Book update

2,692 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ciboag96
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy folks. Time for another update on my book on the 1812-13 revolution in Texas. Short summary of my journey: 2015-16 master's thesis. 2017-18, first draft, Jan.-Aug 19 second draft, Aug-now Third. And I'm nearly done.

This book has taken a lot longer than I would have ever dreamed, but it's very complex. My wife complains that I'll never finish, but I'm getting there. Unlike a scholarly work by a professor on a timeline, I've been able to explore a lot of angles that have been overlooked by other writers on this topic. I have no doubt that I've gone far beyond anything they've ever done. It's not even close. I have all of their sources, plus some they definitely never saw.

The biggest insight, I guess for a general history discussion, is how error creeps into history, digs its claws in and won't let go. A lot of historians, either from time constraints, preconceived notions or source limitations, simply adopt these whole cloth and perpetuate them. Then you get people saying, "well, of the 10 articles on this topic, 9 of them are sure of this fact." But then when you peel back the onion on their sources, it turns that all 9 of them are essentially repeating one source. But they THINK it's multiple sources, because of the way errors perpetuate themselves in an echo chamber.

I won't get into all the detail, but I'll frame one of the key issues in my work: Most historians are wedded to a scenario on how the expedition came about that in the first place posits a 1830s mentality into 1812. But these are generations, and they changed in the old days just like they change now. This is like interpreting all of World War II as if it were fought by Hippies from 1970. (Think "Kelly's Heroes" as authentic history).

In the second place, the standard (there is actually disagreement, don't get me wrong) interpretation is based on a very surface reading of the facts. For example, they take a letter written to James Monroe, and interpret him as consenting because he never takes a certain action. But when you put all of the letters in a big spreadsheet, as I have, including tags showing travel times for the news, you realize that Monroe can't possibly know Fact X before event Y takes place. Once you see it, you can't unsee it, and the whole initial premise falls away.

This is where technology comes into play. The standard view is based on research done in the 1930s. This was a historian who had to write a letter to the national archives, wait for a response, get on a train to Washington, stay a month in a fleabag hotel during the depression, sit there with old paper documents, take notes furiously *(but still not be able to transcribe everything), then take a train home, put the notes together, realize their missing something, write another letter, etc.

What I did was first of all exhaust all the research I could do digitally first. This includes getting most of the Spanish archives of Texas in a digital, keyword-searchable format, emailing various archives and buying copies of documents for a few dollars, and searching through digitized census files, digitized books, etc. Then armed with a better set of questions and ideas as to what I'm looking for, I went to the National Archives, and rather than combing through all of it there, I just photographed everything, brought it home and went through it there.

My overall point is I found a lot of stuff no one has ever found and was able to see it the way no one has done. But I'm not the only person who can do this. Anybody can. There are a lot of unanswered questions in history, and ones that have been answered incompletely, which can be opened up for future research. I'm living in my tunnel vision world, but think of any point in history where "we just don't know" is a part of the answer, and in pure Lee Corso form, I simply say, "Not so fast!" We're on the tip of the iceberg on this stuff, technologically. Wait 'till artificial intelligence-assisted searches, digitized cursive writing, face-recognition software that works well with portraits as well as photos, and other technologies kick in. "Closed" or "solved" historical puzzles will have to be opened again. Will it reshape every event in history? Probably not. But some event that suffers from really limited source materials like my war, is open and exposed. You're not going to find a new front in WWII. But you might find some Roman source, that combined with a Greek source, compared with an economic source, that identifies a biblical event which is either confirmed or disputed.

When I started this journey, I thought I knew the story 100 percent, now my old understanding looks quaint. I say this because I also think I understand a lot of things from the Civil War or the Pacific in WWII, etc. very well, but am I not being too sure on these now. There is always more to learn.
p_bubel
Quote:

Then you get people saying, "well, of the 10 articles on this topic, 9 of them are sure of this fact." But then when you peel back the onion on their sources, it turns that all 9 of them are essentially repeating one source. But they THINK it's multiple sources, because of the way errors perpetuate themselves in an echo chamber.
This has been my frustration with the internet for years, except you can see the error progress exponentially in real time.

I've come to assume that it's a pervasive problem that affects us more than we realize.

I'm looking forward to reading this book, I hope you finish before I need reading glasses. :P
aalan94
AG
All I have to do is go through a trove of Spanish-language documents that have not been translated. Most of these, I've already referenced second-hand through other authors. But I have to go through them, match them up and look for hidden docs they have missed. This involves triaging them using my limited Spanish. When I identify one that needs an extra look, I can either translate it myself (the end product is only suitable for paraphrasing), or if it's important enough to quote, I have a guy I pay for this.

I have no other research to do, and once this is done, it's superficial edits and then talk to publishers.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
^ Why I could never write a book !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
CanyonAg77
AG
p_bubel said:

Quote:

Then you get people saying, "well, of the 10 articles on this topic, 9 of them are sure of this fact." But then when you peel back the onion on their sources, it turns that all 9 of them are essentially repeating one source. But they THINK it's multiple sources, because of the way errors perpetuate themselves in an echo chamber.
This has been my frustration with the internet for years, except you can see the error progress exponentially in real time
Was just about to post this. I don't know how often I've seen something promoted as "fact", and multiple sources linked to prove the "fact". When you run the links to the ground, you find that they all go back to one "study" or opinion piece.
Smeghead4761
aalan94 said:

Will it reshape every event in history? Probably not. But some event that suffers from really limited source materials like my war, is open and exposed. You're not going to find a new front in WWII. But you might find some Roman source, that combined with a Greek source, compared with an economic source, that identifies a biblical event which is either confirmed or disputed.

When I started this journey, I thought I knew the story 100 percent, now my old understanding looks quaint. I say this because I also think I understand a lot of things from the Civil War or the Pacific in WWII, etc. very well, but am I not being too sure on these now. There is always more to learn.

Not a "new front" in WWII, but how about information that the Japanese high command had info that the a-bombs were coming, and didn't try to stop them? (At the very least, they had warning that the Nagasaki bomb was on it's way and enough info to know that it was probably another A-bomb, and didn't send any of their high altitude interceptors after Bock's Car.) This first surfaced in Japanese language scholarship in 2011, but just made it here this year. https://chicagoboyz.net/archives/61168.html

That's after the declassification of ULTRA files starting in the late 1980s pulled the rug out from under the "Atomic diplomacy" school of thought on the dropping of the bombs. (For a lot more on this, see Trent Telenko's V-J Day posts, starting here: https://chicagoboyz.net/archives/57858.html )

On your topic, I didn't even know there was a Napoleonic era revolt in Texas. When you get published, I'll have another book to my ever-growing "To Read" stack...
dcbowers
AG
Finish strong! Would love to read it when your done.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQ78
AG
Indeed, a lot of people today lament revisionist history but in many cases the history needs revision for this very fact. Some very good historians will repeat the stated narrative, "JB Hood was an addict, Forrest chewed out Braxton Bragg, etc." based on one flawed primary source even after it is debunked. The other thing that makes some of this bad history stick around is it makes for a good story so it doesn't go away (like the supposed confrontation between Forrest and Bragg).
cavscout96
AG
p_bubel said:

Quote:

This has been my frustration with the internet for years, except you can see the error progress exponentially in real time.

I've come to assume that it's a pervasive problem that affects us more than we realize.

I'm looking forward to reading this book, I hope you finish before I need reading glasses. :P

too late here.....
cavscout96
AG
Langenator said:

aalan94 said:

Will it reshape every event in history? Probably not. But some event that suffers from really limited source materials like my war, is open and exposed. You're not going to find a new front in WWII. But you might find some Roman source, that combined with a Greek source, compared with an economic source, that identifies a biblical event which is either confirmed or disputed.

Not a "new front" in WWII, but how about information that the Japanese high command had info that the a-bombs were coming, and didn't try to stop them? (At the very least, they had warning that the Nagasaki bomb was on it's way and enough info to know that it was probably another A-bomb, and didn't send any of their high altitude interceptors after Bock's Car.) This first surfaced in Japanese language scholarship in 2011, but just made it here this year. https://chicagoboyz.net/archives/61168.html

That's after the declassification of ULTRA files starting in the late 1980s pulled the rug out from under the "Atomic diplomacy" school of thought on the dropping of the bombs. (For a lot more on this, see Trent Telenko's V-J Day posts, starting here: https://chicagoboyz.net/archives/57858.html )

On your topic, I didn't even know there was a Napoleonic era revolt in Texas. When you get published, I'll have another book to my ever-growing "To Read" stack...

found this last part particularly accurate in my experience....

Quote:

There was no way that MacArthur would not go there, as replacing people with firepower is the heart of the American way of war.
Ciboag96
Can't wait!
RGV AG
AG
If you ever need any help translating I would be honored to do it or help. NC. I learned Spanish before English and have translated officially before.
aalan94
AG
RGV Ag, I might need it. At least in terms of triaging documents. I'm no longer a premium subscriber, so I can't send messages. But you can go to my blog and ping me from there: http://www.texhist.com/
RGV AG
AG
no worries boss, you can also email me at the three lettered name for Eisenhower @neoclan.net

I will ping you there, would love to be able to help you any way I can. Thanks boss.
aalan94
AG
New Update:
The book is done. Finished. I have some tweaky things, like making sure my footnotes match, etc. but the writing and adding new information is done. Looking to start working on publishers after Jan. 1.
CanyonAg77
p_bubel
Congrats man!
YellAgs
AG
So awesome!
spud1910
AG
whoop!
SRBS
I'll buy it when available.
CanyonAg77
AG
SRBS said:

I'll buy it when available.
Yeah, keep us informed.
ja86
jeffk
AG
Put me down for a copy too! This Aggie history major would love to read what you put together.
Ciboag96
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.