Every day things directly effected by historical events

776 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rongagin71
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are packing to move right now. As we were going through the kitchen I was emptying the cabinets and we store all of our glasses and cups upside down. Of course this has been handed down generationally to us from our families. And it most likely started in the dust bowl era. What other things around the house or in your day to day activities can you think of that are directly related to historical events/eras?
spud1910
AG
My house and garage are filled with potentially useful things that I haven't used in years and may never use. My grandparents lived through the Great Depression and the rationing of WWII. Nothing was thrown away if it had the potential to ever be used again.
BrazosBendHorn
I have a Hamilton railroad watch that belonged to my paternal grandfather. (As best as I've been able to determine, it was manufactured in 1913.) He was a brakeman and later an engineer with the New York Central railroad from about the mid-1910s (except for time out for Army duty in WWI) through 1957. As such, he was an engineer during the golden age of passenger rail, and drove both the steam-powered behemoths and their successors, the diesel-electric locomotives. (A tiny inscription on the inside of the back indicates that it was cleaned and adjusted in 1966. The insides still look brand new.)
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Still use as a toolbox the family mailbox from about 1910 !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Rongagin71
AG
Still use a kitchen clock that was a wedding gift from my g-g-grandfather to his new wife in 1844.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.