The biggest water evacuation in history, it wasn't Dunkirk . . .

1,899 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by p_bubel
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
500,000 in 9 HRs from Manhattan on 9/11
p_bubel
Thank you immensely for posting that.
bufrilla
AG
I don't think the NY evac was under continuous attack. They did not withdraw under attack. You can evac by land a lot easier than water.
Apples vs Oranges
HollywoodBQ
AG
Thanks for posting that. During the past few years, I've spent a lot of time on long haul International flights and after running out of English language movies worth watching a few times, I've ventured over to the International selections and enjoyed a few Japanese movies, German movies and most frequently, Bollywood movies. With the recent invasion of Silicon Valley by H-1B visa holders, the local movie theater in Santa Clara even shows first run Bollywood movies now.

So, I came to watch a Bollywood movie called "Airlift" which tells the little known story about how Air India flew over 400 flights to evacuate about 110,000 workers from Kuwait after the August 2, 1990 invasion by Iraq. As with all Bollywood movies, there's some singing and dancing but, overall, it's a very powerful story about how countrymen come together to help each other evacuate when their regular lives are disrupted by a deliberate attack. The movie portrays it as the work of one badass Sikh guy. In real life, it was two guys who were the leaders.

If you have any interest, the IMDB link is here and the trailer is here:
Don't worry, the movie does have English subtitles.

jkag89
bufrilla said:

I don't think the NY evac was under continuous attack. They did not withdraw under attack. You can evac by land a lot easier than water.
Apples vs Oranges
I agree the scenarios are not the same but the nearly immediate response to Manhattan (the Nation) being under attack was remarkable.
eric76
AG
jkag89 said:

bufrilla said:

Apples vs Oranges
I agree the scenarios are not the same but the nearly immediate response to Manhattan (the Nation) being under attack was remarkable.
There's also the point that the evacuations from Manhattan didn't involve tens of nautical miles in heavy seas in small boats. In terms of scale, I consider Dunkirk to be the greater and the more noteworthy.
Snowball
AG

I show this video to my students every 9/11
p_bubel
102 Minutes That Changed America is something everyone should catch at least once.

It's pretty simple and pretty powerful.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.