Book Progress

2,909 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by huisachel
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy folks. Have not been on here in a long time, but I wanted to update you on my book project.

I'm turning my masters' thesis on the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition of 1812-13 into a book. It's looking good right now. I'm 120 pages through, probably 1/3 of the way. Goal is 300 pages, and I think the second draft will involve some tightening up. As you may or may not know, I'm currently in Afghanistan, deployed. Working on the book in my off hours. All my research is on my computer and backed up on an external hard drive. I have the entire Bexar Archives digitized, along with various other collections of letters, papers, etc. that I've built up over the past 3 years.

I think this book will shake up a lot of stuff. I'm basically re-writing the origins of the expedition. Most historians and even the Handbook of Texas have said that the Madison Administration was behind the expedition, although a key historian who disagrees is the editor of the James Madison papers. Anyway, I've put ever letter ever written about the expedition into a spreadsheet and can show based on timing of the letters that it's nonsense. Furthermore, I found that the expedition was being organized long before Gutirrez, Magee, or the American special agent even showed up on the frontier. I've found some interesting stuff on who was really behind it. It includes elements within Texas and also former Aaron Burr conspirators, who are basically doing in 1812 what they failed to do in 1806.

The thing that will really shake up Texas history as taught is all the connections I'm finding between the 1812 revolution and the 1836 one. Like people who were among Austin's "Old 300" who were in fact Texas settlers going back to BEFORE AUSTIN WAS BORN.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get draft 1 done while here, then take a month or so off and finish up draft 2 when I get back and get it to a friend who's a literary agent who can pitch to publishers. I've already turned one publisher down. Their time schedule was not feasible and the focus of the book was pre-determined, whereas I'm going where the facts lead me.
oldarmy76
Great update.
dcbowers
AG
Can't wait to read! This is a really interesting but little known chapter in the history of our state.

Keep us updated on the book's progress.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bighunter43
AG
Looking forward to reading the part about the Battle of the Medina!
huisachel
Glad to hear of your progress and look forward to a great read
spud1910
AG
Sounds great! I can't wait to read it.
aggie orbitalwelder
RGV AG
AG
That is very impressive boss. I can't wait to get a copy, but I want a signed one!!!!. God speed to you.
Smokedraw01
I've been trying to get my teachers to cover the Battle of Medina more thoroughly because of your posts. I can't wait to read the book.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
aalan94
AG
Thanks. I will, of course point out that this is more than just the Battle of Medina. If you think that's it, you're missing the larger picture. It was one key event among several. The biggest thing that's missing is context. It's much wider and deeper than people realize, and that's what my book's going to be about. You can't simply put it into a narrow box called "Texas history" and presume that external factors are not playing into this.

Some context:
1805-6: Aaron Burr conspiracy to invade Spanish Texas. What is often misunderstood is how people in the western states had longed to invade Spanish territories. See the Blount conspiracy, O'Fallon expedition, etc. But before you assume that this is proto-manifest destiny, tap the brakes. Many of these expansionists wanted to do this at the EXPENSE of the United States, not to its benefit. These Westerners were as much sons of the Whiskey Rebellion as they were of the American Revolution.

1806: Francisco Miranda's expedition to Venezuela uses American filibusters (from the East, mostly New York including, of all people, future Texas Interim President David G. Burnet, who is 18 at the time). The expedition is a failure and many members are captured and executed. What this shows is that Americans, particularly the Republicans who are pro-French and anti-England, are ready to embrace Napoleon's crusade against monarchy, and filibusters were as much for ideological purposes as for taking land. (Although every one of these guys thought they were going to make money in some form or fashion along with glory and spreading liberty).

1808: Napoleon invades his Spanish ally and deposes King Ferdinand VII. He puts his brother Joseph Bonaparte on the Spanish throne. This paralyzes the Spanish empire, which is caught between three impulses: Loyalists to Ferdinand, adherents to the "legitimate" King Joseph Bonaparte, and pro-independence folks. Eventually, the first and last begin to merge, which blurs the line between pro-republicans and pro-independence. Some are declaring independence from a standpoint of loyalty to Ferdinand, if that makes sense. And in most Spanish territories, the impulse to revolt is more about "good governance" than republicanism. Think about it like our revolution. We were revolting against the bad effects of monarchism (stamp tax, quartering of troops, etc.) before we embraced republicanism. This is true of the Spanish world, although it would be hard for Americans to understand this as they volunteered to fight for the cause.
Sep. 1810: Father Hidalgo, with his Grito de Dolores, calls for a revolution in Mexico. Agents, including Bernardo Gutierrez de Lara, spread Hidalgo's message into Texas through agents, particularly infiltrators into the army.

Jan. 1811: The Casas Revolt - A revolt in San Antonio that occurred four months after the Grito. There was already a brewing pro-revolution sentiment in San Antonio (but as noted was not necessarily anti-monarchy). This broke out when the Spanish governor mustered the troops of Bexar to march them south to aid in putting down the revolution in Coahuila. The citizens of Bexar, afraid this would leave them exposed to be raided and possibly massacred by Comanches and Apaches, revolted initially to force the army to stay in town. Juan Bautista de las Casas arrested the governor and proclaimed fidelity to Hidalgo and the revolution.

Feb. 1811: The Texas governor and others sent south are freed by rebels who switched back to the loyalist side. They help plot (in fact, the Gov. of Texas is the lead on this) an ambush to betray and capture Hidalgo and other revolutionary leaders. Hidalgo will be tried and shot.

April, 1811: Zambrano counter-revolt. Casas is a poor administrator and dictatorial. He also didn't kill all the royalists, just let them fester and counterplot. Additionally, some of the people opposed to the governor removing the troops were not necessarily anti-monarchical. They just didn't want to be skinned alive by Apaches. Zambrano convinces both sides he's on their side and leads a coup against Casas. Then he shows his royalist colors, arrests some leading Republicans (puts them in a jail in the Alamo) and sends a group of soldiers to connect with royalists, who are rallying in the South. The Governor of Texas returns and reestablishes royal authority.

Meanwhile, the town of Nacogdoches has always been sort of rebellious, but for trade reasons. They're literally starving and the Spanish ban all trade with Natchitoches, La, 90 miles away (even when it was Spanish, they forbid trade), and forces them to trade through Saltillo and Veracruz). So smuggling is constant on the frontier, and makes many Spanish subjects feel closer to the Americans to the East than their brethren to the South. This is important because rather than just considering the expedition as an American "push" into Texas, there is a Tejano "pull" going on, which shows up most dramatically when virtually the entire Nacogdoches garrison throws down their weapons and welcomes the invaders while their commander and only 10 men flee.

The Republican Army is organized in the Neutral Ground between the United States and Mexico (between the Sabine and Arroyo Hondo in Louisiana). I won't go into all of the finding I've made on how it was set up, because that's part of what I have that's new, but think simply of those Burr-style westerners and Miranda-style idealists finding common ground with the people of Nacogdoches. Then arrives Bernardo Gutierrez de Lara, the guy who had been sending propaganda for the revolution into Texas (from the Southern side of the Rio Grande, where he is from). He's sent by the revolution to secure American aid. This is critical because Hidalgo built up an army of 100,000 but at one point only about 5,000 had firearms. The others were basically Indians with slings and arrows. The reason the revolution is failing is the lack of arms. But Mexico has lots of gold and silver. So they need to open up a pathway to connect the two, and with no Navy, Texas is their only option.
Gutierrez de Lara, after a visit to Washington, D.C., where he's told we love you man, but you need credentials before we can recognize your revolution, returns to the frontier, where he finds a filibuster already organizing. (I'm simplifying this, I assure you). He joins it and recruits an American officer, Augustus Magee to join him.
aalan94
AG
August, 1812: The invasion enters Texas and captures Nacogdoches easily (as noted). With them are several citizens of Texas, including Spaniards, Anglo-Americans (Spain allowed them into Texas very early on, and two of the men who join the expedition were residents of Texas before Stephen F. Austin was even born), and Frenchmen, most of whom had moved to Texas after the Louisiana Purchase, thinking that they were preserving their religion by moving to a Catholic country, but becoming disaffected with the impoverished situation and making common cause with the smugglers.

The army moves towards San Antonio, then finds that the Spanish are planning an ambush on the Camino Real where it crosses the Brazos (not far from College Station). They rebels slip to the south and flank the Royalists and take lightly-defended La Bahia (today's Goliad). The Royalists follow them and besiege them. This siege lasts for FOUR MONTHS. That's 8 times as long as the Alamo siege, if you're counting. There are a number of skirmishes, but the Spanish only have field guns and their numbers, while larger than those of the rebels, are not enough to storm the fort.

During the siege, Magee dies of disease and is replaced. The republicans at first feel trapped, but over time, they are winning. Remember how the people of Bexar were terrified of being deserted by the royalist troops over the Comanches and Apaches? Well, the Indians raid Bexar, and it's horrible. Many killed and lots of horses, etc. stolen. The supplies coming to the Royalists basically stop, and they're suffering. They try an attack to break the deadlock and the Republicans beat them back, with huge casualties. Finally the royalists break the siege and retreat to San Antonio. After waiting to rebuild their food supplies and let in reinforcements, the rebels (about 600 Americans and 200 Spanish/Mexicans, plus another 200 or so Indians), marches after the Royalists.

The Royal army makes a last stand at the Battle of Salado (also called Rosillo, to distinguish it from the 1842 battle of Salado). The rebels attack and crush the royalists, who flee in panic to San Antonio, where a couple of days later, the governor surrenders the city to the Rebels.

March, 1813: Gutierrez proclaims Texas independent and part of the new Mexican Republic. So far so good, but then he decides to execute the Spanish Governor, the Governor of Nuevo Leon (who is in Texas assisting the army) and a dozen other royalists. This starts to make the Americans disaffected, but they note that the people of San Antonio are happy about this (the governor had, after all, executed some of their family members), so they resign themselves to it.

June 1813: The Royalists return with an army, but their advanced guard under Elizondo is defeated with great loss by the American/Mexican force at the battle of Alazan Southwest of San Antonio and flees. The republicans return to San Antonio.

August, 1813: Gutierrez, like Casas, rules a bit dictatorially and when another Spanish leader, a Cuban named Toledo, arrives in Texas, a coalition of the Americans (still stewing over the execution of their prisoners and some Tejanos) oust Gutierrez in favor of Toledo. Within days of this change, news comes that the Spanish army under the very capable Gen. Arredondo (with Lt. Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana along with him) is approaching. The Republicans march south hoping to repeat Alazan. At the Battle of Medina, Arredondo cleverly lures them into a trap and routs them. They flee, but he sends cavalry to hunt down as many as he can. Elizondo, who was defeated at Alazan, captures hundreds of refugees (including women and children) at the flood-swollen Trinity River. After promising to treat them fairly, he massacres dozens of them and brings the rest of them back to San Antonio as prisoners, where they will all be massacred by Arredondo. (This is reserved for the Tejanos, because after the first few Americans were slaughtered, Arredondo lets others go to avoid giving America cause to intervene).

Elizondo's brutality is so bad that one of his own soldiers, shocked by the carnage, stabs him and kills him.
Over the next several months, Arredondo unleashes a reign of terror. This is well-documented in Bradley Folsom's new book "Arredondo: Last Spanish Ruler of Texas." He basically kills anyone with even a close tie to the rebels, even people who were neutral. From 1813-1814, one quarter of the population of Texas is killed or driven into exile. He draws and quarters hundreds of people in downtown San Antonio.
This has huge consequences, because Texas, never economically successful, goes into a nosedive. Arredondo, eventually realizing what he's done, tries to rebuild by bringing in settlers, and as part of that process, approves an empresario contract with Moses Austin in 1820.

So, as you can see, it's a much bigger and broader story than simply one battle.

p_bubel
Damn man, really looking forward to this!
aalan94
AG
Well, it will be a while. As you know, I'm in Afghanistan, and I just got extra work, instead of the "normal" 12 hour days, I will be doing 15 hours. Still, I hope to have most of a first draft by the time I get back and then I'll probably take a month off before going back to work to start the second.
BQ78
AG
Your picture made the latest TSHA newsletter.
aalan94
AG
Cool. Well, I've got the hook up over there, and they said they would try to do that for me.
aalan94
AG
Update August 3:

I'm now 23 chapters and about 230 pages in. Some really good stuff I'm finding, both really important historical bits that rewrite the history, but also fascinating human stories that have been overlooked. If you're a Tejano looking for Tejano heroes, I've got them for you. If you want some badasses, I've got them for you. If you want cool threats "I'm going to cut out your gut and turn it into a drum", I've got that for you. If you want awesome Texas women not taking any ****, I've got them for you.

I also recently discovered that the rebels who were killed in San Antonio were left to rot in the town square for 6 months, something I discovered in an obscure letter in the San Fernando church cemetery archives.

I even have a mulatto assassin from the Canary Islands who was formerly supposed to kill Napoleon Bonaparte, who is hired by the Spanish Ambassador to kill a Texas Revolutionary commander in Philadelphia.
dcbowers
AG
Looking forward to your book!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
huisachel
Thanks for the heads up. I went to Alibris and ordered used copies of the Arredondo book and the ERIC van Whozit

Gonna go to the Battle of Medina commemoration on the 18th
huisachel
aggie orbitalwelder
Rongagin71
AG
The version of the Battle of Medina that I read had Gutierrez in charge of the defense but killed at the end of a hot day of battling when he got so thirsty he took a chance on getting a drink at the river.
But now you say he had been replaced by Toledo?
Interesting stuff... might even make a movie.

Edit: The account I read agreed that body parts were left hanging from trees in downtown San Antonio, by none other than Lt Santa Ana who had been placed in charge of the butchery and forcing the townwomen to service the army.
He later switched sides and fought the Spanish.
aalan94
AG
Not sure where that account came from but Gutierrez was already back in Louisiana when the battle took place. He survived until the 1820s and was governor of the Mexican state of Nuevo Santander. Toledo was there, but the Mexican/Tejano commander on the field doing all the real work was Miguel Menchaca. He did die after the battle, but it would be hard to say he panicked, because he fought pretty bravely until ordered to retreat by Toledo.

Santa Anna was there, but I'm not aware that he had any special role in stringing up the dead. He was an ordinary lieutenant, not in a position of particular importance. To be fair to him, once you read what Arredondo did after he took San Antonio (yes, stringing people up, raping women and forcing them into slave labor), you will see Santa Anna, comparatively, as a humanitarian. I highly recommend Bradley Folsom's book on Arredondo.

Ag_EQ12
AG
Good stuff! Nothing like a good 19th century insult for a chapter title.

Also, 23 chapters and 230 pages? Why so many chapters?
aalan94
AG
As for the chapters, this is a first draft. The chapters are created on a thematic, chronologic and logical basis. They may be consolidated in the future, but for organizational purposes, it's better to do it this way. That way, for example, I can create a folder for each and drop copies of the relevant source documents into it, so I don't have to hunt all over my very large directory (thousands of documents) for the ones relevant to that chapter.

If you tried to write a 20 page chapter, it would be horrendously complex to organize plan, and edit. Even 10 page chapters are a challenge. Even when I finish the first draft and get to the second draft, I want to avoid excessively long chapters. You're not writing for robots, but for a human audience with human attention spans. People like to read a chapter at a time. You want to make it bite-sized.

This is also not like fiction where you can just come up with an idea and start writing and writing and writing and then stop. (Fiction generally doesn't work that way either, for that matter, but it can if you're writing a simple story). Think of this as a gigantic jigsaw puzzle with about 10,000 pieces, missing pieces, even fake pieces. For example, we may have 3 or 4 different dates for when a battle took place, or widely varying numbers on size of armies or casualties. Even the nature of the action can be confused. In one account, it may be an ambush. In another account, it might be a running fight. If the date is off, it may appear to happen after another event.

This is not simply putting ideas on paper, it's complex analysis (this is where my outside work in the civilian and military worlds comes into play, because that's basically what I do for a living). For example, one of the biggest questions is the degree to which the U.S. government knew of the effort of American citizens to invade Mexico. Various writers have assumed that the U.S. was either directly involved in organizing it or took a nod-and-wink approach. They'll grab a line from a letter to Secretary of State James Madison, and say, "see, look. He knew x and y."
But what I've done is put every single letter written about the expedition into a spreadsheet, listed chronologically including tabs showing when, as far as we know, the letters arrived. Because it turns out the time period for the special agent on the scene to write to Washington and get a response was four months! Add in other details showing his presence on the frontier was essentially a coincidence, and the narrative that it was some kind of coordinated activity, falls apart. (Added to the fact that so many of the participants have links to the Burr conspiracy, which also undermines the idea that the administration was behind it).

So this is why this is also such a lengthy process. I've been reading up on this topic for 20 years, started my thesis work in 2015 and started writing this book in late 2017 and I'm still figuring out new things. It's not like a book on, say Guadalcanal where 80 percent of the facts are known and uncontested.

Ag_EQ12
AG
Quote:

As for the chapters, this is a first draft. The chapters are created on a thematic, chronologic and logical basis. They may be consolidated in the future, but for organizational purposes, it's better to do it this way. That way, for example, I can create a folder for each and drop copies of the relevant source documents into it, so I don't have to hunt all over my very large directory (thousands of documents) for the ones relevant to that chapter.
Gotcha. Everyone has their own way of tackling a book project.

Quote:

If you tried to write a 20 page chapter, it would be horrendously complex to organize plan, and edit. Even 10 page chapters are a challenge. Even when I finish the first draft and get to the second draft, I want to avoid excessively long chapters. You're not writing for robots, but for a human audience with human attention spans. People like to read a chapter at a time. You want to make it bite-sized.
This is where I disagree with you. You rarely see academic monographs with chapters shorter than 20 pages. It can be difficult to organize and plan large chapters, but that's the craft of writing history. The chapters in my most recent book project averaged about 35 pages. At A&M you would likely be advised to shoot for somewhere around 300 pages and 7 chapters or so (intro, 5 body chapters, conclusion) in a phd dissertation. Obviously this varies a bit person to person, but most historians would advise chapters in the 20 - 45 page range to adequately develop the argument and topic of the chapter. Also, editors are usually looking for books in the 80,000 to 130,000 word range. Chapters of this length are common practice, and when you get some practice organizing your thoughts and research for a project of this scale it won't be as challenging.

If you feel you have too many different vignettes to put together in a chapter, try widening your aperture a bit and see how they all fit in the bigger picture. Then draw those connections as you write through the specific events/elements.

I imagine your advisor will have plenty of advice when you start turning chapters in. The fact that you're making solid progress is fantastic. So many people get started on a phd dissertation and never get into the habit of writing and it eventually crushes them. Good for you. Keep it up!
aalan94
AG
I see your point, but I'm trying to harmonize two competing impulses - academic rigor and readability. I've been writing professionally for 20 years. As a journalist for a daily newspaper, I generally wrote 2-3 stories a day for years. I've got a pretty good idea of what flows and what doesn't. I've also studied how books are put together and which authors make the best mix of history and readability. Stephen Ambrose comes to mind. Band of Brothers aside, his work on Lewis and Clark was a master of entertaining history.

I have enough research here to pursue a PhD and write in the pre-approved way if I felt I needed to. And given the time, I would love to do it. But I'm 46 years old, and I don't need another paper to validate myself. Like I said, I've been writing for a long time. I've written daily newspaper articles read by as many as 200,000 people, which is more than read your average history book. The readers live in my head and I can hear their voices when they tell me they're getting bored or losing interest. They key, I think, is to banish some of the offending information that is supporting but not necessary to the narrative to footnotes and appendices. It's also important to be concise with arguments. Yes, you are right that to develop a concept fully, it sometimes takes a lot of space. But there are ways around that. The first is to break up the argument and spread it out. Take for example the question of American involvement. Rather than spend 10 pages arguing it to completion, you identify 3-4 points in the narrative where a relevant event takes place. You argue part of the argument on the first, another concept on the second, and more on the later ones. This has the additional benefit of having readers absorb the argument by osmosis rather than by pausing, mid narrative for a preaching session.

Then, of course, in the conclusion, you bring these elements together, touch on them very quickly to remind the reader of what he read in chapters six, nine and 15, and make your final case.

As to the eventual lengths of the chapters, like everything those will grow, shrink or change depending on the edits to come as well as the process of standing back at the end of the first draft, asking "what the hell hath I wrought" before proceeding to revise for the second draft. In the end, the story will win. I can't fight it. If it makes the most sense to do it a certain way, that will happen. But having proceeded from the standpoint of starting off with readability in mind, it's much easier to group, combine, whatever than to have a giant mess and then try to revise it from there, putting the reader's interest at the end of the process.

Ultimately, the length is about the same as you suggest. My estimate in my spreadsheet has me at 363 pages. Whether my "chapters" now stay as chapters or become subheads within larger chapters is not even a consideration during this draft.
Ag_EQ12
AG
My mistake! I thought you had decided to go for the PhD. Writing for a PhD committee is quite different from writing for an editor. Cool.

If you sell 20,000 books you'll have had some serious success. 200,000 and I'd say quit your day job!
huisachel
Started reading Arredondo today. The first section laying the background is superb. Already knew a lot of it but he supplies a context I had not thought of.

Thanks for the recommendation
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.