AEF Tour, Pershing's Doughboys

1,339 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by libertyag
libertyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A couple of years ago I visited Tarawa where my dad first saw action and my wife and my son and I are going back for the 75th anniversary in 2018. My grandfather fought in The Great War but I have no information as to where. Unlike Tarawa's 350 acres or so, France is a bit bigger and would like to have visited where he actually fought.

Recently, I came across an application for my grandfather's headstone. In 1944, the year he died, the government would provide a stone for veterans. On that application it listed his division, regiment, and his company. And doing a little research, I was able to find out some of the places where he was during our involvement in that war. He was gassed at one of them but I am not sure yet which one, still working on that.

Have just booked two spots on the France tour in August, 2018. Wish it was next month!
AEK
AG
Which unit? My Great Uncle was with the 141st Infantry, 36th Division and was KIA at St Etienne-a-Arnes. My G-G-Grandfather was a part of the CEF and died in Valenciennes of the influenza shortly after the armistice was signed. Both are buried there in France. I got to visit a few years ago, cannot wait to go back! Have fun!
libertyag
AG
Thanks AEK, looking forward to it.

My grandfather was in the 32nd Division, 128th Regiment, A company.

Very cool you got to go to France where you lost family members. I hope to go to every site where my dad fought and most of those where my grandfather fought.
JR_83

I think my grandfather was also in the 32nd. The story we heard growing up was that he was due to go to the front on November 11. Thank goodness for the Armistice!
JR69
AG
libertyag said:

A couple of years ago I visited Tarawa where my dad first saw action and my wife and my son and I are going back for the 75th anniversary in 2018. My grandfather fought in The Great War but I have no information as to where. Unlike Tarawa's 350 acres or so, France is a bit bigger and would like to have visited where he actually fought.

Recently, I came across an application for my grandfather's headstone. In 1944, the year he died, the government would provide a stone for veterans. On that application it listed his division, regiment, and his company. And doing a little research, I was able to find out some of the places where he was during our involvement in that war. He was gassed at one of them but I am not sure yet which one, still working on that.

Have just booked two spots on the France tour in August, 2018. Wish it was next month!
They still do
aggiejim70
AG
Both my grandfathers were WWI vets. For my mother's father, being a WWI vet defined him for the next 73 years of his life. He served with the 7th division. I remember two of his stories, from either end of his service. He enlisted in his small farming community in Iowa. Some sergeant to take charge of a half dozen or so volunteers, and as they are marching to the train station they're being laughed at by the local 80 year old Civil War vets. The other was from the morning of 11/11/18. He and his buddies went to draw some ordinance, but some captain refused them saying the War would be over at 11am and we're not going to kill anyone this morning. Not everyone felt that way. The big guns on both sides fired right up to 11am.

My dad's father was a 1st Sgt in the Texas National Guard. He was getting his men on the ship in New York to go to France when he got run over and broke both his legs. He spent the war in an Austin hospital. Of course, if that hadn't happened, I wouldn't be here, as that's where he met my grandmother.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
mullokmotx
AG
What company is the France tour with?
libertyag
AG
mullokmotx said:

What company is the France tour with?
It is with Valor Tours. I went on their Tarawa tour a couple of years ago and going back on their 2018 Tarawa tour, the 75th anniversary.

If you have any thoughts on the tour to France, check into it soon. After I reserved my spaces, I got an email both from Valor Tours and the tour guide that it was almost full.
libertyag
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Some sergeant to take charge of a half dozen or so volunteers, and as they are marching to the train station they're being laughed at by the local 80 year old Civil War vets. .
That is such a surreal thought to me. Had to be unnerving to the volunteers!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.