CSA rosters for ancestors.....

4,229 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rexter
Rexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was doing a little digging and came up with this for my 4xgrandfather (SS Ginn) and his brothers:

38th GA Regiment, Co H

Ginn, Gaines W. - Pvt. 10/15/1861. Appointed 4th Corp. 3/1862; 3d Sgt 12/1863. Severely wounded at Spotsylvania, Va. 5/12/1864, hit in the left arm between the elbow and shoulder. The doctor took out 4 inches of the bone out of arm. The same ball went through left lung and lodged against backbone and was cut out. Unable to come home until Sept/1864 and left a cripple since. Source: "Confederate Reminiscences and Letters" 1861-1865 VolumeXVII. Absent with leave, wounded, 12/6/1864. No later record. Born 6/12/1841, died 5/1/1917, buried at Rehoboth Baptist Church Cemetery, Elbert Co., Ga. Brother of James A. & Singleton Ginn of same co.

Ginn, James A. (James Alfred Ginn) - Pvt. 6/27/1862. Killed at 2d Manassas, Va. 8/27/1862. Born 1/?/1829, buried at Hillcrest Cemetery, Elbert Co. Ga. Brother of Gaines W. & Singleton Ginn of same co.

Ginn, S. S. (Singleton Satterwhite Ginn) Pvt. 6/27/1862. Wounded at Seven Days' Fight near Richmond, Va. in 1862. Surrendered at Appomattox, Va. 4/9/1865. Born in Ga. 4/12/1831, died in 9/20/ 1895, buried at Holly Springs Baptist Church Cemetery, Elbert Co. Ga. Brother of James A. & Gaines W. Ginn of same company.
30wedge
Very cool. Thanks for posting. And how can you not like a name like "Singleton Satterwhite."
MarineAggie95
AG
I have copies of my Great Great Grandfathers Company Roster papers as well as his diary. He was with the 20th Alabama and was captured and later paroled after the Battles of Nashville and Vicksburg
UTExan
14th Texas Cavalrymaternal ancestor -died of wounds/complications after action near Lookout Mtn, TN.
Rexter
SRBS
He looks pretty tough.
BQ78
AG
He fought alongside Waul's Texas Legion on May 22, when that unit counterattacked to seal the breach in the line where the 20th was stationed at the Railroad Redoubt. Waul's Unit mostly came from the area around Brazos County.
dcbowers
AG
For us neophytes, where do you find this information?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rexter
I googled CSA Georgia roster and poked around on some of the hits. I had to know a name and county that he most likely joined from.
BQ78
AG
If you have a name and unit the National Archives will send you their entire war record, pretty interesting stuff I might add.
MarineAggie95
AG
I was at Vicksburg as a kid and remembered it but a few years ago my best friend was taking over command at Fort Benning and instead of flying there for the change of command my wife and I drove and made a stop a Vicksburg. I have a picture of me as a kid and now as a 50 year old man at both the Texas Monument and the 20th Alabama sign at the redoubt. I will say it was a special feeling and one that had me at a lost for words as one who has been in combat knowing that I was standing where my Great Great Grandfather had been in a fight for his life. Seeing what they faced and how close the Union forces were to his lines made me realize how much I preferred the lines that we were up against in the Gulf and Somalia when I was there.

If anyone has never been to the Vicksburg Battlefield it is a must see.
Caesar4
AG
Rexter said:

I was doing a little digging and came up with this for my 4xgrandfather (SS Ginn) and his brothers:

38th GA Regiment, Co H

Ginn, Gaines W. - Pvt. 10/15/1861. Appointed 4th Corp. 3/1862; 3d Sgt 12/1863. Severely wounded at Spotsylvania, Va. 5/12/1864, hit in the left arm between the elbow and shoulder. The doctor took out 4 inches of the bone out of arm. The same ball went through left lung and lodged against backbone and was cut out. Unable to come home until Sept/1864 and left a cripple since. Source: "Confederate Reminiscences and Letters" 1861-1865 VolumeXVII. Absent with leave, wounded, 12/6/1864. No later record. Born 6/12/1841, died 5/1/1917, buried at Rehoboth Baptist Church Cemetery, Elbert Co., Ga. Brother of James A. & Singleton Ginn of same co.

Ginn, James A. (James Alfred Ginn) - Pvt. 6/27/1862. Killed at 2d Manassas, Va. 8/27/1862. Born 1/?/1829, buried at Hillcrest Cemetery, Elbert Co. Ga. Brother of Gaines W. & Singleton Ginn of same co.

Ginn, S. S. (Singleton Satterwhite Ginn) Pvt. 6/27/1862. Wounded at Seven Days' Fight near Richmond, Va. in 1862. Surrendered at Appomattox, Va. 4/9/1865. Born in Ga. 4/12/1831, died in 9/20/ 1895, buried at Holly Springs Baptist Church Cemetery, Elbert Co. Ga. Brother of James A. & Gaines W. Ginn of same company.
Dang! How could 4 inches of bone be removed (back then) and, ostensibly, the arm was saved. Incredible. Comparatively, I'm such a wuss. Right now, I'm lying in an adjustable bed with a heating pad because my leg is hurting for some reason. lol.

I'm looking forward to getting involved in genealogy, but I'm a little concerned about what I might uncover regarding my relatives.
Rexter
Caesar4 said:

Rexter said:

38th GA Regiment, Co H

Dang! How could 4 inches of bone be removed (back then) and, ostensibly, the arm was saved. Incredible. Comparatively, I'm such a wuss. Right now, I'm lying in an adjustable bed with a heating pad because my leg is hurting for some reason. lol.

I'm looking forward to getting involved in genealogy, but I'm a little concerned about what I might uncover regarding my relatives.

Same here. I've heard stories, but haven't ever seen anything on paper.....but....

My dad's cousin wrote a novel loosely based on their childhood and when they got electricity. The character "Freeman" is based on my dad, so I've been told.

The Year The Lights Came On
Terry Kay
Twelfthman99
AG
Let me introduce my 3rd great-grandfather, Charles A. Rideout (1832-1905):

Charles was from Neshoba County Mississippi and fought with D Company in the 11th Mississippi Infantry (Neshoba Rifles). Pvt. Rideout was wounded in Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg on 3 July 1863. He took a ball in the knee and came to rest under a stone fence. With his last shot of the war, he mortally wounded a Union soldier who climbed the wall and attempted to stab him with a bayonet. He was taken prisoner and spent the remainder of the war in a Maryland POW hospital. After the war, he returned to Mississippi to become a school teacher. I doubt any student ever dared to give him lip. The 11th entered the Battle of Gettysburg with 592 men - 102 were killed, 168 wounded, and 42 POW or missing. It was a 53% casualty rate. Included in the 11th Mississippi were Company A - the University Greys - a unit comprised entirely of students from Ole Miss. Company A suffered 100% casualties.

I have a letter Charles wrote his wife from Maryland where he details his encounter in Pennsylvania. When I visited Gettysburg, walking Pickett's Charge took on a whole new meaning for me.
Whiskey Before Breakfast
AG
GGF 12th Texas Inf
GGGF 15th Ga Inf (ANV). Surrendered Appomattox 4/9/65
GGGF 17th Alabama Inf
Others:
2nd Alabama Inf
4th Ga Cav
47th Ga Inf
BQ78
AG
I recently untangled some bad family tradition with the help of Ancestery.com and figured out my paternal-maternal third great grandfather, John W. Bell. Family tradition said he died in a hospital on November 27, 1863 during the Battle of Atlanta. Well that date isn't right and I always knew it. John Bell and J W Bell were some pretty common names and there were quite a few fighting on boths sides. Trusting in the date of death, I knew that was the date of the Battle of Ringgold Gap, so I long suspected he was a member of Pat Cleburne's Division and died in that battle. I got sick and spent some time on Ancestry and found part of his war record. Company C of the 32nd Mississippi from Tishomingo County. Not only that I found a letter from June 1864 from my GGG Grandmother applying for a Confederate pension and his back pay to the county (I found this interesting as Tishomingo County was under Federal control so did the county operate under Confederate or Federal law? This letter made me think the former). Unfortunately I knew he had been paid through 31 October 1863 so she was only owed one month and whatever a pension in Confederate money brought.

Bell was at various times detailed during his military career as a pioneer (engineer) and a sharpshooter. He was the only casualty of his company at Ringgold Gap and it makes me wonder that as a sharpshooter, he was probably out on the skirmish line holding back Fighting Joe Hooker. Hopefully he died with the satisfaction that they had just kicked Sherman's ass on Missionary Ridge and saved the Army of Tennessee at Ringgold Gap.
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ78 said:

I recently untangled some bad family tradition with the help of Ancestery.com and figured out my paternal-maternal third great grandfather, John W. Bell. Family tradition said he died in a hospital on November 27, 1863 during the Battle of Atlanta. Well that date isn't right and I always knew it. John Bell and J W Bell were some pretty common names and there were quite a few fighting on boths sides. Trusting in the date of death, I knew that was the date of the Battle of Ringgold Gap, so I long suspected he was a member of Pat Cleburne's Division and died in that battle. I got sick and spent some time on Ancestry and found part of his war record. Company C of the 32nd Mississippi from Tishomingo County. Not only that I found a letter from June 1864 from my GGG Grandmother applying for a Confederate pension and his back pay to the county (I found this interesting as Tishomingo County was under Federal control so did the county operate under Confederate or Federal law? This letter made me think the former). Unfortunately I knew he had been paid through 31 October 1863 so she was only owed one month and whatever a pension in Confederate money brought.

Bell was at various times detailed during his military career as a pioneer (engineer) and a sharpshooter. He was the only casualty of his company at Ringgold Gap and it makes me wonder that as a sharpshooter, he was probably out on the skirmish line holding back Fighting Joe Hooker. Hopefully he died with the satisfaction that they had just kicked Sherman's ass on Missionary Ridge and saved the Army of Tennessee at Ringgold Gap.
From my "professional" genealogist (Dad), Confederate pensions were paid by the state in which they lived regardless of what unit they fought with. Texas had something like 60,000 pensioners at one time. Pension records are still held at the state level in most states.
BQ78
AG
Yeah I was familiar with the post-war state pensions but this was a during the war request to the Confederate government filed at the Tishomingo CH. Interestingly I have never found a post-war application from GGGGM but then she remarried and moved to Texas.
Burnsey
AG
Great great great grandfather served in the Texas 6th Infantry. Captured at the Battle of Arkansas Post. Patrolled and joined back up. He later served under Gen. Cleburne and Gen. Granbury. He named his first born son Cleburne Granbury. He is buried at the Texas State Cemetery in Austin.
tim phillips
Hello rexter, my name is tim , u say u r a descendent of singleton ginn. so is my wife and we have his boyhood home please contact me
45-70Ag
AG
My Great X 5 Grandfather
Byrum Huddleston
13th Tennessee cavalry

Nathan Richardson Oakes
My great x 4 grandfather.
Website has been out together by a cousin

https://32ndmississippi.blogspot.com/2011/12/great-grandfather-oakes-in-60-day-troops.html?m=0

There is a few more but this is what i have readily available. Covers both union and confederate.
Rexter
tim phillips said:

Hello rexter, my name is tim , u say u r a descendent of singleton ginn. so is my wife and we have his boyhood home please contact me

Email me

Rexter1200 at yahoo
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.