSkinner
Bagdad has the obvious name, just east of Pensacola.
Midway, I suppose is about halfway through Florida, just west of Tallahassee.
A whole host of Indian names everywhere.
Suwannee River, notable as part of the state song of Florida, "Old Folks at Home."
Olustee, the site of the largest Civil War battle in the state.
Roger Goodell
The Landing is where the shooting was for the video game tournament
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks! I'll add those to the list we are working on. Appreciate it.
Hogtown
aggiehawg said:

LeonardSkinner said:

aggiehawg said:

We have this goofy tradition of finding towns with odd names like Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky and Toad Suck, Arkansas and doing short videos like we are tour promoters for those towns. Just one those funny things that make trips even more memorable for us. All either one of us has to say is, "Call 1-800-MyMonkey," and we both immediately remember that trip and die laughing.

Laughter. Keeps a marriage going during trying times. Twenty years for us in six days.
Hogtown
LeonardSkinner said:

Bagdad has the obvious name, just east of Pensacola.
Midway, I suppose is about halfway through Florida, just west of Tallahassee.
A whole host of Indian names everywhere.
Suwannee River, notable as part of the state song of Florida, "Old Folks at Home."
Olustee, the site of the largest Civil War battle in the state.
What about "Two Egg" MsAggieHawg? It' NW of Tallahassee.
Hogtown
LeonardSkinner said:

Token said:

Token... you never call, you never write, and you take down my city with a (somewhat accurate) hot take?

(Formerly known as aggie kid)
I will defer to Mr Skinner in Jax matters....he is a local whereas I live 70 miles away. I will chime in when needed on fishing, beer, whatever..
Hogtown
aggiehawg said:

No problems that I am aware of ONCE you are away from the coast. Stay out of the Mexico Beach area. I am in the eminent domain business and I have not heard of any significant road issues in the panhandle proper.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks. Appreciate it. Funny enough but I was doing a google search for my old law school roommate who had lived in Jax for awhile (her family was Navy and lived there) moved to Chicago where I lost touch. Turns out she's now in Neptune Beach! (That's about 30 minutes from Jax, correct?)
LeonardSkinner
Token is being a little harsh, but he's not far wrong. If you have be constantly stimulated and entertained to have a good time, then Jacksonville isn't the best place for that. It's not a buffet restaurant where you can put anything and everything on your plate and go.

It's more of a family style, big servings of home cooking place. You can pick one big thing at a time, and enjoy it, whether it's one of the beautiful beaches, 18 holes of terrific golf, visiting some of the 80000 acres of municipal parks (in addition to several state and national parks in the area), etc.
LeonardSkinner
aggiehawg said:

Thanks. Appreciate it. Funny enough but I was doing a google search for my old law school roommate who had lived in Jax for awhile (her family was Navy and lived there) moved to Chicago where I lost touch. Turns out she's now in Neptune Beach! (That's about 30 minutes from Jax, correct?)

If I can be pedantic, in some ways Neptune Beach is technically a part of Jacksonville. But if you're driving from the stadium to Neptune Beach, it is about a 30 minute ride.
aggiehawg
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

aggiehawg said:

If I can be pedantic, in some ways Neptune Beach is technically a part of Jacksonville. But if you're driving from the stadium to Neptune Beach, it is about a 30 minute ride.
I stand corrected. Cannot always trust the internet, why I asked. LOL. Been 25 years since the last time I was in Jacksonville, to visit her.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.