Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Random idea along I-45 (photoshppers wanted)

6,845 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by BrayK15
p-wonk01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On my way into College Station from Dallas the past several years I’ve noticed an old, vacant travel center along I-45. What peaks my interest is the large “T” sitting next to the feeder road with great visibility to both directions of traffic. In my mind this is ripe for a fresh coat of Aggie Maroon http://brandguide.tamu.edu/colors.html paint and a “Texas A&M” or “Texas Aggies”. Perhaps you’d have to bevel it as well to get past the branding folks. In any case, this would be an awesome sign easily visible to all traffic. It’s 2.5 miles north of the SH14 and I-45 split near Richland….right next to Leal Tire Center (7006 Interstate Highway 45 W, Angus, TX 75109). The actual building behind it has a pitched roof and could easily become another Aggie Barn as well.

I am unsure of the ownership or ability to do this, but would gladly help out and chip in something to get it done. Thoughts?

Photoshoppers - I don’t have the talent to mock it up, so feel free to have at it.

Yeah, yeah..photobucket

[This message has been edited by p-wonk01 (edited 6/27/2014 10:58a).]
The Ghost of Johnny
AG
Mickey Mantle used to own all of those. They were little restaurants off the highway in very bad locations. They failed.
redd38
AG
vandalism
agmrpink
AG
I'll be here all week

FightingAggie
AG
Pink
rgarza35
AG
If I remember correctly, they were a chain of roadside diners named "Terry's". The last one I saw open was in the late 70s.
Three Seasons
AG
Paint it orange and call it "The University of Texas Football Recruiting Station - Taking back the Sliver"
duddleysdraw88
AG
EOT
Womackster
AG
lol
Tree Hugger
AG
I thought it was Taylor's?
Fitch
AG
I've thought the same thing every time I drive down 45. Would love to have an Aggie way point like the barn on 35.

It's one of these two properties.
https://propaccess.trueautomation.com/ClientDB/Property.aspx?cid=91&prop_id=51515&year=2013

https://propaccess.trueautomation.com/ClientDB/Property.aspx?cid=91&prop_id=51514&year=2013
BQ84 -ORP
AG
Rgarza is correct. It was called Terry's.
duffelpud
AG
Drove past that old Terry's location last weekend on the way back from Las Colinas and commented to my wife that I remembered eating there as a kid. They had a jukebox loaded with country music and I can remember getting a quarter from my pop to play some tunes. I distinctly remember selecting HW Jr's 'Devil in the Bottle'.

Oh, and get off my lawn.

h0ldmybeer
crude, but here you go...

http://i.imgur.com/LFipWIW.jpg
FTA011
AG
for the rook:

[This message has been edited by FTA011 (edited 6/27/2014 3:01p).]
TexasAggiesWin
S
TAMU77CLAY
AG
It was part of the Terry's restaurant group a long time ago. Believe it was Cowboy great Bob Lilly was large investor and not Mantle. In need of maroon paint or demolishion.
SA-AG72
AG
Needs to be painted maroon with a big, white WRTS.
AusAg32
AG
Page one. Make it happen!
fulshearAg96
AG
Great idea to paint it maroon so TAMU is associated with that hunk of ****.
Burnsey
AG
Use to be one on 10 near Urenge on the way to Leweesiana.
Fitch
AG
Raze the building, mow the grass, fix up the pylons and reshape the T to be more square, paint it maroon and add some up lighting for at night. Probably can't get away with using trademarks, but a programmable LED sign with "Congrats & GigEm Class of 20xx" or "BTHO_____" would get the point across.

itsyourboypookie
On it
jickyjack1
A family out of Tyler built them; there used to be one on I-20 between Tyler and Dallas, too. The name of the family was....wait for it....TERRY!
The Ghost of Johnny
AG
quote:
It was part of the Terry's restaurant group a long time ago. Believe it was Cowboy great Bob Lilly was large investor and not Mantle. In need of maroon paint or demolishion.

You are probably right. I thought it was Mantle, but it was like 20 years ago that I heard the story.
ELGINAG
AG
Tuckeys?
BrayK15
AG
I've always wanted to chain an A and a M off of that T every time I pass it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.