November 5 Anniversary Of This Country Star's Tragic Milam County Wreck

2,059 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bregxit
RobCoTx Development
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.countrythangdaily.com/death-johnny-horton/
BQ78
AG
The Skyline/Hank Williams coincidences are more eerie than Johnny predicting his death or saying we would contact the family from the grave.
dtrAG08
AG
My dad always told me the guy who killed him was an Aggie.
Liquid Wrench
dtrAG08 said:

My dad always told me the guy who killed him was an Aggie.
Found a newspaper article that confirms the other driver was an A&M student.
They were passing on a railroad bridge on Highway 79 near Milano.

The Skyline bit seems like an imaginitive stretch to add color to the story. They both played tons of gigs all over the country, and both probably kissed Billie Jean more than once.
Liquid Wrench
Sidenote, he played Bryan in June of '60

BQ78
AG
I think it is the fact they both played there last gig at the Skyline is the eerie part, not necessarily the kiss.
CanyonAg77
AG
I've often crossed the new railroad bridge, on the way to College Station. Kind of chilling.

And I wonder what became of the student. I can't find the exact name in the AFS directory that is the correct age. One hopes he got his life together, but being involved in a death can't help but screw you up mentally.

The added factor of it being a high profile death, probably means he had reporters looking for him every anniversary. That's got to mess with you.
CanyonAg77
AG
One of the acts was "The Gays". Language has slipped since then.
Liquid Wrench
BQ78 said:

I think it is the fact they both played there last gig at the Skyline is the eerie part, not necessarily the kiss.
OK, I did a little more looking, and I guess that was technically his last "night club" gig. I knew it wasn't his last public performance though. He played one more Louisiana Hayride the next day, and made some appearances back in Alabama before heading up to Knoxville.

Another interesting side note I found while looking at the newspaper archives is that Billie Jean, sorta-legal wife at the time, was playing clubs in Texas as "Mrs. Hank Williams" within weeks of Hank's passing. This was, of course, before she became "Billie Jean Horton." Supposedly, she also dated Johnny Cash while he was married to his first wife. Lady had an eye for talent, I suppose.
Bregxit
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I've often crossed the new railroad bridge, on the way to College Station. Kind of chilling.

And I wonder what became of the student. I can't find the exact name in the AFS directory that is the correct age. One hopes he got his life together, but being involved in a death can't help but screw you up mentally.

The added factor of it being a high profile death, probably means he had reporters looking for him every anniversary. That's got to mess with you.

I have to question the accuracy of the article simply because of it saying the other driver was charged with Intoxication Manslaughter. Intoxication Manslaughter was not a statute until 1993.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.