Book Rec: Texas History

1,777 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Apache
Greeze06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to start diving in to Texas history. Any must read books?

Thanks!
TXAG 05
AG
I liked Passionate Nation:The Epic History of Texas. It goes from the Indians up to modern day.
who?mikejones
AG
Empire of the summer moon.
Smokedraw01
I'm a fan of Lone Star Nation by HW Brands.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
dcbowers
AG
I would start with "Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans" by T. R. Fehrenbach. This is the standard by which all books of Texas history should be judged. Published in 1968 and nearly 800 pages long, the book at arts with "pre-historic" Amerind and continues up until LBJ is Master if the Senate. I don't recall any mention of the JFK assassination. Pre-political correctness, if that matters to you.

"Big Wonderful Thing: A History of Texas" by Stephen Harrigan is okay. Harriman's background is as a magazine writer, and the book reads like a series of magazine articles strung together. For example, LBJ and Willie Nelson are given equal time. Also, I did not feel that there were recurrent, overarching themes in the book.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

I would start with "Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans" by T. R. Fehrenbach. This is the standard by which all books of Texas history should be judged. Published in 1968 and nearly 800 pages long, the book at arts with "pre-historic" Amerind and continues up until LBJ is Master if the Senate. I don't recall any mention of the JFK assassination. Pre-political correctness, if that matters to you.
Smokedraw01
Dallas 1963 is an interesting look at Dallas and some of the personalities around at that time. HL Hunt, Rev. Criswell, Stanley Marcus, and Dealey.
Aquin
AG
Lone Star by Fehrenbach would be where I would start. However, while it is a novel, Michener's Texas is a great read and does not stray too far from the truth. I usually buy it for Yankees that move down here.

Early Texas
The Evolution of a State by Symthwick
My Eighty Years in Texas by Zuber
Life among Texas Indians by LaVere,...these are classics and must be read at some point.

The Alamo
13 Days to Glory by Lon Tinkle is the source everyone else works from. Start with it.
Three Roads to the Alamo by Davis tells how Travis, Bowie and Crockett got there. Great read!
Exodus from the Alamo by Lindsey is very good on the final assault

Cattle Kingdom
Turn your Eyes Towards Texas by Marks
Hold Autumn in your Hand by Perry
We Pointed them North by Abbot
Trails to Texas by Jordon
N.American Cattle Ranching Frontier by Jordon
The Time It never Rained by Kelton

Texas Rangers
The Texas Rangers by Webb
Taming the Nueces Strip by Durham
Texas Ranger (Hamer) by Boessenecker
A Hanging in Nacogdoches by Borders

1900 Hurricane
A Weekend in September by Weems....better than the newer Isaac Storm, May have to hunt for the book

Texas City Disaster
City on Fire by Minutaglio

Sam Houston
Sam Houston by Haley
Exiled, the Last Days of Sam Houston by Rozelle

Here are some random ideas

From Can See to Can't by Utley
Goodbye to a River by Graves
Land of Bears and Honey by Truett and Lay
The Last Sheriff by McCollom
Eighteen Minutes by Moore
Sea of Mud by Dimmick
Texian Macabre by Hardin
Charles Goodnight by Haley
Seeds of Empire by Torget
All of Caro's Books on LBJ
The Sutton-Taylor Feud by Parsons

That should get you started. When you finish this group come back and we can fill you up again. There are a lot of good books on Texas....as you would expect.

dcbowers
AG
Another random idea:

"A Journey through Texas: Or a Saddle-Trip on the Southwestern Frontier" by Frederick Law Olmsted
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Quote:

This book was updated around 2000 and adds a little more history than the first edition. I'm on a hunt for Olmsted's book and have seen that the updated Fehrenbach is pretty common at Half Price Books. I picked up a copy recently for $12.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I'd also throw in Texian Iliad to the list. Avoid God Save Texas by Lawrence Wright. I read it recently and will never get that time back.
cavscout96
AG
Quote:

Exiled, the Last Days of Sam Houston by Rozelle
Read this one last year. Great read!
Apache
AG
The Big Rich by Burrough.
A great book about the 20th Century oil men of Texas. Great read!!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

OldArmy71 said:

Quote:

This book was updated around 2000 and adds a little more history than the first edition. I'm on a hunt for Olmsted's book and have seen that the updated Fehrenbach is pretty common at Half Price Books. I picked up a copy recently for $12.
Fehrenbach wrote a book on the Korean War - did not mention A&M once that I can remember!

50 dead 200+ injured ! Second only to West Point in casualties . BGEN Boatner who defeated the Chinese POWs

when they took over a prison camp

was Commandant at A&M Though a West Pointer - no mention of A&M.

Lost respect for him as a result - he was a Texan for gosh sake .
Apache
AG
I recall him mentioning A&M a few times
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Apache said:

I recall him mentioning A&M a few times
link ? Index to "This Kind of War " does not mention A&M OR Texas !
Apache
AG
Link? Gosh no, I'm doing this the old fashioned way... I'm going from memory.
I'll pull the book down & skim to see if I can find it if I have time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.