New D-Day Movie

3,367 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aalan94
dcbowers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't believe that this hasn't been mentioned here before. Apparently, there is a new movie about D-Day and Pointe du Hoc, staring Weston Coppola Cage (credited as "Weston Cage Coppola"; Nick Cage's son) as Lt. Col. James Earl Rudder. I'll try to withhold judgement, but the trailer looks to include some low-quality CGI (some of the supporting destroyers appear to be a little post-WW2, for example).

Link to trailer: D-Day Movie (2019)
dcbowers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OldArmy71
AG
Never heard of any of those actors.
Smokedraw01
That can't be real. It's like ever war movie cliche was thrown into that trailer.
JABQ04
AG
That was horrible. Especially like the modern-ish Ranger tab on their sleeves instead of the blue diamond patch, amongst other mistakes.
CanyonAg77
AG
JABQ04 said:

That was horrible. Especially like the modern-ish Ranger tab on their sleeves instead of the blue diamond patch, amongst other mistakes.
Toward the end, one of the patches was peeling off. I guess they used scotch tape, rather than sewing them on.

I also wonder why Rudder didn't shave, apparently.
CanyonAg77
AG
EDIT: Found that it was released in the UK the first of July. Currently scheduled for a US release in mid-September.

Reviews at the link below

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10239930/reviews?ref_=tt_ql_3

Quote:

Having recently seen some decent output from the much maligned label of Asylum I did think that a little more care might have been taken on this obvious attempt to cash in on the 75th Anniversary of D-Day. However any such hopes were dashed pretty quickly upon viewing this movie.
Quote:

If you can sit through 30 minutes of this film you are a hero in your own right. It is total tripe and looks more like a village drama group got the roles in it. It the opening credits they show Marines landing on a sandy beach, it is actully one of the Islands Japan held.

Quote:

This movie can't even get the Rangers uniforms right, they are shown with 4th Infantry Division flashes on their sleeves with a huge and badly sewn patch that says Rangers over it. The actor portraying Colonel Rudder looked to have towels wrapped around his legs, rather than proper gaitors. All the Germans seem to have bright red swastika armbands with bright red swastika flags betraying their positions and wildly differing uniforms. One German soldier in the assault on the headquarters appears to be wearing a giant helmet borrowed from Spaceballs
OldArmy71
AG
Oh, gracious.
BrazosBendHorn
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

If you can sit through 30 minutes of this film you are a hero in your own right. It is total tripe and looks more like a village drama group got the roles in it. It the opening credits they show Marines landing on a sandy beach, it is actully one of the Islands Japan held.

Quote:

This movie can't even get the Rangers uniforms right, they are shown with 4th Infantry Division flashes on their sleeves with a huge and badly sewn patch that says Rangers over it. The actor portraying Colonel Rudder looked to have towels wrapped around his legs, rather than proper gaitors. All the Germans seem to have bright red swastika armbands with bright red swastika flags betraying their positions and wildly differing uniforms. One German soldier in the assault on the headquarters appears to be wearing a giant helmet borrowed from Spaceballs

Jock92
AG
LMAO, a former UFC fighter as well as a former pro wrestler in the cast.
BrazosBendHorn
Smokedraw01 said:

That can't be real. It's like ever war movie cliche was thrown into that trailer.
That could make for an awesome drinking game ... and might make the movie marginally tolerable ... I was gritting my teeth by the end of that trailer ...
Rabid Cougar
AG
No.....just no.
OldArmy71
AG
Watch the trailer and notice the guys wearing helmet liners. One of them at the back in the Higgins boat is wearing ... what? Some sort of ultra narrow plastic thing.
ClassOf17
Any way to watch the longest day? Amazon?
aalan94
AG
The longest day is good, but the part on Rudder in that movie is filth.

I did a review of the Rudder bio a few years ago and he goes into this very well: Basically Cornelius Ryan got the story wrong and Rudder didn't want to talk to him so it never got fixed. He makes it sound like the Rangers never found the guns. In fact, they found the guns, but not in their original location. But Ryan makes it sound like - and the movie really makes this case - the entire assault was a waste of effort, when indeed, the Rangers performed heroically in adapting, finding the guns and destroying them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.