Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What year did the A&M/Cougar High game go past midnight at the Dome?

2,636 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by ssolari94
The Real Maroon Blood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question came up, and my parents couldn't remember what year the A&M game (delayed b/c of an Astros playoff game) went past midnight, and the Aggies actually played on two different days in one game.
bobeag
AG
'82-'83 ?
KJN86
AG
1980 without a doubt.
Sawgrass
AG
Yeah, it was 1980. Cougar High won 17-7. The Ags scored 1st just before midnight leading to jokes that they won the Saturday game and lost on Sunday.
MB19
AG
1980. Astros and Phillies had the NCLS game that afternoon in the Astrodome, and the football game didn't kick off until 10:30-11:00 that night.
WBBQ74
AG
1980. I was there. Forgetable year for Aggie Football. Drug scandal early in the year, some guys got kicked off the team. Only an unexpected win over t.u. in Austin salvaged a sorry 4-7 season. Tom Wilson was proving to be a clueless coach.

"Recall.....Step off on Hullabaloo..."
FearNoWeevil
AG
Mosely tripping over pitcher's mound...Wilson burning redshirt of some fish qb to finish game...wonder what happened to that guy?
AgDotCom
Was that the Doug Carr / Cal Peveto drug scandal?

If so, I thought that was in 1979 for some reason.
war hymn aggie
AG
you mean "Drug" Carr, dont you? That WAS his nickname.
panhandleag75
AG
Wilson started Kubiak and cost him his red shirt for one game.
The Reg
AG
Kubiak did not start the game, but did burn his shirt. I really thought that game was in '78
savagesix83
AG
Tom Wilson went from TAMU to Palastine High. Dont know where he is now though.

The only thing worse than a poor loser is a poor winner.
D12Lloyd
AG
They started David Beal at QB and he broke his wrist early in the first half. After halftime, they started Gary Kubiak and burned his shirt... Moseley had been moved to safety? (bad attitude by getting beat out) Beal had just come off a 4TD game against Tech in his first start... Beal did not return until the Arkansas game. Beal QB'd them to the win in Austin.
D12Lloyd
AG
And Wilson went from A&M to Tech for a few years before returning to high school coaching at Palestine.
MallalieuAg
AG
Wasn't Kubiak's first game to play in against BYU?
KJN86
AG
No to ruin your memories of Kubiak, but his shirt was burned against Penn State in '79. Kubiak played '79-'82.
W
AG
the 1980 game at the Astrodome just continued the maroon-n-white's misery in that building. The Ags would not win a game there until 1986.
RC II
S
Palestine or Corsicana?
NE PA Ag
It was definitely 1980 (I saw more doubt above). I was there too. The Astros playoff game went into extra innings and ended much later than planned. I remember listening to the radio with my Dad trying to get an indication of the revised kickoff time. He and I went and met my brother who had gotten us tickets to the game. We were still way too early getting there, but we watched the crew finish changing the stadium configuration to football. I am pretty sure it was close to 11:30 when the game finally kicked off. We got home from the game at around 3:30 in the morning.
cypress-ag
AG
Tom Wilson now works for......Jackie Sherrill. Jackie has a company called GameOn Sports Nutrition. They sell powders and bars to Universities and High Schools as a way to get protein and such in before and during games.
I saw Jackie at a trade show and we talked about the product and Aggie Football. He then introduced me to Tom. He also has Kazmierski's father working for him as well in the Houston area. FYIW....
GiveUsRoom
quote:
No to ruin your memories of Kubiak, but his shirt was burned against Penn State in '79. Kubiak played '79-'82.
The plan was to redshirt Kubiak during his sophomore season, 1980. He hadn't played in the first 8 weeks of the season. According to this report which quotes Kubiak telling the story, he was put in with 11 seconds left in the 4th quarter, wasting the redshirt.
quote:
Eight weeks into the season, things changed. The Aggies were in Houston for a game against the University of Houston in the Astrodome, as Kubiak recounted to the group of students, alumni and other dignitaries at the St. Thomas Champions Club Benefit Luncheon. Two of Texas A&M’s quarterbacks had been injured during the game when Kubiak's coach, Tom Wilson, turned to him with 11 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

β€œHe said, 'Kubiak, get in the game.’ There were two plays left in that game," Kubiak said. "And I said, 'Coach, I can't. I can't go in that game. I'm being redshirted. If I go in that game, I'm going to lose a whole year of eligibility.’

"As you can imagine, a coach fighting for his life, he didn't want to hear what I had to say. So he said, 'You get your you-know-what in that football game.’"

With Texas A&M facing an insurmountable lead, Kubiak went in and threw two meaningless Hail Mary passes to end the game. Just like that, his redshirt was burned and a year of his eligibility had gone down the drain.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5289
Arkansas Ag
It was Corsicana that Tom Wilson coached...

[This message has been edited by Arkansas Ag (edited 6/29/2009 9:38p).]
wtr1975
AG
Tom Wilson did not go from A&M to Palastine or to Texas Tech. He, instead, became a car salesman following the '81 season when replaced by Jackie. He ended up at Tech in 1984. After Tech, he went to Palastine HS and then eventually to Corsicana HS.

[This message has been edited by wtr1975 (edited 6/30/2009 9:51a).]
ssolari94
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.