Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Take away the pass or take away the run?

2,846 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Franklin Delano Bluth
Tommyboy26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know it probably won't matter, but vs Bama, would you rather the Ags take away the run or the pass?

I say take away the run personally. Tua is so good and he'll likely torch us but that crockpot slow cook Bama offense wears you down on the run. I'd rather try to get into a shootout and let Mond run around.

But I know very little about stuff.
Dddfff
AG
Same. Do your best to contain the run and make third downs as long as possible. Hope the secondary plays amazing and/or some of Tua's passes are off.

We need for them to play a little sloppy (unlikely) and for us to play clean (I worry we will press to much on the road for this) to make it a game in the 4th quarter.
TexanJeff
AG
Bama is going to score. Period
We just need to somehow keep pace on the road and not make it easy for them like last few years with costly turnovers and dumb plays. And we have to take advantage of the few mistakes they will make.

Especially on the road.
That said, we have to stop run and get pressure on Tua to even have that chance
TyHolden
AG
Howboutbofe.gif
Cromagnum
AG
With the ref factor, perfect play by us will result in basically a tie. It sucks that we seem to need a 1-2 touchdown buffer to overcome bull**** that always rolls our way.
Tosul
AG
Why not both?
Bobcat-Ag
I think that the best plan is to keep using misdirection on where the pressure is coming from as well as disguising the coverage that we are in. We need to try and keep him off balance.

Remember, we are the first real defense that they have faced this year.
85AustinAg
AG
The answer is always the run unless they have a lousy run game to begin with. Skill is needed with the passing game and it is more prone to mistakes. Take away the run with your toughness and athleticism and you'll be in the game and have a shot at the win.
TxAg76
AG
Uh......yes, we should.
Get Off My Lawn
Against this Bama: break but dont bend defense. Assume you have 3 downs to stop them and leave it at that. Regardless of where they are on the field. If you stop them 50% of the time with a stout defense and constant pressure - you give your offense the chance to determine the outcome.

Sure you get a basketball score out of it, but the 4th quarter Bama grind is brutal against all defenses. Unless a team has outscored them by 3 touchdowns coming in to the 4th, I assume that Bama's march has worn out the defense too much to pull off the W.

They win when you play their game. So play a different game. Onside kick. Max pressure. Go for it on 4th down (heck, field position doesn't matter if you run a rigid defense). Maybe you fail spectacularly - but history shows us that going toe to toe with a team as talented / strong / deep / developed as Bama doesn't work out very often.
class_of_26_ag
Get Off My Lawn said:

Against this Bama: break but dont bend defense. Assume you have 3 downs to stop them and leave it at that. Regardless of where they are on the field. If you stop them 50% of the time with a stout defense and constant pressure - you give your offense the chance to determine the outcome.

Sure you get a basketball score out of it, but the 4th quarter Bama grind is brutal against all defenses. Unless a team has outscored them by 3 touchdowns coming in to the 4th, I assume that Bama's march has worn out the defense too much to pull off the W.

They win when you play their game. So play a different game. Onside kick. Max pressure. Go for it on 4th down (heck, field position doesn't matter if you run a rigid defense). Maybe you fail spectacularly - but history shows us that going toe to toe with a team as talented / strong / deep / developed as Bama doesn't work out very often.
That name though lmao
TheWoodsAg
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

That's the Clemson philosophy from the 2 title games, but we're not Clemson.... and we don't have Deshaun Watson.

Jimbo Fisher is going to try and keep his team in the game by running the football, running the play clock, trying to keep the ball away with the short-intermediate passing game and then hoping his defense plays sound fundamental football and hopefully doesn't give up too many plays. Watch his game at FSU against Bama last year when he had his QB in the first half.

Jimbo's teams RARELY get blown out, and it's because he's not getting in Big 12 track meets with a team like Bama.

Make a few big plays yourself, make some plays in the kicking game and force some turnovers and it's a 1-2 score game going into the 4th. Based on our coach's history, I think that's the way he'll play it.
BigOil
AG
No way in hell we get into a shoot out... they just basically blanked ole miss on the road.

We need to control the clock, get TD vs FG and pray its a 21-17 type of game. I don't think we can score that much though. We cover 31-9.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Run a 3-4 defense. We are low on LB'rs so maybe put some DB's in those positions on rotation and Blitz them all day long.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Lawn has it. We lack the defensive personnel to get into a war of attrition with them. IF we defend even 65 plays, we lose unless turnovers and big plays in the kicking game save us.

This means Elko must scheme and playcall more aggressively than he likes. (not a criticism of Elko)

It also means that we need to be running clock offensively every chance we get.
jasonrgr
Take away the third down conversions....run or pass.
halfastros81
AG
Take away explosive plays of any type.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Take away their SOUL!!!
aggiebq03+
Well we've basically proven we can't stop the pass. So hopefully we stop the run.
AggieAL1
The defense should hold its own if we avoid linebacker injuries and Tucker stays in his sectors. Offense will be the problem, notably at the line where we lack experience.

Moore has struggled in all three games and center problems may be dire with the recent occurrences. We'll have to continue six and seven-man protection schemes which gives us only three or four receivers against an exceptional secondary. But it also affords two tight ends for run blocking and an element of mystery in play calling.

Take the points.
Miles711
AG
Strongweasel97
AG
Dammit, no "Why not both" meme.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
You always stop the run 1st... that's football 101....

If you're secondary doesn't understand the fundamentals of tackling you're up a creek....

Any guesses where we are?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.