Hunley- Mystery Solved

1,363 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 74OA
Aggies Revenge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shockwave from the mine used on the Housatonic caused traumatic lung and brain damage to the crew of the Hunley.

Link
p_bubel
BQ78
AG
Posted two months ago, it is interesting that the original theory is indeed what happened.
Rongagin71
AG
It was known to be a suicide mission,
but there was no shortage of volunteers.
aalan94
AG
I wouldn't say it was known to be a suicide mission. It was highly suspected, but the crew did have hope.

I have always thought this the most plausible theory because I think they underestimated the force of a pressure wave in a liquid. They basically depth charged themselves.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Saw something today saying that the announcement was false. Trying to find the statement.
BQ78
AG
As Rabid is saying that release may be premature but that was exactly what the Huntley organization was saying two months ago. Now they are backing away from it some based on this US Navy analysis:

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/underwater-archaeology/sites-and-projects/ship-wrecksites/hl-hunley/hunley-incident-analysis.html
BQ78
AG
For those who say the report is TLDR:

Crack in the forward ballast outlet pipe. But how did it get there and why didn't the crew try to get out?
74OA
AG
Not so fast.......
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.