A&M Schools

2,382 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rongagin71
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I came up with this list for a post on the football board, but figured that since I went through all the effort to type it up, here it is.

The Morrill Act was passed in 1862 (in the midst of the Civil War) to promote agriculture by establishing land grant colleges to that purpose. It allowed for federal dollars to universities if they established them with those guidelines. Although it was not required that the schools be named Agricultural and Mechanical, that was the model pattern that was adopted by most. A lot of states took advantage of this, and for most Southern states, this was their first state university, since they had been hostile to public universities before the war (many of the oldest southern universities, like Duke or Baylor, which were established before the war, were private).

Original Name (Current Name)
A&M College of Alabama (Auburn University)
California Agricultural, Mining and Mechanical Arts College (University of California-Berkeley)
Colorado A&M (Colorado State)
Florida Agricultural College (University of Florida)
Iowa Agricultural College and Model Farm (Iowa State)
Kansas State Agricultural College ( Kansas State)
Kentucky A&M (University of Kentucky
Louisiana State University A&M (LSU)
Maine A&M (University of Maine)
Agricultural College of Michigan (Michigan State)
New Mexico A&M (New Mexico State)
North Carolina A&M (North Carolina State)
Ohio A&M (Ohio State)
Oklahoma A&M (Oklahoma State)
Farmers High School of Pennsylvania (Penn State)
Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina (Clemson University)
Virginia A&M (Virginia Tech)
Washington Agricultural College (Washington State)
Agricultural College of West Virginia (University of West Virginia)
aalan94
AG
By the way, there is a common trope among sips (so common that it's infected the History of Texas A&M Wikipedia Page) is that A&M somehow "belonged" to UT Austin. Here's the version of this myth on the Wikipedia page (I've informed folks at A&M and they have done nothing to fix it).

Quote:

Although Texas A&M was originally scheduled to be established under the Texas Constitution as a branch of the yet-to-be-created University of Texas, subsequent acts of the Texas Legislature never gave the university any authority over Texas A&M.
This is actually not true. The Texas Constitution of 1845 was silent on A&M schools, since it was 2 decades before the Morrill Act. The Texas Constitution of 1876 DID include this phrase, which is the source of the myth:

Quote:

Sec. 10. ESTABLISHMENT OF UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS; AGRICULTURAL
AND MECHANICAL DEPARTMENT. The legislature shall as soon as prac cable
establish, organize and provide for the maintenance, support and direc on of a
University of the first class, to be located by a vote of the people of this State,
and styled, "The University of Texas," for the promo on of literature, and the
arts and sciences, including an Agricultural, and Mechanical department.

However, this was AFTER THE FACT. Texas A&M was established by legislation in 1871, and this passage was written in 1876, when A&M's buildings were already constructed and the university was set to open later in the year. What this provision did was authorize UT to have its own A&M branch (separate from the one in Bryan) so that it too could make use of Morill Act funds, which it never did.
Post removed:
by user
aalan94
AG
Quote:

Very interesting. Many of those schools have strayed far from their origins, but probably none so far as Cal-Berkeley.
I don't know. They do produce a lot of bull *****
Post removed:
by user
p_bubel
Apache
AG
Quote:

Here's the version of this myth on the Wikipedia page (I've informed folks at A&M and they have done nothing to fix it).
I was under the impression Wiki was completely user generated content.
i.e., if anyone wanted to modify the A&M page and correct the info they could. I think the Wiki people will verify the information, but if you make link to the appropriate websites/books for source material it will likely stick.

bobbranco
AG
Good luck fighting the knuckle dragging Randolph Duke / Charles M. Satterfield.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Some of those schools have have multiple names.

Auburn started in 1856 as the East Alabama Male College, A&M College of Alabama in 1862, Alabama Polytechnic Institute in 1899 and finally Auburn University in 1960.

Virginia Tech started as Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State College, it later known as VPI and currently Virginia Tech
relapse
AG
Quote:

This is actually not true. The Texas Constitution of 1845 was silent on A&M schools, since it was 2 decades before the Morrill Act. The Texas Constitution of 1876 DID include this phrase, which is the source of the myth:
It also included Section 13 which states:

Quote:

The Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, established by an Act of the Legislature passed April 17th, 1871, located in the county of Brazos, is hereby made, and constituted a Branch of the University of Texas,

Quote:

authorize UT to have its own A&M branch (separate from the one in Bryan)
Come again? It specifically mentions the college, located in Brazos County, that was established in 1871. That's us.

Post removed:
by user
Karrde
AG
Cornell was also a land grant university. http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2012/06/morrill-land-grant-act-turns-150

Its part of the reason I came to A&M. I was born in Ithaca while my dad was in grad school. Even though I left the area when I was 5, i remembered enough of it that A&M felt much more like what I expected a college to feel like than UT or MIT. Part of that is the shared land grant heritage, and being the focal point of a town instead of buried inside an urban area.
Rongagin71
AG
Both A&M and UTAustin are part of the University of Texas. Duh.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.