Happy Juneteenth!

1,304 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by pmart
pmart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since the Juneteenth celebration has its origins centered around Black Texans, I thought i would share a small bit of history on a few folks with African ancestry that have contributed to the history of Texas. These individuals all made their mark pre-emancipation, which i think makes them even more impressive. That also partly adds to some of the lack of documentation and records of their lives. I know many of you are well versed in Texas history, so feel free to correct or add any details i may have missed.

First is Esteban/Estevanico who along with Cabeza de Vaca were the first non-natives of the americas to explore the Texas interior after separately wrecking on the Texas coast. He was an enslaved north African who traveled from Galveston to western Mexico becoming a medicine man to the natives. Cabeza de Vaca wrote of their travels becoming the first European to write about their travels of the Texas interior.
https://www.nps.gov/coro/learn/historyculture/esteban-de-dorantes.htm

Next i would include Joe of the Alamo. He was enslaved by William Barret Travis and lived to tell the tale of final moments of the taking of the Alamo by Mexican forces. He was the biological grand son of Daniel Boone, yeah that Daniel Boone. His brother is William Wells Brown, who after his own escape from slavery, became a well known author and abolitionist. Joe seemed to go to great extents to notify Travis's family the tale of his final demise, even risking his own life.
https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Joe%20Article.pdf

Finally, i would mention something that may be classified more as legend than history, but i think research has proven has at least some kernels of truth. The Yellow Rose of Texas. Emily (Morgan) West was an indentured servant (free person in a labor contract) who was both black and white, at the time known as "mulatto", which some also referred to one's skin color as "yellow". The story goes that one of the reasons the Texans were able to overrun the Mexican camp so easily at San Jacinto was that Santa Anna was thoroughly occupied at the time of the attack with Emily in his tent. Some connect this story of Emily West to the inspiration of the song "Yellow Rose of Texas". I don't know if there is recorded historical proof of that connection, but the lyrics of the song would indicate that the unknown songwriter to be black as he referred to himself as a "darky". I would consider this a fourth instance where a person of African ancestry has impacted the history and culture of Texas.
https://officialalamo.medium.com/who-was-the-yellow-rose-of-texas-750c95617241
https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/perspectives-african-american-history/yellow-rose-texas-ironic-origins-state-song/

Sapper Redux
The Yellow Rose of Texas was a minstrel song.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sapper Redux said:

The Yellow Rose of Texas was a minstrel song.
Which neither proves nor disproves the origin story.
Sapper Redux
It's unlikely the author was African American. The phrase "darkey" was part of the minstrel show and the song would have been sung by a white man in blackface. The origin story seems like a nice gloss on what appears to be a song written by a Philadelphia native in the 1850s who ran a popular minstrel show. In fact, the connection between the song and the legend from the Battle of San Jacinto didn't emerge until the 1960s.

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/yellow-rose-of-texas
pmart
Sapper Redux said:

It's unlikely the author was African American. The phrase "darkey" was part of the minstrel show and the song would have been sung by a white man in blackface. The origin story seems like a nice gloss on what appears to be a song written by a Philadelphia native in the 1850s who ran a popular minstrel show. In fact, the connection between the song and the legend from the Battle of San Jacinto didn't emerge until the 1960s.

https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/yellow-rose-of-texas

Well I said it was more legend than history!

Thanks for the correction. I forget that America's favorite entertainment for upwards of a century was to dress like a people they despise and perform just to make fun of them.

Sapper Redux
As one of my advisors always reminded us, the past is a foreign country. They do things differently there. It would be a cool story if it was about the Battle of San Jacinto, but history is rarely so kind.
Rabid Cougar
AG
A truly Texas holiday has gone national....

Now for March 2nd and April 21st.
CanyonAg77
AG
See, was that so hard?
pmart
I have been listening to a lot of podcasts lately about Juneteenth to see if there is any new info I can add to this thread. Not all of the podcast are history based, so they may just do a very brief historical explanation. Something many of them struggle with is explaining the reason for the date of emancipation in Texas being 2.5 years after the Emancipation Proclamation (EP) or even several months after Lee surrenders. Sometimes they will try to explain it away as news travelled slowly in those days, which is what I may have been taught growing up. I recently heard a summarization of the reason which makes sense to me as General Granger and the Union troops did not come to inform of emancipation, but to enforce it.

One of the side benefits of Juneteenth becoming a national/federal holiday for those who enjoy history, is that those who do their homework to explain the event to the masses will better explain the limitations of the EP, the migration slave holders took to Texas to escape it, and the need of force to enact it. At least that is the way I understand this time period and event. Does anyone have more info to explain it? I am also very unfamiliar with what the Texas military is doing post Lee surrender (yeah, I know they won a battle, but not it's implications) and what they were doing when the Union troops arrived in Galveston.

CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Does anyone have more info to explain it?
The President of the United States decreed that slaves in states that were "in rebellion" were now free. Since Kentucky and Delaware did not rebel, their slaves were not freed until passage of the 13th Amendment in December 1865.

Texas, and other states did not consider themselves to be part of the United States, but as members of the Confederate States. Their President was Davis, not Lincoln. So they had no intention of following the dictates of the President of another country.

Once the Southern Slave states, or portions of them, were subdued by military force, then those slaves were freed.

There were no Union troops in Texas before June 19th, 1865, so no one was going to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation before then.
pmart
I don't disagree with any of that, unfortunately when summarized into a single sentence, much of that gets lost. But I noticed it leaves people struggling to make sense of the events and the good conversations or interviews go into more detail.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.