Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Charlie Strong: Core Values of the Great QB Whisperer

8,575 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Brakeman
PosterFormallyKnownAsRojo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

In reply to TAMU@EDS 1:12pAAG
quote:
QuoteP you are comparing apples to oranges. Mack and Co. are all gone and you cannot say Strong will have the same bad luck. It's like saying how many Aggie QBs has Sumlin put into the NFL? I will not count JFF since he was already on the team when Sumlin arrived. If you do want to count JFF though then you might want to take a look at the season he had and what the national media and even his teammates are saying about him. Honestly I don't know what your intent was with this post since it's not like A&M has pumped out any playoff or Super Bowl winning QBs lately either.
No "orples" here. Strong has a record as Head Coach at Texas: Swoopes, Gentry, and the "Guaranteed Starter."

Strong told Swoopes that he is "the man" at QB, and that he was going to coach him up to being drafted in the NFL as he runs his high octane offense. Swoopes was beaten down during the season by poor coaching, terrible offensive line play, and a miserable ground game that featured one of the best high school running backs I have ever seen (Malcom Brown) who had been coached down. If you look at their play calling and game plan - they obviously were out of their league in the regional conference called the Big 12. All of that is on Strong. The 6-7 Strong.

Next, Strong told Gentry that he only had eyes for him and would not recruit another QB in this class. That fact is even documented by OB. Strong didn't have to GUARANTEE Gentry that he would be the only 2015 QB recruit. Strong is a grown man who understands word choice and commitments. Yet, he didn't keep his word to Gentry. Strong broke his own supposed "core value" when he lied to Gentry and started recruiting other QBs.

Now, Strong has "GUARANTEED" a starting position to another QB recruit. Imagine how Swoopes feels that his own Coach is throwing him under the bus without even giving him the chance to compete for his job. That "Guarantee" also threw Gentry under the bus without him even stepping foot on campus. Isn't it wreckless, classless, and dishonest for a coach to guarantee a position to a player without even seeing the player play a single down at the collegiate level? There is a huge difference in speed, power, and complexity between high school and Division I football.

What is Strong - the QB Whisperer? If he was - he wouldn't be throwing Swoopes under the bus. He wouldn't have made the commitment to Gentry, and he wouldn't "guarantee" anything. Nothing in life is guaranteed - except Charlie making promises he doesn't keep.

So, Strong has a record of QBs at Texas - and that record is a revolving door and failure that now reaches out to kids not even on campus.

QB success is all about surrounding cast of supporting players. Texas doesn't have any cast members and Strong is lying to young kids about abilities. Such dishonesty at Texas has a history that has created a culture of booing players and throwing them under the bus - and that culture isn't changing - it's getting worse.
AGHouston11
AG
Hope the dumpster fire keeps burning
rocky the dog
AG
quote:
The 6-7 Strong.
He's not that tall.
Meximan
quote:
quote:
The 6-7 Strong.
He's not that tall.
TexasAggie_97
AG
quote:

quote:
QuoteP you are comparing apples to oranges. Mack and Co. are all gone and you cannot say Strong will have the same bad luck. It's like saying how many Aggie QBs has Sumlin put into the NFL? I will not count JFF since he was already on the team when Sumlin arrived. If you do want to count JFF though then you might want to take a look at the season he had and what the national media and even his teammates are saying about him. Honestly I don't know what your intent was with this post since it's not like A&M has pumped out any playoff or Super Bowl winning QBs lately either.
No "orples" here. Strong has a record as Head Coach at Texas: Swoopes, Gentry, and the "Guaranteed Starter."

Strong told Swoopes that he is "the man" at QB, and that he was going to coach him up to being drafted in the NFL as he runs his high octane offense. Swoopes was beaten down during the season by poor coaching, terrible offensive line play, and a miserable ground game that featured one of the best high school running backs I have ever seen (Malcom Brown) who had been coached down. If you look at their play calling and game plan - they obviously were out of their league in the regional conference called the Big 12. All of that is on Strong. The 6-7 Strong.

Next, Strong told Gentry that he only had eyes for him and would not recruit another QB in this class. That fact is even documented by OB. Strong didn't have to GUARANTEE Gentry that he would be the only 2015 QB recruit. Strong is a grown man who understands word choice and commitments. Yet, he didn't keep his word to Gentry. Strong broke his own supposed "core value" when he lied to Gentry and started recruiting other QBs.

Now, Strong has "GUARANTEED" a starting position to another QB recruit. Imagine how Swoopes feels that his own Coach is throwing him under the bus without even giving him the chance to compete for his job. That "Guarantee" also threw Gentry under the bus without him even stepping foot on campus. Isn't it wreckless, classless, and dishonest for a coach to guarantee a position to a player without even seeing the player play a single down at the collegiate level? There is a huge difference in speed, power, and complexity between high school and Division I football.

What is Strong - the QB Whisperer? If he was - he wouldn't be throwing Swoopes under the bus. He wouldn't have made the commitment to Gentry, and he wouldn't "guarantee" anything. Nothing in life is guaranteed - except Charlie making promises he doesn't keep.

So, Strong has a record of QBs at Texas - and that record is a revolving door and failure that now reaches out to kids not even on campus.

QB success is all about surrounding cast of supporting players. Texas doesn't have any cast members and Strong is lying to young kids about abilities. Such dishonesty at Texas has a history that has created a culture of booing players and throwing them under the bus - and that culture isn't changing - it's getting worse.
Wow you created a new thread just to reply to me. Imust have gotten under your skin for some reason. Since you felt the need to type this wall of text I only ask that you reply with this. Since I have no inclination to look this up where is your proof that Strong made any guarantees to any player other than perhaps guaranteeing them the right to compete for a job instead of being redshirted. I cannot believe that any DIV-1 coach at a major program would tell players that they have no chance at competing because the job has been promised to somebody else. That would kill him with the players, parents and high school coaches. I will not accept rumors, tweets for third parties, whornfans/sh****bevo or fat Ketch.

I need a direct quote from Strong or one of his coaches on each of the points you listed above. I am far from a t-sip fan and wish only the worst for them but honestly going around and saying the last 6-7 t.u. QB's failed, under Mack, so the same must be true for Strong is a bit silly IMO.
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

Wow you created a new thread just to reply to me. Imust have gotten under your skin for some reason. Since you felt the need to type this wall of text I only ask that you reply with this. Since I have no inclination to look this up where is your proof that Strong made any guarantees to any player other than perhaps guaranteeing them the right to compete for a job instead of being redshirted. I cannot believe that any DIV-1 coach at a major program would tell players that they have no chance at competing because the job has been promised to somebody else. That would kill him with the players, parents and high school coaches. I will not accept rumors, tweets for third parties, whornfans/sh****bevo or fat Ketch.

I need a direct quote from Strong or one of his coaches on each of the points you listed above. I am far from a t-sip fan and wish only the worst for them but honestly going around and saying the last 6-7 t.u. QB's failed, under Mack, so the same must be true for Strong is a bit silly IMO.
I have my sources on the "guarantee" that are impeccable and completely trustworthy. The rest are public knowledge.

i wasn't responding to *you* as much as I was to the sophomoric logic in the quoted post - so don't flatter yourself.

Yes, Charlie is going around making guarantees to kids he is recruiting. Not smart, not honest, and, yes, he will not last long in Austin. Not because he makes guarantees and doesn't keep them - but because he is a poor Head Coach. Can you explain why he hired the WR coach just fired by OU? The same OU whose receivers were gawd awful this past season or two? Who does that? Strong does. He's in over his head and it is showing up in so many places...
Maroon Flash
AG
If Strong will throw the guys on campus under a bus, he will also throw the guy not yet on campus under a bus.

Evidently Strong believes lying to recruits is okay.

Sumlin plays the most talented guys who compete the hardest. That is the right thing to do and pays off in the long run.
TexasAggie_97
AG
So hiring coaches that failed at one spot is the mark of a bad HC? What does that say about Mich St since they hired Snyder? You are making some broad generalizations AND you have not answered by original question of providing any direct evidence of these guarantees. Perhaps you should stop while you are behind.
Wabs
AG
TAMU@EDS - you asked why would any Div 1 coach go around making guarantees???

One word: DESPERATION

That one word describes the state of tu recruiting right now.
AG
quote:
So hiring coaches that failed at one spot is the mark of a bad HC? What does that say about Mich St since they hired Snyder? You are making some broad generalizations AND you have not answered by original question of providing any direct evidence of these guarantees. Perhaps you should stop while you are behind.
You are acquainted with Google, yes? Go Google it.

For example, from the Longhorn's own print:

"Perhaps the first and foremost is the fact that the staff told Gentry he would be the only quarterback taken in the 2015 class by the Longhorns."

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/1/24/7882543/zach-gentry-michigan-wolverines-official-visit-texas-longhorns

Yep, Strong guaranteed Gentry he would be the only 2015 QB recruit in order to get him to commit to Texas. Charlie lied. Charlie will say ANYTHING to get a recruit to commit. That's his true core value.

BTW - State hired Snyder in a lesser role - not the role he had as DC. Ever heard of "The Peter Principle"?
AG
"Swoopes' performance and growth under center is a huge positive for Strong's rebuilding effort. Coordinator Shawn Watson was a key player in the development of Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville, and the veteran assistant is working to mold the offense into Swoopes' strengths. And the mobility of Swoopes will help with a struggling offensive line, while the young quarterback seems to be developing a rapport with receivers John Harris and Jaxon Shipley."

http://bakerdonelson.collegeexpertsclub.com/news/showSports/id/91062

Yep, that Watson, he really had an impact on Swoopes: he and Strong drove that bus right over Swoopes due to their failure as coaches....
Raggy09
AG
Jesus kids you don't have to quote an entire post.
itsyourboypookie
I've done this before on NCAA '13. You make some promise, and when you don't keep them, you lose coaching prestige.

OP is right
Wabs
AG
quote:
I've done this before on NCAA '13. You make some promise, and when you don't keep them, you lose coaching prestige.

OP is right

What other proof do we need? Amirite?
TexasAggie_97
AG
quote:
"Perhaps the first and foremost is the fact that the staff told Gentry he would be the only quarterback taken in the 2015 class by the Longhorns."
And reports say that Gentry has been wavering for about 3 weeks now, long before Kyler took his visit to Austin. In other words Strong says you are my QB and then QB says thanks but I think I'll take a look at Michigan. What is Strong supposed to do not start looking for another QB? You do know that verbal contract cuts both ways.
Josh Painter
quote:
If Strong will throw the guys on campus under a bus, he will also throw the guy not yet on campus under a bus.

Evidently Strong believes lying to recruits is okay.

Sumlin plays the most talented guys who compete the hardest. That is the right thing to do and pays off in the long run.
AG
quote:
quote:
And reports say that Gentry has been wavering for about 3 weeks now, long before Kyler took his visit to Austin. In other words Strong says you are my QB and then QB says thanks but I think I'll take a look at Michigan. What is Strong supposed to do not start looking for another QB? You do know that verbal contract cuts both ways.
Your supposed Maroon sure tinges burnt orange. You just keep making up these arguments to excuse the unethical behavior of Strong clearly lying to recruits. Gentry decommitted *after* Charlie promised another potential recruit that he would be the guaranteed starter, he decommitted AFTER that other recruit visited. He only started to waiver when he learned Charlie had lied to him about being the only QB recruit in the class. Charlie had been secretly recruiting other QBs - according to the Longhorn's own ink - beginning in December, if not before.

Maybe Strong needs to live his own core values before he gives his press conferences. Lying to 18 year old kids is pretty low.
mpaggie06
AG
You can bash Strong all you want, and include facts "documented" by OB, but if you think Gentry left because they were recruiting Murray you're letting your Aggie bias show through a little too much. Kid got sold by Harbaugh when he took the Michigan job. The fact that they are making a run on Murray now is because they were up **** creek on QBs this class. Hail Mary attempt; let's hope they don't catch it.
TexasAggie_97
AG
quote:
Your supposed Maroon sure tinges burnt orange. You just keep making up these arguments to excuse the unethical behavior of Strong clearly lying to recruits.
No I just prefer to not put on my tinfoil hat like you. And for the record I have been around Texags for 14 years now and am part of the Fightin Texas Aggie Class of 97 best damn class ever. Something tells me I had my Aggie ring while you were still on your mommas tit so don't challenge my Aggie loyalty.
AG
quote:
quote:
Your supposed Maroon sure tinges burnt orange. You just keep making up these arguments to excuse the unethical behavior of Strong clearly lying to recruits.
No I just prefer to not put on my tinfoil hat like you. And for the record I have been around Texags for 14 years now and am part of the Fightin Texas Aggie Class of 97 best damn class ever. Something tells me I had my Aggie ring while you were still on your mommas tit so don't challenge my Aggie loyalty.
If you only knew....

Look, Charlie is lying to recruits and he is being called out for it. Defend him all you want - the facts are the facts.

Oh, BTW - I have more patents than you have years since you graduated. I also have more publications. You shouldn't get in a pizzin contest when you are so young and inexperienced.

Oh, BTW, why don't you pay for your Texags? Just asking.
If only you knew...
mpaggie06
AG
BURN BRO.
SpiderM85
Brakeman

There's still a large contingent of Louisville players that contend that Charlie lied to them as well. As a matter of fact, Charlie had to travel to Louisville last week to testify in the trial of a lawsuit against him for this very thing.

Yikes !!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.