Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie Ring Resize

9,209 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by Martin Cash
nhamp07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ive lost some weight and the ring barely stays on. Should I go through Balfour (free but pay shipping and be without the ring for awhile) or pay 20 bucks and go to a local jeweler.

I know Ill lose the warranty if I go somewhere else...but do I really need a warranty for a 10k ring with no diamond. How could it break?
Palooza11
AG
You never know. I would take it to Balfour though. Its the safe choice
CT'73
AG
I personally delivered my ring to Balfour in Austin. I didn't pick it up myself, but I wanted to make sure they received it. I would NOT take it to another jeweler. But you get to decide. How important is your Aggie ring?
Admiral_ZAX
AG
You may just want to go to a local jeweler and get a spacer to put on the ring. That would let you still keep the warranty and nto have to go without your ring
Bonfire96
AG
I had to do the same thing. It's definitely worth it to be without it for a few weeks (as hard as that is), but Balfour will resize it or fix it if anything were ever to happen to the ring. I know someone who had to have it cut off because it was obstructing blood flow to the finger. Just send all the pieces in to Balfour, get a brand new Aggie ring for under $80.
AgBQ07
AG
I'm actually doing the same thing right now. I lost 20lbs over the last 6 weeks and I have another 20lbs left to go in order to meet my goal weight.

My ring is already slipping off like crazy, but I am waiting until I'm done losing weight to see my final ring size. After that, I will only send it to Balfor because I'd rather it be taken care of right than to let some random Habeeb do lord knows what.
rcb05
AG
I lost 80 lbs a couple years ago and just got my ring re-sized 5 months ago (was a miracle I didn't lose it). I recommend sending it in to Balfour. The rings are so expensive now (Men's 10k with no diamond is over $800!) that it's still worth it to have that warranty. Gold is a soft metal, so if the ring ever gets run over, caught in the garbage disposl, etc., you'll probably have to have it re-made.
TxAginAz
AG
That "random Habeeb" might just tell you to get your fat fingered ass out his store if you come off like a racist ahole.

*********************************************************************************************************************
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

[This message has been edited by TxAginAz (edited 7/6/2010 12:15p).]
chick79
AG
quote:
get a spacer to put on the ring

Do this... you might get fat again!
SteadicaTm
AG
ive lost 60 lbs since last summer and i heard if it is more than 2 sizes you get a new ring. anyone know if thats true?
nhamp07
AG
That's what it says on the website.
Bonfire96
AG
You basically get a new ring either way. They are one piece of gold now, not two. I had mine remade with just one size difference.
AgPrognosticator
AG
It's humorous to think that everyone has posted about losing weight...

I thought Aggies weren't supposed to lie, cheat or steal.
oldschool87
AG
No matter what your decision is. Use Balfour. Do not use anyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will be very, very, very sorry.

[This message has been edited by oldschool87 (edited 7/6/2010 1:17p).]
musket
AG
What did you use it for a lap band?
Wakebrad
AG
I debated getting it done locally. Glad I didn't. Balfour's process was pretty painless. Just mail it to them with $10 for return shipping and it was back in 3 weeks.

To make the ring smaller, you could just get a spacer which wouldn't void the warranty.

I would not consider going anywhere but Balfour for real work. If you're ring size ever changes again, which could cost more, you'd want to be able to go back to Balfour. Note that if the size change is > 2 they have to recast the ring.
Boots over Delaware
AG
What about the opposite, ring is now too small to fit?

How do you know what size you need to reorder?
BoozerRed78
AG
I'm certainly not going to argue against taking your ring to Balfour, it's definitely the best choice. However, many moons ago, I had to get a spacer put in mine, cuz I was getting married and wanted to move it from the left hand to the right. I took it to a local jeweler and they did fine. Then, when I got divorced, I decided to move it back to the left hand, so I had to have the spacer removed. Took it to another jeweler, and they did fine, too. The only thing noticeable is that the bottom is smooth from all the work.

And the moral of the story is - if you're thinking about getting married and you wear your Aggie ring on the left hand, leave it there. If she's worth marrying, she'll understand.
rcb05
AG
Boots over Delaware - If possible, you should visit the Ring Office in CS in person. They have sample rings you can try on to figure out which size is right. Otherwise it's a total guessing game.
Aggie1
AG
Any good jeweler can resize any ring up or down. A class ring is not nearly so tricky as many wedding and dinner rings.
Over the years you may have to do it more than once is my experience...
I didn't even know Balfour did resizings...

AAAAAAAAAAg - Air Force Aggie Architect & Administrator from Amarillo, Altus, Austin, Arabia, Arkansas, Africa, Seoul, & now Amman, Jordan '65, '69, '73
Behavior is a mirror in which everyone shows his image - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
hass80
nhamp - I'm not sure where you live, but if you are near CS, you can drop the ring off at the ring office in the alum center and they will ship it to Balfour and call you to pick it up when it is ready. I did this a few years ago. I had to have mine re-sized after my daughter was born. Lost the baby weight, but my hands and feet stayed bigger.

Balfour not only re-sized it, but they cleaned it, took nicks out of it, etc. It looked like new when I got it back. Didn't cost me a penny.
Samo
AG
Under warranty for the life of the ring. I broke the crap out of my finger. My size went from a 10 to an 11 in about a month. The resize it, but it can take a while to get it back from them.
GreenAggie
AG
Just got mine re-sized. I sent it straight to Balfour with $10 check for return postage.

I shipped it in a bubble-lined envelope via USPS overnight (with insurance) so I could track it.

Six weeks later, I received it via UPS and was a happy Ag.

I feel it was worth the effort/wait to ensure that my ring was fixed by the same hands that made it.
kbarj
AG
I sent mine in to Balfour for resizing around 2000 (I graduated in 1977) my ring size had gone up a size and a half. After six weeks I called and was told they couldn't find it. Six months and a couple of letters and phone calls later, "my" ring was returned. It was the right size, had my name inside, but looked brand new...all the wear marks and smoothing from the previous 23 years was gone. Two years ago I needed it have it resized again - I took it to a local jeweler and had it back in 2 days. My experience with Balfour is apparently not common, but it made me decide to just go with a local jeweler.
turnag4
AG
I had mine resized last year after it became too tight, 30 years after graduating. I used my local small town jeweler - also had it "reantiqued" for $40.00 since most of it had worn off. It came back quickly and looking great.
Martin Cash
AG
Most legitimate jewelers won't touch an Aggie ring. Balfour is the way to go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.