Old US Cavalry Bit

1,590 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JABQ04
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I found this in an old house near the Brazos River in Brazos County. Google shows it to be an M1859 US cavalry bit. It seems these things were made so well that people used them for many years after any military service was over. The rings that are held on with bailing wire are obviously a later addition. Any horse people out there know why they would have been added?

Being a Louisiana native, I'm not too familiar with the history of this area. Was there cavalry activity around here during the war? What about Indian/ Comanche still in this area after the war? Buffalo Soldiers in the area that would meet the time frame?

Cardiac Saturday
AG
Have no idea on your questions but cool find none-the-less!
Rabid Cougar
AG
In your question about cavalry/indian actions in the area, Brazos County. The answer is there was none. This area had been pretty much "civilized" before the Civil War. Most of the U.S. Army Dragoon activity (which they would not have this piece of tack) were well to the west of Brazos County in the late 1840's and 50's along a line that parallels the west side of I-35 and even further west (U.S. Cavalry) in the 1860 and 70's.

This is probably just a relic that someone bought/found and brought home.
JABQ04
AG
Leindo platantion in Hempstead is not very far from the Brazos or Brazos county. It was a Confederate training camp during the war as well as a POW Camp. General Custer also occupied the area during the occupation of Texas after the ACW and as I've been told was ordered to destroy the house but refused to do so because he enjoyed the hospitality.

Also how to close to A&M was this found? I imagine any mounted training by the early classes of AMC would have been using Civil War Surplus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.