Marine Corps Question

1,601 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How did the USMC handle 1861? Never heard of any Confederate Marines, but it just stands to reason there had to be some.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ja86
AG
The Confederate States Marine Corps (CSMC) was a branch of the Confederate States armed forces. It was established by an act of the Confederate Congress on March 16, 1861. The CSMC's manpower was initially authorized at 45 officers and 944 enlisted men, and was increased on September 24, 1862 to 1,026 enlisted men,

Bassfield
AG
I visited the National Museum of the Marine Corps earlier this month and there was an exhibit dedicated to marines during the Civil War. Also, there was some recognition of confederate marines at the museum. For more info, google Confederate marines.

Here is a referenced from the museum guide book I purchased.

"When Civil War fractured the country, some Marines broke rank and fought for the south. Marines captured abolitionist John Brown at Harpers Ferry and they were at Manassas. Federal Marine Corporal John F. Mackie can be seen firing on Confederate positions from a gun port on the USS Galena, recreating the action that resulted in his being awarded the Medal of Honor, the first such honor for a Marine. The gallery closes with the story of the Marine who accompanied Abraham Lincoln to Gettysburg."

Rabid Cougar
AG
aggiejim70 said:

How did the USMC handle 1861? Never heard of any Confederate Marines, but it just stands to reason there had to be some.
There was a Battalion of U.S. Marines that got routed at Manassas, in fairness the whole Union army ran. Other than guarding ships ,manning guns, and making sure their crews stayed in line, they had extremely minor roles in the capture of New Orleans and the battle of Fort Fisher, SC. The CS Marines pretty much did the same thing. I think there was less than 4,000 of them both forces combined.

Mackie's bravery precipitated from the Galena's captain's stupidity. Who anchors their ironclad 400 yards from an earthen fort that has a 150 foot elevation advantage and 10 more heavy guns than you have available????

Drewery's Bluff is a very cool fort and is part of the Richmond National Battlefield. Lots of huge earthworks overlooking the James River right off the I-95 access road south of Richmond. Highly recommended.

aggiejim70
AG
It's always appreciated when one receives courteous, on point replies to a question. Thank you.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
PanzerAggie06
AG
Went hiking a few weeks ago around Harpers Ferry and stopped off in the town to check out the sites. I'd forgotten that the Marines who responded to the John Brown raid in 1859 were lead by Lee. I also believe that Jeb Stuart was with Lee at Harpers Ferry.
BQ78
AG
Marines were still in their traditional role of ship security and "sailor control during the Civil War period and were very small in number. I think Teddy Roosevelt's time is when they started being used as an expeditionary force, heck even in World War I they were part of the Army's Second Division.

Cougar pointed out the highlight of the USMC on land in that a battalion was at First Bull Run and got routed off the field with the rest of the army. They also did some good work at Ft. Fisher in North Carolina.

I suppose the Confederate highlight for their marine corps on land actually came on Lee's retreat to Appomattox. When Richmond and Petersburg fell the sailors and marines of the James River Fleet were formed into a battalion under Commodore John Tucker (300 sailors, 200 marines). The retreat was obviously a dismal time for the Army of Northern Virginia but Tucker's Marine Battalion was a source of some comic relief for Lee's veterans, who scoffed at the navy and marine uniforms of the battalion with their seaman's caps, blue jean collars, marine shakos and bell bottomed white pants. Lee's men called them the "Aye, Ayes" because they answered every order with an "Aye, aye" or repeated every order and added an "Aye, aye" at the end. Ironically enough this good natured ribbing ended at the Battle of Sailor's (Sayler's) Creek. Sailor's Creek was a disaster for Lee in that almost all of Ewell's Corps was cut off and captured by the attacking Federals.

Tucker's men were assigned to that corps in a division commanded by Lee's son Custis. The sailors and marines were one of the few Confederate units that did not break in the initial Federal charge at Sailor's Creek. After the rest of the corps surrendered the marine battalion held out and at one point counterattacked the six Federal divisions surrounding them in the wooded area they were holding. That attack routed two Federal regiments off the battlefield. After refusing several demands to surrender and repulsing attacks, Tucker saw the hopelessness of the situation and was the last Confederate unit to surrender at Sailor's Creek. More than one Federal regimental commander commented on the stubborn and heroic defense of Tucker's men in their official report of the battle. After the war, Tucker exiled himself to Peru where he became an admiral in their navy and helped map the Amazon basin. One cool story is Tucker surrendered his sword to a Union Officer at Sailor's Creek and when he was on his death bed in 1883 at Petersburg, that former Federal officer heard about it and traveled to Tucker to present the sword back to the dying man.
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ78 said:

Marines were still in their traditional role of ship security and "sailor control during the Civil War period and were very small in number. I think Teddy Roosevelt's time is when they started being used as an expeditionary force, heck even in World War I they were part of the Army's Second Division.

Cougar pointed out the highlight of the USMC on land in that a battalion was at First Bull Run and got routed off the field with the rest of the army. They also did some good work at Ft. Fisher in North Carolina.

I suppose the Confederate highlight for their marine corps on land actually came on Lee's retreat to Appomattox. When Richmond and Petersburg fell the sailors and marines of the James River Fleet were formed into a battalion under Commodore John Tucker (300 sailors, 200 marines). The retreat was obviously a dismal time for the Army of Northern Virginia but Tucker's Marine Battalion was a source of some comic relief for Lee's veterans, who scoffed at the navy and marine uniforms of the battalion with their seaman's caps, blue jean collars, marine shakos and bell bottomed white pants. Lee's men called them the "Aye, Ayes" because they answered every order with an "Aye, aye" or repeated every order and added an "Aye, aye" at the end. Ironically enough this good natured ribbing ended at the Battle of Sailor's (Sayler's) Creek. Sailor's Creek was a disaster for Lee in that almost all of Ewell's Corps was cut off and captured by the attacking Federals.

Tucker's men were assigned to that corps in a division commanded by Lee's son Custis. The sailors and marines were one of the few Confederate units that did not break in the initial Federal charge at Sailor's Creek. After the rest of the corps surrendered the marine battalion held out and at one point counterattacked the six Federal divisions surrounding them in the wooded area they were holding. That attack routed two Federal regiments off the battlefield. After refusing several demands to surrender and repulsing attacks, Tucker saw the hopelessness of the situation and was the last Confederate unit to surrender at Sailor's Creek. More than one Federal regimental commander commented on the stubborn and heroic defense of Tucker's men in their official report of the battle. After the war, Tucker exiled himself to Peru where he became an admiral in their navy and helped map the Amazon basin. One cool story is Tucker surrendered his sword to a Union Officer at Sailor's Creek and when he was on his death bed in 1883 at Petersburg, that former Federal officer heard about it and traveled to Tucker to present the sword back to the dying man.
I had totally forgotten about Tucker and his Aye Ayes on Lee's Retreat and their participation at Saylor's Creek.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.