Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

So the field was wet for the A&M/tu game......

3,950 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by A_MBaseballFan
giddings_ag_06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
and the reasoning for that was that Friday Night Lights was being filmed there all that week and so the field became very saturated. Well, I'm watching FNL and the game at dkr is awful sunshiny and dry. I could have sworn that was the reason I heard. Anyone else notice/remember that?
MW_111
I think the story was that FNL used the field a week or two before the game and destroyed it. The grounds crew tried to restore it in time and left it a sloppy mess. Someone with a better memory might remember the whole "explanation" better, but that is the gist of it. Funny thing is that it hurt Texas much more than A&M.
CStewTAMU
AG
If anything it should have helped us by slowing down some of t.u.'s skill players.
RDH80
AG
I guess the amount of money received from Hollywood is a good enough reason to hoar out the field...
Alley Cat
I thought this was going to be a rehash about the 1998 game.
E
AG
does it even matter?
They Call Me Smoke Draw
Dry field and we win, everyone knows this.
Sarge 77
tu's field sux. They spend to much on personel (players), to take care of their field.
Doesn't our field look great.
LeftyAg89
AG
quote:
If anything it should have helped us by slowing down some of t.u.'s skill players.
Unless we weren't prepared and did not bring the proper cleats.... AGAIN. (circa 1998).

For a field that has such "world class" turf and drainage system, that surface SUX.
Trucker 96
Their field is definitely a POS.
dag07
AG
maybe that's why they are changing to synthetic.

seriously, how hard is it to have a decent field?
AkersN
Texas has the best stadium in the conference bar-none. You guys crack me up.
Beerosch
AG
who cares...we would of still lost that game even if texas' whole team took the same tranquilizers that bevo takes before the game
campbelliah 05
It was clear from watching the game that (this year) the field was wet and it did help us. It was the only reason we halfway looked like we had a defense.
zafzo
Texas has to pull out all the stops when they are playing teams as vastly superior to them as Texas A&M is.
AkersN
"we would of still lost that game even if texas' whole team took the same tranquilizers that bevo takes before the game"

Sorry, I know you dont care but I just wanted to point that you are incorrect. It is a myth that Bevo is drugged. In fact he has not recieved tranqulizers since the 80's. If Bevo was a real Texas longhorn than he would most certainly need drugs but sadly true Texas longhorns were bred out long ago.

The current Bevo is of a particular breed bred for their temperamental nature (though I have seen him gore a guy pretty good before).

The Ranch that has provided the last three Bevos is owned by the President of the Longhorn Breeding Association and I believe two of the last three chief handlers were aggies. They take offense to the myth.

“He’s never been on the juice,” John T. Baker says, adding that the current Bevo was a show champion. “And he’s been trained to be docile.”

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jan/01/sports/sp-bevo1
classof08
AG
quote:
Texas has the best stadium in the conference bar-none. You guys crack me up.

There is a difference between stadium and field. Your stadium is nice, but your field sucks. Same with baseball.
AkersN
The field is part of the stadium and I have never heard anyone complain about it but aggies. In fact, the only statements I have heard recently are from commentators and members of the media remarking on how DKR is probably the nicest college facility in the nation.
MusCHAMP
Do you guys still think Texas watered the field down in 1998? Did CBS steal your signals in 1990? Did Bill Little referee the game in 1963?

You guys have the best conspiracy theories around.
PJYoung
AG
Akners - they're talking about the field, not the facility. DKR looks amazing now. The field for the A&M/Texas game not so much.
Coppell97
AG
After the game, the Longhorns I know acknowledged the turf was terrible . . .
Marathon
The grass for the game was in horrible condition, but that didn't seem to favor the home team, which was weird. That makes me think that it wasn't intentional.
Beerosch
AG
you're right akers i don't give a ****. i was just making a point and you're a d-bag for going that in depth about a stupid comment. however it is a well known fact that bevo is given a heavy dose of semen from those queers who watch over him. i bet you can't prove that one wrong.

AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I like DKR Sooner Memorial. It's irony at its best.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Give Bevo all the semen he wants - steers can't make use of semen!
agracer
AG
quote:
You guys have the best conspiracy theories around.

Don't forget the bad pizza and late night hotel room phone calls in 1999....oh wait!
Ryder
i don't think anyone is of the opinion that the wet sloppy mess of a field helped either side...they just want to know why (considering there was no rain and dkr is alleged to have a world class drainage system) the field was a wet sloppy mess.
hamhorn
I've missed six home games since 1968, and y'all are correct: there are clods and upturned grass after warmups and before the games start. Been this way for the last several years.

It's kind of funny: we have the best stadium and the worst grass, y'all have the best grass and the worst stadium (tackle box).

Unlike what y'all let happen to the field at Kyle Field in 1963 (no tarp during a big rain), there was no watering of the Memorial Stadium turf before the A. & M. game.

Hell, if there had been, it would have helped y'all.
p-wonk01
AG
quote:
Do you guys still think Texas watered the field down in 1998?

I have to say that I do agree with this one. I was on the field that day. No rain that week and had water over my shoes when I would stomp on it. Must have been a heck of a dew that night
MouthBQ98
AG
I have heard too many accounts of the 1998 game, weather the days before the game, the condition of the field, t.u. people admitting or agreeing it was soaked, etc, to think otherwise. Just go watch the game: big sloppy chunks of turf coming up all over, mucky scid marks and divots all over the field, and people falling everywhere.
BaronVonAggie
AG
quote:
It's kind of funny: we have the best stadium and the worst grass, y'all have the best grass and the worst stadium (tackle box).

Our stadium is fine, the style of seating is what helps create an intimidating atmosphere. At a big game when the stands are full Kyle takes your breath away. DKR never has that same electricity or intimidation factor.
If you want to talk about funny look at your idiotic billboard tv screen irradiating the fans in the cheap seats. Call an A&M engineer next time before your idiot AD decides on something like that.

[This message has been edited by BaronVonAggie (edited 1/8/2009 4:13p).]
MW_111
Because ribbon boards are where it's at.
poopoonika
I actually like the ribbon boards...
RVHorn
The hard part is wetting the field only where the Aggies step.
Gil Renard
AG
RVwhorn-

or how only Major had food poisoning from "his" meal.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.