Who was the first red ass?

3,616 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oldord
Brennan22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know how the term red ass came about?
Rabid Cougar
AG
I have no idea of the origin. However, I have heard it used in two different connotations.

The first was when I was in high school and it meant someone, generally a coach, was very pissed off and there was hell to pay.

The second was at A&M with the meaning that the person was VERY motivated, on top of his game, had his sh*t straight.

I have since witnessed Marines using it both ways.

I too use both iterations and usually experience a third version after eating certain spicy foods....
BQ78
AG
At A&M I believe the origin was a fish who was so tough and took the board so many times his hindquarters was red from the strokes but he could tolerate it, thus red ass.
93Spur

At Aggieland c. 1915, according to source.
Brennan22
Thanks for the help yall!
60% of the time, it works every time
Liquid Wrench
What's that bayonet stuck into?
CanyonAg77
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

What's that bayonet stuck into?

The door?
Gator92
AG
Quote:

The red ass dates back to the days of Babe Ruth, and while a precise definition may be elusive, players know it when they see it. Generally, it is a description of sudden rage, which goes hand in hand with a central tenet of a grueling baseball season: constant frustration. Too often, the sting of failure lingers. Once it reaches a boiling point, a dugout toilet might pay the price. Or a Gatorade cooler. Or a light fixture illuminating the tunnel to the clubhouse. Or a room-service cart at the team hotel.
https://sabr.org/latest/carig-appreciation-red-ass-baseballs-most-colorful-turn-phrase

I'm guessing a baseball player.

First red ass Aggie? fish Gil, fish Rudder?

Goose83
AG
Gator92 said:

First red ass Aggie? fish Gil, fish Rudder?

The guys who were going to blow up Baylor in 1926.
oldord
AG
Check out the low quarters on the fish.

With how little concrete there was in 1915, makes you wonder how they were ever able to keep their shoes free of mud etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.