Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Randy Simmons

5,927 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 21 sec ago by Justice Beaver
87AustinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just read on the 8/12 practice report that Randy Simmons was in attendance. My gf is "old" McKinney and I always wondered what became of him.

He was my favorite player on those late 80's teams. He had so much potential that unfortunately never fully materialized due to injuries. I still remember how special it was to see those flashes of brilliance that would appear from time to time. Power and Speed.

It is always good to hear that former players are still interested in the program.

DCC99
AG
I was 6 when he was a senior in HS. I remember going to every game that year and watching him. What a beast.
clobberline
If memory serves, he trashed his knee in the THSCA All-Star game and was never really the same player.
falls91
AG
Early injuries put him behind Darren Lewis and he never could overcome that. He was supposed to be the better of the two.
Ags06Win
AG
He was special as a McKinney Lion.

Tearing that ACL in the All Star game was horrible; it changed his entire trajectory.

Haven't heard anything on him in a long time. Hope he's doing well. He and my sister were friends and graduated MHS together.
Recentagdoc
Simmons and Lewis were two of the top if not the top two running backs in the country out of high school. And both in the same backfield in college. I was able to see them both play in high school and college. Both were incredibly talented.
Reno Hightower
Recentagdoc said:

Simmons and Lewis were two of the top if not the top two running backs in the country out of high school. And both in the same backfield in college. I was able to see them both play in high school and college. Both were incredibly talented.

Both of them along with a Florida HS RB named Emmitt Smith
The Zookeeper
AG
Reno Hightower said:

Recentagdoc said:

And that Sanders kid from Wichita wasn't too bad either.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
The Zookeeper said:

Reno Hightower said:

Recentagdoc said:

And that Sanders kid from Wichita wasn't too bad either.

what's crazy is that sanders kid had one scholarship offer to tulsa and only got a scholarship to OSU when one of their commits didn't sign opening up an extra spot. he was not highly recruited.
Neck Kid
I was looking at some 1987 national rankings from the LA Times.

Randy Simmons was #1. Darren Lewis was #12. Emmit Smith was #89.

A couple of other names on the list.

Anthony Ray was #15 out of Wharton. He was a beast. Signed with Baylor.

Cory Booker, the Congressman, was #56 out of New Jersey. Played as Stanford.
junior 07
Justice Beaver
AG
Randy Simmons can throw a football over them mountains.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.