Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Coachin Quotes

1,877 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by AgRyan04
Cowtown Raider
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Ags;

Football coaches, Shelby M an' Yogi come up with some great lines. Here are some of my favories:

"We're glad Earl (Campbell) is comin' back for his senior year. We have some senior defensive players who've started every game against UT an' not tackled Earl yet." Steve Sloan, Tech head coach

"When the water came thru the roof and stopped the game, I walked right to the window to make sure it was raining." Shelby Metcalf, Texas A&M

When asked what he thought of his Tampa Bay team's game-day execution, Coach McCay said, "I'm damned sure in favor of it!"

"Baseball's 90% mental and the other half's in your mind." Yogi Berra

When a player was dq'd for four F's and one D, Shelby Metcalf said "Son, you spent too much time on one subject."

"I like Rob Peters, Tech QB with 3.95 gpa, becuase like me, he only made one B in college. Course that one B was my high point." Spike Dykes, Tech head coach

Regarding Billy Martin's propensity to fight, Mickey Mantle said, "Billy, he don't jaw for long."

"When Earl's in the game, we thank God for sidelines." Def coordinator at Texas Tech when asked how he prepared for Earl Campbell

"Earl may not be in a class by himself, but it sure don't take long to call the roll." Bum Phillips, Houston Oiler head coach

"Who IS that guy!??!" SWC def coordinators as Texas Tech TE James Hadnot rolls up over 1,000 yards rushing, while still wearing # 86.

To every QB recruit from 1965-1990 "We'll change our offense to maximize your incredible passing skills. Trust me." DKR, UT head coach

Your turn. Got any quotes ya'll all like?

Guns up!!

Cowtown Raider
"You just shot an unarmed man!!" "He shoulda armed himself." Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

the enigma
"our kids played their hearts out today, the other team was real tough..." RC Slocum after every game, win or lose
4stringAg
AG
"Pass me that fifth of Old Crow"--current ttu coach Mike Leach

Sorry, Cowtown, couldn't resist

"Beating Texas is like eating Blue Bell ice cream!"--Coach RC Slocum
9wins
"half the teams in country lost today"
nate99
here are some from my favorite coach:

http://users.mfi.net//~jfwallace/spurrier.html

Steve Spurrier is often known for his witty comments that are humorous to Gator fans, but seen as fighting words by opposing fans and coaches. Coach Spurrier always says, "You aren't supposed to like your opponents... especially if they are beating you." Well, he is beating all his opponents and always has something to say about it.

After Florida State was involved in the Foot Locker Scandal (players going on shopping sprees at Foot Locker courtesy of boosters) after its National Championship season:

"You know what FSU stands for, don't you? Free Shoes University."

After this comment, he wondered aloud about all the shiny new cars in the FSU players' parking lot:

"I'm not saying anybody broke any rules; I'm just saying there was a feeling of, well, those kids are driving awfully nice cars. How's it happen?"

Commenting about Danny Wuerffel's lack of emotion regarding F$U's late hits:

"Danny's a New Testament kind of guy. He turns the other cheek. Now, I'm more of an Old Testament guy. You know, an eye for an eye."

After a blowout win over Kentucky in 1996:

"These sort of games don't prove very much. All it proves is we're better then Kentucky."

When asked if he was surprised at a dismal crowd at Vanderbilt in 1998:

"Surprised? It's Vandy. There must have been something good on TV."

When told Florida was 15 wins behind Georgia in the series and asked if he would be around to see Florida catch up:

"I don't know, 15 years is a long time."

When asked by reporters why he went for a last second passing touchdown in Athens against Georgia while the Gators had a huge lead:

"Because no visiting team has ever scored 50 points in this stadium and we wanted to be the first."

After Florida blew out LSU in 1996 after only scoring only 28 points against the Tigers in 1995 and knowing that LSU's defensive coordinator sent the 1995 game tape to the Nebraska Cornhuskers before the Fiesta Bowl disaster the year earlyer:

"Hopefully LSU's defensive coordinator won't be giving clinics on stopping the Gators next year."

After Kentucky tried several onside kicks in Florida's 1997 win:

"If I had a defense like Hal Mumme has, I would be trying them on every kickoff."

On Tennessee's 1998 success:

"If you play close games, you're not going to win them all. Miracles will not continue forever. Somebody asked me if Tennessee could go 13-0 again and I said, 'If some miracles keep happening for them, sure.' But you can't rely on miracles."

After Florida's 1996 win over Tennessee in Neyland Stadium:

"They said it was going to be real loud and I admit it was... during pre-game warm-ups."

On the destiny of Tennessee after the 1996 Florida win:

"You can't spell Citrus Bowl without UT."

On Tennessee's second straight appearance in the Citrus Bowl:

"They should hang a sign outside that says, "Winter Home of the Tennessee Volunteers."

When asked about how he felt being in "Big Orange" country by Tennessee reporters, Spurrier replyed:

"I thought this was Vanderbilt country."

After hearing that a fire in the Auburn athletic dormatory burned over 30 books:

"The real shame was that over half of them hadn't even been colored yet."

When South Carolina booed a late Florida touchdown in 1997:

"We haven't had anybody mad at us in a while for scoring. We needed that."

After the 1996 game against Arkansas when Florida won 47-7, when jogging off the field a angry Arkansas fan shouted, "Run it up some more! You've go not class Spurrier!" Spurrier shouted back:

"We love it when you accuse us of that."

On the 1998 Florida Gator Football team:

"We didn't play up to our potential last year. We only scored 50 points once and only one team accused us of running up the score."

Cowtown Raider

memag;

Fire away!! For a guy, ahm pretty insensitive.

nate;

!!Muy excellente!!

Cowtown

GoatBoy
"Bullcrap!" - RC Slocum
PlanoGuy
now you know where Stoops got his confidence.

---> #8 in 2002?
raider aficionado
"I'm so mad, I could throw up!" R.C. Slocum

Nothing good has ever come out of Austin.
CamSamAggie
"We're gonna win because our mamas and papas are better than their mamas and papas."

- Bear Bryant before facing t.u.
W
AG
"Here's my business card"

Said by a former SMU coach while pinning a $100 dollar bill to a high school bulletin board after another college coach had just posted his card.
KilgoFoSho
AG
I can't believe no one's posted this one yet:

"You ever had a big ol' bowl of Blue Bell ice cream?"
BQ Mole Man
AG
I guess an all time classic was born when a newspaper reporter mentioned that A&M had the reputation as a win-at-all-costs program and questioned whether or not the players were being taught to lose gracefully.
Charley Moran's response: "Hell, I didn't come here to lose!"

"In the end Friday, there were the usual mocking chants from the UT faithful billowing down from the packed Kyle Field grandstands.
'Poooor Aggies.'
'Keep R.C."
--Houston Chronicle, 11/24/01
navy57
S
<< "In the end Friday, there were the usual mocking chants from the UT faithful billowing down from the packed Kyle Field grandstands.
'Poooor Aggies.'
'Keep R.C."
--Houston Chronicle, 11/24/01 >>

sips have short memories.

I remember seeing an airplane circling Rice Stadium as Air Force was drilling the Horns in the Bluebonnet Bowl. It was towing a banner that said "Aggies for Akers."

In 1997 a smuggled banner unfurked from the 3rd deck, east side of Kyle late in the 4th quarter. It said "Aggies for Mackovic."

As to coaches quotes, Wayne Hardin was the head coach at Navy back in the early 1960's. After Navy had crushed Army in Roger Staubach's national TV debut, a reporter asked him,"Coach, what was the turning point of the game?"

Hardin replied,"When we stepped on the field."

Spurrier can't top that for in-your-face arrogance.

Gig 'Em, Aggies !!
navy57
S
Since Steve Spurrier has been mentioned, does anyone know why he wears that visor?

I'll give y'all a shot at it before I tell you why.

P.S. Come to think of it doesn't Stoops sport a visor, too? The reason could be the same.

Gig 'Em, Aggies !!
LOYAL AG
AG
This was a baseball quote. Before Texas Tech came to Olsen in 1993, Tech coach Larry Hays was asked if his son, then the coach at Lubbock Christian, had given him any tips on hitting Aggie ace Jeff Granger. Hays' response was something to this effect: "I asked, but he said he couldn't help, that his guys hadn't seen the ball at all against him." Granger set an NCAA record with 21 K's earlier in the year against LCU.

"Your function is to send money to the government, not to understand what the government does with it."

- Dave Barry
jb01
"Where's the catfish?" -L. Davis
Jeff84
AG
One of the best Shelby Metcalf stories I've run across regarded t.u. coach Abe Lemons. In one game that the Longhorns were losing, Abe was very upset with the officiating. During a timeout, he walked up to the referee and asked "If I called you a S.O.B., would you give me a technical foul?"
The ref answered, "Well, if that happened, yes, I would have to". Abe then asked "Well, what if I just THOUGHT you were an S.O.B.....would you still give me a technical?". The ref answered,"I can't give you a technical just for what you think". Abe then said, "Well, I think you are an S.O.B!!!". The ref was so perplexed, he didn't know what to do.
BostonAg74
On the John McKay Quote: The way I heard it, McKay was asked by a reporter in a post game press conference what he thought of the execution of his offensive line. His reply was actually, "I think that's a good idea"

On the Spurrier joke:

Q: Why does Steve Spurrier always wear that visor?
A: To hide the circumcision scars

Another Abe Lemons story: Abe was cussing out his team at halftime for a low scoring effort in the first half. He walked up to one of his star players and asked him how many points he had scored. The player replied sheepishly, "One". Lemons came back and said, "Son, you scored one more point than a dead man."

Some Bill Peterson quotes:

Reporter: Do you think it's going to rain?
Bill Peterson: What do you think I am? A geologist?

"Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season. One word and one word only: Super Bowl."

"You guys line up alphabetically by height"

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."

Prexys Moon
AG
You might call Spurrier arrogant. I would love some of that fire in our program.

All time favorite quote, Shelby Metcalf to a player who had 4 F's and a D at midterm-
"son, looks to me like you are spending too much time in one subject".
USN Ag
How 'bout when a reporter was asked if Bum Phillips was concerned that Earl Campbell couldn't finish the 1 mile run in training camp?

Bum's reply: "No, we've never been 1st and mile."
Moscin
AG
Once read where Shelby M. was asked about the pressures of coaching at Texas A&M and the SWC. His reply :

"Hell around here; one week they're naming a street after ya..the next week they're chasing you down it"
Pontificator
Shelby Metcalf commenting on his star, Claude Riley's nickname "The Crockett Rocket":

"I'm sure glad he's not from Tucker."
BlaineD
AG
I always dug this one about Bear Bryant - don't know who said it exactly, but it goes like this:

"He'll take his'n and beat your'n. And then he'll take your'n and beat his'n."

Why the hell did we ever let him go back to 'Bama?!
Jeff84
AG
Another Shelby beauty involved how the Aggies always played the marquee opponent in the opening round of Guy V. Lewis' Cougar Classic. When asked why the Aggies seemed to draw the tougher opponent in the first round, Shelby responded "Guy always called me on the phone and flipped a coin to see who would play who. I haven't won a flip yet".
Cowtown Red
Shelby should be cloned and should be the coach of every sports team in the country. Now that would be entertaining.
philiah06
AG

[This message has been edited by phila02 (edited 11/14/2007 9:33p).]
nate99
revisiting all my old SOS posts :-)

If we get him.. i would be so giddy!
huisache
Royal once said he was happier than a gopher in soft dirt.

Akers on a ragged win: "It wasn't any kind of artistic success, but I'm mighty partial to any kind of victory,"

unknown (to me): "We saw two great teams battling out there today; their offense and their defense."

Our high school coach: "well, this just sucks!!"
AgRyan04
quote:
One of the best Shelby Metcalf stories I've run across regarded t.u. coach Abe Lemons. In one game that the Longhorns were losing, Abe was very upset with the officiating. During a timeout, he walked up to the referee and asked "If I called you a S.O.B., would you give me a technical foul?"
The ref answered, "Well, if that happened, yes, I would have to". Abe then asked "Well, what if I just THOUGHT you were an S.O.B.....would you still give me a technical?". The ref answered,"I can't give you a technical just for what you think". Abe then said, "Well, I think you are an S.O.B!!!". The ref was so perplexed, he didn't know what to do.

There was an almost identical quote from a baseball manager in the 70s or 80s that I heard.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Check out "Texas A&M & Baseball In No Particular Order"
at tamu-and-baseball.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.