A&M's history department

3,253 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Twice an Aggie
Demosthenes81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A random fact that just crossed my desk. According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, A&M was tied for 3rd in 2017-18 among public institutions in the number of BAs awarded in History (162). We are tied with Cal State Long Beach and behind tu (2nd) and UCLA (1st). Among all schools, public and private only Southern New Hampshire had more so fourth over all.

Not bad for an Engineering school.
DrEvazanPhD
Mabel Choate said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Hopefully we include a Barista course as part of our curriculum to give them a leg up on the competition.
I'm a history major who makes 6 figures. The idea that liberal arts majors don't make any money is laughable. Sorry your parents made you get an engineering degree you didn't want, but some of us enjoyed college and make a nice living now.
So, i have a history degree as well. But i had to go to grad school too.
expresswrittenconsent
Typical HollywoodBQ
Bodie Broadus
I have heard nothing but great things about the program. Specifically post-Civil War US History. Would I be incorrect? I am curious as to which periods of history the program excels in.
Twice an Aggie
AG
I had a great experience with Early Modern Europe and Russian History while there...great professors. Also had some great Roman history classes.
terata
AG
I respect A&M's History Department. I wish they would offer Dr. Mark Mirabello a position on the faculty.
zannlaw
terata said:

I respect A&M's History Department. I wish they would offer Dr. Mark Mirabello a position on the faculty.
People may be cautious of a Prof that has been involved with Ancient Aliens and has a fan club.
Smeghead4761
What I would be interested to see is the number of degrees as a percentage of graduates. IOTW, how much of A&M's place on the list is due to the fact that A&M simply has a huge number of students? (2nd largest public university in the country last I looked, ~300 students smaller than Central Florida.)
Athendor
AG
Was a history major that graduated in 2016. While I spent my college days accomplishing nothing of note I deeply enjoyed the classes and most professors. My particular favorites were Dr Katherine Untermann and her senior seminar on The American Empire and Dr Lorien Foote and her History of The American Civil War class. I would say the department is quite diverse in time periods studied but severely underfunded. They could use a more solid and broad focus. (see center for study of The American Civil War at Virginia Tech) Sadly Glasscock is a dump and what few programs exist for History students are poorly marketed. On a side note my adviser who was a part time adviser part time faculty member was my hero and without him I doubt I would have graduated! Thank you Dr Smith!
"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward."

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
terata
AG
<People may be cautious of a Prof that has been involved with Ancient Aliens and has a fan club.>

His specialty is those marginalized in all aspects, much like the posters on the history board.
Smokedraw01
mporterco07 said:

I had a great experience with Early Modern Europe and Russian History while there...great professors. Also had some great Roman history classes.

Reese?
veryoldcoach
AG
Dr. Haskel Monroe was a great prof. of the Antebellum South and the War Between the States. He was a good man.
Twice an Aggie
AG
Chester Dunning for the Russian classes and Early Modern Europe.

Also took a great History of Christianity class
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.