Any civil war buffs here?

1,975 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by who?mikejones
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are your thoughts of Corb Lund's "I wanna be in the Cavalry". He is a genius in the way he bookends 1 album with two versions of the same song. In the first version a young cavalry soldier is hopeful and optimistic. He is imagining personal glory for himself and he's looking forward to the war.

In the second version that same cavalry soldier is older and the glory he envisions remains unachieved. Instead the reality of war has set in. Instead of glory he finds only misery, disease, starvation, and death.

Thoughts?
JABQ04
AG
That's a good album by the way, but it's mostly true. The early volunteers of 1861 thought it was going to be a grand adventure. Obviously the exact opposite happened. The illusion of fun turned to a quick realization of how ****ty things would become. Look at any other war. The troops left in Aug 1914 across Europe to parades and kissing ladies as they march through towns and the dreams ended up dying in the trenches soon after.

On a side note, Corb Lund is a pretty good musician (for a Canadian). I've been listening to him for about 10 years. If you're in the Houston area he's coming to Tomball in November. I'm thinking of heading up to see him.

This is my favorite song from the album, also named "Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier"

BQ78
AG
Whoever saw a dead cavalryman?

aalan94
AG
By the way, I just finished "Company Aytch" and it's one of the best books I've ever read. Sam Watkins is a poet.
BQ78
AG
I was going to post this in its own thread, but since aalan mentioned Sam Watkins, it made me think of his description of the Battle of Perryville and attacking an artillery position. One cannon fired one shot killing ten men in Sam's company. Poor old Sam suffered from what we call PTSD today as a result of scenes like that. Well this "cannonball" found in a Walnut tree this week in Independence, Missouri is one of 27 balls in a canister round fired in 1862 that could caused the destruction Sam witnessed at Perryville,

https://www.foxnews.com/science/civil-war-cannonball-discovered-in-tree
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ78 said:

Whoever saw a dead cavalryman?

ME!

Summer of '84 Amelia County, Va. east of Amelia Courthouse. Road crew was cleaning up an old road cut and unearthed human remains. State Highway Patrol district commander ( whose daughter worked at Petersburg National Battlefield in the VC) called the chief historian at the park. Chief historian said "lets go see". Sure enough, dead Federal cavalryman ( still had buckles and buttons on him) with a .36 caliber round ball through his breastbone. Lots of small engagements along the River Road during the retreat from Petersburg the first week of April 1865.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
He's also playing Republic BBQ (formerly Red Neck Country Club) in Houston the day before Thanksgiving.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
JABQ04
AG
Yeah can't make that one. (I work shift work) but the performances at Main Street Crossing in Tomball lineup with a day off I have.
who?mikejones
AG
Op title = sapper bat signal
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.