A tanker's story

1,919 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Joe Schillaci 48
who?mikejones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/10/us/ww2-reunion-us-german-veterans/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

What a story. Even more amazing is there is video to go with it.

Thank you veterans. The battle is only half over when you get home. I cannot imagine the toll.
Jaydoug
AG
Fascinating story. I'm going to order the book. Thanks!
JABQ04
AG

cbr
AG
Wow. Heartwrenching

My grandfather went to the pearl harbor reunion once. Japanese pilots visiting with the men they bombed. Pretty wild.

But honestly the wildest stories and most horrible were from a german fighter pilot i knew as a kid, who had been shot down by the russians returning to his base in finland.

Jesus. The things he'd seen and done.
clarythedrill
My first duty station out of Basic was in Germany. We went on a REFORGER exercise and set up railhead in central Germany. One day an old German guy rode up on his bicycle, which had two saddle bags on it. He stopped, and in broken english explained that he was a tanker in WWII. He pulled an old scrapbook out of one saddlebag and showed us old photos of his tanker days in the war. He then pulled out some really good german beer from the other saddlebag and gave to us. It was really cool to see his pictures and hear his tale from the other side of the gun tube.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
In the 1960's I was sent to Germany by the Air Force. I was assigned to a ammo storage area in a small town. I rented an apartment from a very nice local.

Both of us in broken German and English discussed our backgrounds. He asked me where I was from and I told him Texas. He commented that he had been to Kentucky and Tennessee.

Since most people visiting the USA don't go solely to those states, I asked him if he had relatives that lived there.

He said no and then raised both of his arms to indicate he had been a prisoner of war.

I was taken aback and was a loss for words.

He smiled and and said "nine nine, ist gud". He went on to explain that he and two buddies searched for Americans for a week so they could surrender. He said the Russians were everywhere and said if the Russians caught them, they would be killed on the spot.

He joked that after the war he wanted to stay but they forced him to go back to Germany.

He has long been gone but what a great guy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.