Aggie author about Midway

2,532 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Belton Ag
kb2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife just watched the recent movie Midway, and is interested in reading more about it to get a better picture without the dramatization that occurs with films. I seem to recall there was a poster here who wrote a book about this battle, and I'd like to get it for her. Can anyone help me out with the book and author?
Skinner1998
AG
Shattered Sword by Anthony Tully and Jonathan Parshall.
kb2001
AG
Thank you!
BQ78
AG
Tony is actually a Techtard not an Aggie, but he should have been an Aggie.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
See George GaY Aggie sole survivor of his crew from the Hornet ! Watched the

battle in his life jacket after he was downed . Believe he or somebody wrote a book about this .
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Bought the book earlier this week. Looking forward to reading it.
BQ_90
AG
Skinner98 said:

Shattered Sword by Anthony Tully and Jonathan Parshall.
This. It's the view from the Japanese side of the war. It's explains how they planned the attack and honestly how it was probable gonna fail no matter what.

It also explains that even if they would have "won" Midway it wasn't going to the be the end of the war either.

It's a long read but damn good
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Shattered Sword is must reading for any WW II student and Tony is d@mn good people!!
thach
AG
FWIW,

From the Japanese perspective, Shattered Sword is tops, and Tony is a great guy!

Other books worth reading about Midway (or that have significant Midway component) are The First Team, A Glorious Page in Our History, Joe Rochefort's War, and lastly, That Gallant Ship.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
With a life-long fascination toward WWII aviation and with a strong interest in the Battle of Midway dating back to 1976 seeing the original movie, I have to say that I'd never really wondered about the battle from the Japanese perspective. Shattered Sword captures that perspective perfectly. It is the best book I've ever read about the battle; I've read a couple of other works, including one by Mitsuo Fuchida (sp?), a Japanese aviator who participated in the battle, although I've read there are some issues with his work.

The new movie of Midway does seem to take some information from Shattered Sword, and I thought the movie was damn good. Yes, it does have issues, and it does seem to bite off a bit much in its attempt to set the stage for Midway, and in so doing gives these earlier events (Pearl Harbor, Coral Sea, Doolittle's Raid, among others) very much a Cliff's Notes feel.
pagerman @ work
AG
FWIW, titan is getting some good pub for his book from Dan Carlin on Hardcore History.

Episode 65 "Supernova in the East IV" covers the Battle of Midway and he makes repeated reference to "Shattered Sword" and what an excellent book it is and praising the level of detail.

Got to say, it was pretty cool hearing that, and I'm hoping it gets him a nice little pop in sales.
Aggie12B
AG
what is the name of Titan's book?
Skinner1998
AG
Titan's book is Shattered Sword
Aggie12B
AG
Skinner98 said:

Titan's book is Shattered Sword
Thanks, don't know how I missed it since it was in the post right above mine (and also in almost every post on this thread). My meds must be kicking in.
Skinner1998
goose91
AG
George Gay, who is an Aggie, wrote an autobiography called 'Sole Survivor: Torpedo Squadron Eight - Battle of Midway'

Sole Survivor

Omega6464
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

See George GaY Aggie sole survivor of his crew from the Hornet ! Watched the

battle in his life jacket after he was downed . Believe he or somebody wrote a book about this .
Ensign George Gay was the sole survivor of Torpedo Squadron 8 (VT-8). They flew Douglas Devastators and were shot down to a man. However, the Japanese fighters keyed on the torpedo bombers and this distracted them from the approaching American dive bombers (flying SBD's - Scout Bomber Douglas).

It was the dive bombers that lit up three Japanese carriers and carried the day.

So VT-8's sacrifice was not in vein. It was critical to the American victory!
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
Omega6464
Ensign George Gay was the sole survivor of Torpedo Squadron 8 (VT-8). They flew Douglas Devastators and were shot down to a man. However, the Japanese fighters keyed on the torpedo bombers and this distracted them from the approaching American dive bombers (flying SBD's - Scout Bomber Douglas).

It was the dive bombers that lit up three Japanese carriers and carried the day.

Omega6464

Belton Ag
AG
But what about Ensign George Gay?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.