Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie Freshman QB

7,823 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by vander54
83Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SIAP, but did Mond just set an A&M true freshman single game passing record?

21-34 for 301 yds

Pullig threw for 272 against UH in '92
Reggie McNeals OU game was 8-13 for 191

Pretty good company
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I would have to think at least Kyle Allen has beat him.
Phoenix1
Champ Bailey said:

I would have to think at least Kyle Allen has beat him.

Kyle Allen didn't play until after 'Bama game. He may not have.
Jack Cheese
AG
Bone6 said:

If he did it's a pretty hollow record.

Because it came against ULaLa or because you like to make a-hole comments?
83Aggie
AG
Just looked it up, Allen had 277 yds in the upset of #3 Auburn.
GoodOldAgs
Jack Cheese said:

Bone6 said:

Maybe because ULL was statistically one of if not the worst defensein FBS. Sorry if facts offend you. Good for Mond, but just about anyone could throw for 300 yards on them.
Bone6
Quote:

Because:

-We're in an era when there is more passing than ever and passing records in general are dropping like flies.
-True Freshman rarely start at QB, so the amount of total games he's going up against in general is low.
-It came against a soft opponent.
Ian Neff
AG
Pretty cool.

At the same time, I wish someone that had something to do with Texas A&M Football would set a record for WINNING SOME *****
AnalogyAg
yep, aholeyness confirmed.

congrats to Mond if so.
83Aggie
AG
Bone6 said:

Quote:

Because:

-We're in an era when there is more passing than ever and passing records in general are dropping like flies.
-True Freshman rarely start at QB, so the amount of total games he's going up against in general is low.
All valid, but with the skepticism about Mond's passing ability by some folks, I find it interesting that he's accomplished something no other freshman has done.
Mythotbetterthanyours
Bama gonna set some new records here at TAMU shortly.

We won't be worrying about the records we have now.....
MaxPower
Great but honestly how many true fish have we had start? How many were in the modern era of passing? He is basically being compared against 4 or 5 guys.
Azariah
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

Jack Cheese said:

Bone6 said:

Maybe because ULL was statistically one of if not the worst defensein FBS. Sorry if facts offend you. Good for Mond, but just about anyone could throw for 300 yards on them.

Aren't most freshman starts at the beginning of the season when we are playing cupcakes? That seems like it would make the stats comparable.
vander54
S
It's still a good job by Mond. Over 60% passing and 301 yards is a damn good game.
World's worst proofreader
Jack Cheese
AG
vander54 said:

It's still a good job by Mond. Over 60% passing and 301 yards is a damn good game.

Nah, according to the texags message board heroes it is "hollow".

God I hate this board. I can only guess that any HS prospects or potential coaches must never read texags or they would never want to come to A&M. So many of our fans are garbage.

Tearing down a true freshman who had a good game. Jesus Christ.
rsemingson
Please wait until after LSU to post his stats. Then we'll know.
fieldtrailer
AG
And he did it with a very bad oline, and backups/inexperienced receivers. And kirk, with little contribution. Impressive.
ashley
Bone6 said:

Quote:

Because:

The idea that true freshmen rarely start at QB is something of a myth. More kids are coming out of high schools playing ready every year. In 2016 true freshman started some or most games at UT, Michigan, S Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, FSU, Duke & Fresno Sr just to name a few.
shaynew1
AG
I remember Reggie that game.

And then we got franned.
dtkprowler
AG
I'm sure none of the other A&M Freshman quarterbacks played any cupcake teams. I mean, if they had, they would have like 1000 yards passing in those games....

dtkprowler
AG
MaxPower said:

Great but honestly how many true fish have we had start? How many were in the modern era of passing? He is basically being compared against 4 or 5 guys.
He still had better stats than those 4 or 5 guys...
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Bone6 said:

Ignorant, negative, pointless, belittling success.

Hurray! It's the ironic anti-mediocrity movement here to save us from appreciating anything positive.
sellthefarm
AG
What about Allen against Louisville. Didn't he have a pretty good game...to lazy to look it up?
TexAg15
AG
Sure, it sucks that grown ass men like to belittle an 18 year old. But, doesn't that happen on everyone's board?
vander54
S
Trevor Knights best game last year was against Prarie View and he was

21/37 56.8%
344 yards
3 TD
1 INT

Mond had a better completion percentage and same TD and INT. The big difference is one was a Senior and the other is a true freshman.
vander54
S
TexAg15 said:

Sure, it sucks that grown ass men like to belittle an 18 year old. But, doesn't that happen on everyone's board?

I don't think most boards belittle someone who set a positive record.
GoodOldAgs
vander54 said:

TexAg15 said:

Wrong. Go read some TigerDroppings.
MaxPower
I don't think it's him, it's the stat. This one is no different to me than those stupid baseball stats. "He just set a team record for batting avg in a month for a rookie". Maybe some people think that's exciting but I wouldn't want to be Al Bundy in 20 years bragging to my kids about it like that's some awesome accomplishment.
vander54
S
MaxPower said:

I don't think it's him, it's the stat. This one is no different to me than those stupid baseball stats. "He just set a team record for batting avg in a month for a rookie". Maybe some people think that's exciting but I wouldn't want to be Al Bundy in 20 years bragging to my kids about it like that's some awesome accomplishment.

I get that but this was game 2. It shows potential and promise. If he doesn't live up to it you can say it was hollow but to bash him already just shows that you want to be negative. He has 9-10 more games tjis year. This isn't the same as you remember that one time 20 years ago when I broke that 1 record.
vander54
S
GoodOldAgs said:

vander54 said:

TexAg15 said:

Sorry. Why would anyone want to read that board? Plus if you could link to a thread they bash their player for a strong positive record I would appreciate it
GoodOldAgs
vander54 said:

GoodOldAgs said:

vander54 said:

TexAg15 said:

Sorry. Why would anyone want to read that board? Plus if you could link to a thread they bash their player for a strong positive record I would appreciate it

Exactly. And nah. Why would I do it for you when you're too lazy to do it yourself? Don't say you're "pretty sure" we're the worst if you don't really know what anyone else is saying. You're living in a bubble. We're in the SEC now.
vander54
S
GoodOldAgs said:

vander54 said:

GoodOldAgs said:

vander54 said:

TexAg15 said:

Exactly. And nah. Why would I do it for you when you're too lazy to do it yourself? Don't say you're "pretty sure" we're the worst if you don't really know what anyone else is saying. You're living in a bubble. We're in the SEC now.

Actually I read a lot of boards. No bubble here. Just if you know where it is point it out. Don't say you have proof and then not show it
usmcbrooks
Quote:

Bone6 said:

TexasAGGIEinAR
A true FR threw for 300+ in his second start; regardless of the competition. Jesus Christ, y'all shut the hell up. Better yet, go tell him how unimpressive it is.
TopoTacos
AG
300 yards is always a good marker to hit, regardless of system/opponent. The fact that he was able to do it without forcing the ball to Kirk is also encouraging, because we are going to need production from the young receivers when good teams double Kirk and load the box against our runners.

Bottom line is that he's our QB for the season and I'll take all the progression and development we can get.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.