What Kids Are Really Learning About Slavery

4,570 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rongagin71
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/552098/?__twitter_impression=true

Quote:

A new report released by the Southern Poverty Law Center's Teaching Tolerance project points to the widespread failure to accurately teach the hard, and nuanced, history of American slavery and enslaved people. Collectively, the report finds that slavery is mistaught, mischaracterized, sanitized, and sentimentalizedleaving students poorly educated, and contemporary issues of race and racism misunderstood.
BQ78
AG
Stopped at Southern Poverty Center
Propane & Accessories
AG
BQ78 said:

Stopped at Southern Poverty Center
I'll sum up the article for you
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, and #CheckYourPrivledge
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
Smokedraw01
Quote:

In what it describes as the first analysis of its kind, Teaching Tolerance conducted online surveys of 1,000 American high-school seniors and more than 1,700 social-studies teachers across the country. The group also reviewed 10 commonly used U.S.-history textbooks, and examined 15 sets of state standards to assess what students know, what educators teach, what publishers include, and what standards require vis--vis slavery.

Among 12th-graders, only 8 percent could identify slavery as the cause of the Civil War. Fewer than one-third (32 percent) correctly named the 13th Amendment as the formal end of U.S. slavery, with a slightly higher share (35 percent) choosing the Emancipation Proclamation. And fewer than half (46 percent) identified the "Middle Passage" as the transport of enslaved Africans across the Atlantic Ocean to North America.
Quote:

The student results, which the report labels "dismal," extend beyond factual errors to a failure to grasp key concepts underpinning the nature and legacy of slavery. Fewer than one-quarter (22 percent) of participating high-school seniors knew that "protections for slavery were embedded in [America's] founding documents"that rather than a "peculiar institution" of the South, slavery was a Constitutionally enshrined right. And fewer than four in 10 students surveyed (39 percent) understood how slavery "shaped the fundamental beliefs of Americans about race and whiteness."

Examining the teachers' survey results might help explain why students struggled to answer questions on American enslavement: Educators are struggling themselves. While teachers overwhelmingly (92 percent) claim they are "comfortable discussing slavery" in their classroom, their teaching practices reveal profound lapses. Only slightly more than half (52 percent) teach their students about slavery's legal roots in the nation's founding documents, while just 53 percent emphasize the extent of slavery outside of the antebellum South. And 54 percent teach the continuing legacy of slavery in today's society.

Presley OBannons Sword
Quote:

And fewer than four in 10 students surveyed (39 percent) understood how slavery "shaped the fundamental beliefs of Americans about race and whiteness."

So four out of ten students understand a completely made up and subjective concept? They should be pretty happy about that.
Smokedraw01
Presley OBannons Sword said:

Quote:

And fewer than four in 10 students surveyed (39 percent) understood how slavery "shaped the fundamental beliefs of Americans about race and whiteness."

So four out of ten students understand a completely made up and subjective concept? They should be pretty happy about that.

I agree but they also probably need to know why and how race was created in this country and the long lasting impacts it has had on this country.
Presley OBannons Sword
RedAgs01 said:

Quote:

I agree but they also probably need to know why and how race was created in this country and the long lasting impacts it has had on this country.

Yes, I'm sure you do think that.
Smokedraw01
Why wouldn't we want students to know that history?
Sapper Redux

Quote:

Race and whiteness isn't a factor in the shape of American history? Really?
NE PA Ag
How do these survey results compare to other topics of history? I bet the results would be pretty "dismal" as well.
Federale01
AG
Please don't turn this forum into the cesspool that is the Politics Board.

I think in the end this comes down to prioritization and the difficulty of the subject matter. You know other topics that weren't taught well in high school? The Civil War or WWII. As a guy who has always been fascinated by military history, I always looked forward to learning about the wars. But they were almost completely unaddressed. We read all about the lead up to the Civil War, but almost completely skipped the execution of it. Same for WWII. These are significant events in our country and fundamentally changed the way we lived and the course of our government, and we virtually ignored them.

The wars and slavery are massive topics. You would have to spend entire semester just looking at those events to get close to understanding the ramifications of them. You simply cannot adequately teach students all they need to know in a normal high school semester where you are trying to cover hundreds of years of history. There is so much independent scholarship on these topics that students would be much better served being assigned additional books or readings about these topics like one would have in a college course. But that is not really how history is taught in high school. You have readings from text books which offer encyclopedic levels of explanation for events.
Solo Tetherball Champ
NY Ag said:

How do these survey results compare to other topics of history? I bet the results would be pretty "dismal" as well.

Yep. When I read the report linked above I had the exact same thought.
Smokedraw01
Federale01 said:

Please don't turn this forum into the cesspool that is the Politics Board.

I think in the end this comes down to prioritization and the difficulty of the subject matter. You know other topics that weren't taught well in high school? The Civil War or WWII. As a guy who has always been fascinated by military history, I always looked forward to learning about the wars. But they were almost completely unaddressed. We read all about the lead up to the Civil War, but almost completely skipped the execution of it. Same for WWII. These are significant events in our country and fundamentally changed the way we lived and the course of our government, and we virtually ignored them.

The wars and slavery are massive topics. You would have to spend entire semester just looking at those events to get close to understanding the ramifications of them. You simply cannot adequately teach students all they need to know in a normal high school semester where you are trying to cover hundreds of years of history. There is so much independent scholarship on these topics that students would be much better served being assigned additional books or readings about these topics like one would have in a college course. But that is not really how history is taught in high school. You have readings from text books which offer encyclopedic levels of explanation for events.

I never want to turn this board into anything like the joke that is the political board.

I agree with you that it's somewhat of timing issue but I also think we could prioritize more of an effort on slavery. Basically it's taught as "Everyone agrees that slavery is bad, right?" and that's about it. Almost like it just came with the English to the New World. Yet we'll teach the Magna Carta, English Bill of Rights, and so on. We provide context to so much about our history except for slavery.

I think that's a huge disservice. Now I agree about the post above and I wonder how kids respond to other questions about our history. So maybe it's on par with everything else.
Rongagin71
AG
RedAgs01 said:

Quote:

Race was created by evolution.
I think you are wanting to have the sociological aspects of black slavery given a higher priority rather than genetic science.
Here's a bit about white slavery, and the original "red necks" because they often picked their necks in order to sign the covenant in blood:
BQ78
AG
Quote:

Quote:

it just came with the English to the New World

Technically it was the Dutch or if not counting what would be the US, the Spanish.
Federale01
AG
Sorry. That comment wasn't for you.

I think it's a legitimate discussion to have, but I think we need to reshape how we deal with our history anyway. We don't teach students how they should learn history or why it is valuable to know. We teach them names, dates in the context of larger themes. So unless you love the subject you basically get what you get in school and then leave it for dead. History from textbooks alone is usually a pitiful representation of an event. I understand the limitations placed on high schools, but I think it's probably a problem for any historical event covered.
Sapper Redux
Federale01 said:

Sorry. That comment wasn't for you.

I think it's a legitimate discussion to have, but I think we need to reshape how we deal with our history anyway. We don't teach students how they should learn history or why it is valuable to know. We teach them names, dates in the context of larger themes. So unless you love the subject you basically get what you get in school and then leave it for dead. History from textbooks alone is usually a pitiful representation of an event. I understand the limitations placed on high schools, but I think it's probably a problem for any historical event covered.

It's a problem even in a lot of the 100 or 200 level college courses. I've taught some US History seminars that have 200 person lectures and then small group sessions with GAs (value varies) that can begin to really drill down into larger processes at work, but I've also taught lecture courses with 200 people that were just lecture courses with 200 people. It's hard enough keeping up with what happened in a 16 week course covering 300 years of history, let alone explaining to them why things happened and their impact on the present. One of my great frustrations on the politics board is trying to get otherwise smart, educated people to understand that just because it happened 150 years ago does not mean the impact has disappeared. Too many people wind up thinking of history as a series of events that happened but have little relevance to daily life.
Smokedraw01
BQ78 said:

Quote:

Quote:

it just came with the English to the New World

Technically it was the Dutch or if not counting what would be the US, the Spanish.
I understand that. My point was that many teachers are teaching it as something that came across with the English.
Martin Cash
AG
RedAgs01 said:

Quote:

I was under the impression 'race' existed long before the US.
Sapper Redux
BQ75 said:

RedAgs01 said:

Quote:

I was under the impression 'race' existed long before the US.

The definition of race as referring to broad groups classified by continent of origin and skin color is born in the 17th and 18th century. Before that it had a myriad of meanings that ranged from what we would call ethnicity today to trades or towns.
Rongagin71
AG
Many English words have more than one meaning, but most will know what "black slavery" means...if not, then we really are falling short teaching history!
InnerCityAg
SPLC is a trash organization. Their opinion should not be posted on the history board.
Presley OBannons Sword
Quote:

One of my great frustrations on the politics board is trying to get otherwise smart, educated people to understand that just because it happened 150 years ago does not mean the impact has disappeared.
do you not understand how statements like this are what make you and your left wing academia friends so intolerable? people on the other side of the political spectrum from you understand perfectly what you are saying. we just dont AGREE with you.
Sapper Redux

Quote:

One of my great frustrations on the politics board is trying to get otherwise smart, educated people to understand that just because it happened 150 years ago does not mean the impact has disappeared.
do you not understand how statements like this are what make you and your left wing academia friends so intolerable? people on the other side of the political spectrum from you understand perfectly what you are saying. we just dont AGREE with you.

If that's the case, then the arguments being made don't reflect it. I can't read your mind, just your posts.
claym711
AG
Why does more need to be taught about slavery? Just slavery in North America? Why?
Sapper Redux
claym711 said:

Why does more need to be taught about slavery? Just slavery in North America? Why?

Because it is foundational to our nation. As in literally foundational. Many of the decisions made were influenced in some way by slavery but our textbooks tend to eschew or simplify cultural and social history for political and institutional history because of the limits of time and space.
The Original AG 76
AG
claym711 said:

It doesn't need any special emphasis. Just more of the cult of victim that has grown like a cancer across our culture. Slavery happened, its over..so what ! No more important than any other piece of history.
Of course if your entire life is centered around playing the victim and allowing some events from 150+ years ago to act as a crutch or an excuse for the massive failures and failings of yourself and your " people" then you must cling to a sad and pathetic " its not our fault" narrative instead of accepting the reality of your own failings and inferior culture.
Sapper Redux
The Original AG 76 said:

claym711 said:

It doesn't need any special emphasis. Just more of the cult of victim that has grown like a cancer across our culture. Slavery happened, its over..so what ! No more important than any other piece of history.
Of course if your entire life is centered around playing the victim and allowing some events from 150+ years ago to act as a crutch or an excuse for the massive failures and failings of yourself and your " people" then you must cling to a sad and pathetic " its not our fault" narrative instead of accepting the reality of your own failings and inferior culture.

Wow. Could I recommend you read Woody Holton's Forced Founders, Rhys Isaac's Transformation of Virginia, Winthrop Jordan's White Over Black, Peter Wood's Black Majority, and Edmund Morgan's American Slavery, American Freedom? This was not just some thing that happened and ended. It is foundational to this country and how it developed.
Presley OBannons Sword
Dr. Watson said:

The Original AG 76 said:

claym711 said:

Wow. Could I recommend you read Woody Holton's Forced Founders, Rhys Isaac's Transformation of Virginia, Winthrop Jordan's White Over Black, Peter Wood's Black Majority, and Edmund Morgan's American Slavery, American Freedom? This was not just some thing that happened and ended. It is foundational to this country and how it developed.
jesus. it's like you go out of your way to remind everyone that you reside in the ivory tower of academia.

no one is arguing that slavery was foundational to the country. you are changing the argument. the original statement was:

Quote:

that is, pure and simply, not an objective historical topic that should be taught. how can you possibly calculate that 39% of students dont understand something that is completely undefined? that's like saying that 39% of students dont understand how big a rock is.

what it is, is a modern day political talking point just dripping with progressivism, and you are trying to present it as simple historical knowledge.
Sapper Redux
How are American understandings of race "undefined"? We have the primary source material and decades of research that can provide a pretty straightforward story about the evolution of American attitudes towards race and the idea of what whiteness was, who was white, and its importance. Slavery is a huge piece of that puzzle. That isn't some nebulous concept or topic.
Presley OBannons Sword
Ok
Presley OBannons Sword
Thank you for educating me.
Smokedraw01
The Original AG 76 said:

claym711 said:

The issues that caused and perpetuated slavery were replaced by black codes and Jim Crow. Those things limited the opportunity of African Americans and has long-term effects. We can't complain about the systemic issues with the AA community when the issues were caused by systemic programs.
BQ78
AG
So how far do we have to get away in time from Jim Crow to finally say all is well?

Remember racism was dead when we elected a "Black" President only to see it rear its ugly head as a divisive issue and it is getting even worse under the new president. How far do we have to get away before the issue is no longer inequality and racism?
Ag_EQ12
AG
BQ78 said:

So how far do we have to get away in time from Jim Crow to finally say all is well?

Remember racism was dead when we elected a "Black" President only to see it rear its ugly head as a divisive issue and it is getting even worse under the new president. How far do we have to get away before the issue is no longer inequality and racism?
Who knows? It's been around 50 years now and that hasn't been enough after 100+ years of slavery and 100ish years of Jim Crow.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.