What Happens When They Find a World War II Bomb Down the Street

2,108 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by $240 Worth of Pudding
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In German cities, it means alerts, traffic, evacuations, and at least a little anxiety.
What Happens When They Find a World War II Bomb Down the Street
by Andrew Curry - Atlas Obscura

Quote:

I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE bomb down the street by text message . . .

What, my wife wanted to know, what were we going to do?

This question is not as unusual as one might think, at least in German cities and others hit hard during the war. Between 1940 and 1945, Allied forces dropped 2.7 million tons of bombs on Nazi-occupied Europe. That's about 1.25 million explosive objects in totalranging from small incendiary charges meant to set fire to wooden buildings to multi-ton "blockbusters." An estimated one in five bombs dropped failed to explode, which translates to about 250,000 duds. Often, the explosive-packed shells penetrated several feet into the ground, and were later covered up by rubble and debris from other, more successful explosions.

This means many German cities are, more or less, built on top of live explosives. Western cities such as Cologne, Duesseldorf, and Bremen, which are closer to air bases in Britain and full of industrial targets, were particularly hard-hit, and bombs regularly turn up there. Berlin, then and now the German capital, was a major target, too. Since the war's end, more than 2,000 live bombs have been recovered here. Some experts estimate 15,000 more may remain hidden under the fast-growing city. In the surrounding state of Brandenburg, the scene of bitter fighting in the last months of the war, police deal with 500 tons of munitions each year.
74OA
AG
Consequences.
Ciboag96
I've spoken with the project manager over the London games who was in charge of removing unexploded ordinance from the Olympic park construction site. Amazing effort.
CS78
Honestly though, if the dang thing didn't go off after falling thousands of feet from a plane, what could make it go off?
AtlAg05
AG
I think the main response is, are you willing to take that chance and start ripping it out of the ground?
JABQ04
AG
The amount of bombs that are still found is amazing and also shocking at just how ****ty our bombs were in WWII. A large bomb exploded in a field in June of last year, just randomly. Luckily it was early in the AM and no one was around. In 2014 a utility worker was killed in Germany when his shovel struck a buried bomb that he didn't know was there. I think there was an incident later year also involving someone being killed from wwii munitions.
74OA
AG
Many UXO's are inert, but many have intact explosives and fuses that have become ever more unstable over the years.

"Even now, 70 years later, more than 2,000 tons of unexploded munitions are uncovered on German soil every year."

In Germany alone......
BQ78
AG
About 10% of the bombs dropped in World War II did not go off for various reasons, however almost all of those fell long enough to be armed. The further chemical degradation of the fuses as they sat underground for years have made them even more unstable than the day they were dropped. So armed bombs, degraded fuses make for an explosive possibility.
74OA
AG
JABQ04 said:

The amount of bombs that are still found is amazing and also shocking at just how ****ty our bombs were in WWII. A large bomb exploded in a field in June of last year, just randomly. Luckily it was early in the AM and no one was around. In 2014 a utility worker was killed in Germany when his shovel struck a buried bomb that he didn't know was there. I think there was an incident later year also involving someone being killed from wwii munitions.
It was the technology of the time and it cut both ways. London
Eliminatus
AG
BQ78 said:

About 10% of the bombs dropped in World War II did not go off for various reasons, however almost all of those fell long enough to be armed. The further chemical degradation of the fuses as they sat underground for years have made them even more unstable than the day they were dropped. So armed bombs, degraded fuses make for an explosive possibility.

Mechanical safeties also corrode and break after time. WW1 munitions are still a danger to this day I'm certain parts and that is from over a century ago.

I'm a UXO tech and the current rate of malfunction is still approx. 10% for modern stuff. Our stuff is soooo safe that it often is TOO safe and won't detonate.

Another bad thing during war is that new, experimental fuzes will be made and not fully tested before batches of them are used in war time.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
CS78 said:

Honestly though, if the dang thing didn't go off after falling thousands of feet from a plane, what could make it go off?

There have been people in recent history who have found civil war cannon balls that exploded after 140+ years in the ground, so...

As for the UXO in Germany, my brother is an EOD guy. When he was stationed in Germany he got called out a couple of times to deal with this very thing....actuly they would assist the German EOD guys as needed. He said the worst on they found was some dude who was a metal detecting buff or some such and would find lots of UXO. He would take it home and POUR THE POWDER DOWN THE SINK. When someone got wind of it, they evacuated a rather large area. Lol.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.