Profanities in the 1700 and 1800's America?

2,012 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aalan94
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone posted about the show Deadwood in another forum, and the profanity used, and it made me wonder....do we really know what kind of profanity words were used 150, 200 years ago in America? I suppose it's known somehow...I read a little of Twain, but before that. What's the story? It's not like you can watch video!
Rabid Cougar
AG
Written descriptions of how profane individuals were. Also If you google certain words and as to when first documented use you will see how old some of them are. A very popular old English four letter word describing an "act" was used as early as 1475.
aalan94
AG
Generally, they're purged from sources like newspapers, but I've read depositions from court cases in primary sources, and they're usually word-for-word when possible. "Dam--d" is used frequently. The F word existed, as noted, but was not used anywhere as common as today. My presumption is that it would be used as an expression like "F---" when something bad happened, but rarely used in the "F--- you" sense, because something like "Dam--d" would be available. We also have to bear in mind that things we don't consider too shocking would have been more shocking back then. Calling someone a "scalawag," "knave" or even a liar would be insults likely to cause a fight, maybe a duel. They'd have the same provocative effect as using a very profane insult today.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.