Jefferson Davis Birthday

1,331 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Smokedraw01
Cen-Tex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
born on this day on June 3, 1808. The birthday is still recognized in Kentucky, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida & Louisiana. In Texas, it was combined with RE Lee's birthday in 1973 by the Texas legislature and now called Confederate Heroes Day (Jan 19th). I remember the holiday before the change in 1973.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Still a state holiday.
Smokedraw01
Rabid Cougar said:

Still a state holiday.

Why? Did he do something for Texas?
oldarmy76
Umm, yes. As secretary of war, he played a pretty important role in building up frontier defenses in Texas.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Still a state holiday.
When I worked for the State of Texas in the mid-1990s in Austin, it used to crack me up that Confederate Heroes Day and MLK Jr. Day were in the same week. And since MLK Day floats, it is possible for them to be on the same day. Looks like that was most recently the case in January 2015.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Still a state holiday.

Why? Did he do something for Texas?
More so than Lincoln and Washington ...and I don't hesitate to celebrate their day off... I mean holiday.
aalan94
AG
I said hi to him today at the Briscoe Center for American History on the sip campus. I say hi every time I pass by on the way to the archives.
Smokedraw01
oldarmy76 said:

Umm, yes. As secretary of war, he played a pretty important role in building up frontier defenses in Texas.

As long as that is what we're celebrating.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.