Unpublished memoir from a Bataan survivor

2,392 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cmiller00
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been sitting on this for a while & wanted to put it out there for everyone to read. One of my neighbor's great uncles was a Bataan survivor & typed up this 9 page memoir sometime after the war. His is since passed away & not many folks have read this outside of immediate family. Knowing my interest in history, he gave me a copy. I removed the name to preserve family privacy.

For some reason I can't get the pics from Imgur to show up here, so here is the link. Maybe someone could help me post it correctly.

https://imgur.com/a/TEM09

purplehayes
Holy crap. It's incredible what these men went through.
Smokedraw01
Thanks for sharing.
Cen-Tex
AG
Good read about the character of that generation.
Gunny456
AG
My uncle, on my dads side, was a survivor of it as well. He spent the entire war in Japan at a prison camp after being captured at Corregidor and surviving the death march. He lived in San Antonio and retired up at Lake LBJ and passed away about 6 years ago. He was really something and had a unique outlook on life. When he came home he weighed 74 lbs. The greatest generation for sure.
It surely made me upset last night on the Bill Maher show when that kid said the "millennials" needed no apology from the generations before him that have screwed our country up. Bet he does not even know what the Bataan Death March was.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
That's one helluva account; thanks for sharing it!!
JR69
AG
Gunny456 said:

My uncle, on my dads side, was a survivor of it as well. He spent the entire war in Japan at a prison camp after being captured at Corregidor and surviving the death march. He lived in San Antonio and retired up at Lake LBJ and passed away about 6 years ago. He was really something and had a unique outlook on life. When he came home he weighed 74 lbs. The greatest generation for sure.
It surely made me upset last night on the Bill Maher show when that kid said the "millennials" needed no apology from the generations before him that have screwed our country up. Bet he does not even know what the Bataan Death March was.
If your uncle was captured on Corregidor, he wasn't in the Death March. Corregidor fell on May 6 and the Death March was essentially over by then. POWs from Corregidor were taken to Manila, paraded through the streets, and ultimately incarcerated at Fort Santiago or Bilibid prison until such time as they were sent off to labor camps elsewhere in the Philippines, Japan, or any of the other occupied territories.

My mother's first cousin was captured on Bataan and managed to survive all the way to Camp O'Donnell and later to Cabanatuan where he spent the remainder of the war as a POW.
Aggie12B
AG
Awesome read. Thanks for sharing
JR69
AG
It's a great read, like many of the first hand accounts of what our military men saw and perceived. I say perceived because there are a couple of obvious historical inaccuracies in his account. These are things that an enlisted man on the ground in the midst of fighting could not know first hand and do not at all detract from his experience.

First, it was the Japanese 14th Army that invaded the Philippines early in the morning of December 8, 1941. The 14th was commanded by Lt General Masaharu Homma, who did not commit ritual suicide. He remained in command until after the fall of Corregidor. He was forcibly retired in 1943 because he was perceived to be not aggressive enough, expected his troops to treat POWs in accordance with the Geneva Convention, and advocated decent and fair treatment of the Filipinos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaharu_Homma

Second, it is implied that the Japanese lull in the Battle of Bataan was attributed to to the bombardment of Singapore. That is simply not true. The bombing of Singapore was conducted from the air on Dec 8, nearly simultaneously with the landing on Luzon. The 14th Army never was pulled out and did not go to Singapore. They never left, so they never had to come back. Homma did not anticipate the retreat of our forces into the Bataan peninsula, and was unprepared for a long siege. After trying unsuccessfully to take Bataan by tactical maneuver, he was pressured to press a frontal assault after wearing down the Bataan defenders. Bataan was surrendered by General Edward King on April 9, 1942, and the Bataan Death March commenced almost immediately thereafter.

Homma was arrested in Japan after the surrender and taken to Manila, where he was tried by the war crimes courts primarily for the Death March, convicted, and sentenced to death by firing squad. He was executed in what is now Luneta Park in April, 1946.
Gunny456
AG
My mess up on him being captured at Corregidor. They did an article about him in the Higlander Newspaper in Burnet. I will try and link to it. He had three brothers, one being my dad. They all went to WWII and all made it home alive. We owe so much to all those guys in that era.
JR69
AG
Gunny456 said:

My mess up on him being captured at Corregidor. They did an article about him in the Higlander Newspaper in Burnet. I will try and link to it. He had three brothers, one being my dad. They all went to WWII and all made it home alive. We owe so much to all those guys in that era.
I certainly meant no disrespect with my post. I'd love to see the article if you can find it. I've got a particular interest in the war in the Philippines, probably because of my mother's cousin. I've been there several times, been to Corregidor, Camp O'Donnell, Cabanatuan, Los Banos POW camp, and the site of the Palawan POW massacre, Palo Leyte where MacArthur "returned", and several other places mentioned in the myriad of books I've read on the subject.
Gunny456
AG
JR69.....no thoughts of disrespect my brother. I have been on the road for a week and just returned home tonight.
I called my sister who has all the info on my uncle including a short memoir he wrote as well. Here is some info that is in it written by him:

August 1939 - Departed for the Philippines via Brooklyn Overseas Replacement &Discharge Depot.
Arrived Manila 14th February 1940.
Participated in all major battles of Philippine defense, surrendered by General A.D. King 9 April 1942.
Wounded in Action April 10, 1942
Survived the death march from Marivales to San Fernando.
Entered O'Donnell Prison camp at its beginning until its closure in 1942
Moved to Cabanatuan #2, worked the farm and quaned for Colonels Wilson, Montgomery, Tarpley, Moore and Bennet
Got very sick and was transferred to the hospital at Camp #3
Tranfered to Lipa Batangas to construct Japanese Air Base.
Went blind from malnutrition and was moved to Bilibid where I slowly regained my eyesight.
Was moved back to Cabanatuan # 2.
Was moved to Camp # 10 which was a Japanese Coal Mine
Transferred to main Japanese POW camp at ***uoka # 1
Worked there with colonel Walter Kosteki, U.S. Army Medical Department until Japan surrendered
Left camp ***uoka on September 12-13 on a C-47 to Konoy to Okinawa.
September 14, 1945 left Okinawa on a AAC B-25 headed for Manila.
Left Manila aboard transport ship USS Marine Shark bound for San Francisco.
From San Francisco to San Antonio, Texas via commercial airlines,
Was processed through project "J" at Fort Sam Houston, Texas and was discharged there
End

He re-enlisted in the Army Air Corp at Kelley Field where he remained until he was medically discharged February 12, 1948 at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas.
He was my favorite uncle and in all the years I knew him I never saw him mad at anyone.
Went blind from malnutrition
JR69
AG
If you ever have the opportunity to visit the Philippines, it would be interesting to visit Corregidor, the Bataan Peninsula, follow the Death March Route, visit Camp O'Donnell and Cabanatuan. You can't really visit Bilibid as it is an active prison today, but you can see it - it's right there in Manila - well actually in the National Capitol Region to the south of Manila.

I know for me, those places were really an emotional ride. My mom's cousin was a great guy in spite of his experiences. The more I learn about the war in the Philippines, the more I respect the Filipino people and the more thankful I am that my own father was "lucky" enough to serve in the European theater.
Gunny456
AG
Roger that and thanks.
Texmid
AG
Apache said:

I've been sitting on this for a while & wanted to put it out there for everyone to read. One of my neighbor's great uncles was a Bataan survivor & typed up this 9 page memoir sometime after the war. His is since passed away & not many folks have read this outside of immediate family. Knowing my interest in history, he gave me a copy. I removed the name to preserve family privacy.

For some reason I can't get the pics from Imgur to show up here, so here is the link. Maybe someone could help me post it correctly.

https://imgur.com/a/TEM09

That was an amazing read. Thank you so much for posting it.
Strategy
AG
Apache, thank you so much for this!
cmiller00
AG
Thanks for sharing
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.