Archeological excavation of mass grave from 30 Years War

1,590 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristinakillgrove/2017/05/25/mass-grave-from-thirty-years-war-reveals-brutal-cavalry-attack/#60db12d836a7

Interesting information, another article I read said they confirmed a legend that riflemen kept bullets in their mouths to help reload faster. A couple of the corpses had bullets in their mouths.
ja86
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ78 said:

Interesting information, another article I read said they confirmed a legend that riflemen kept bullets in their mouths to help reload faster. A couple of the corpses had bullets in their mouths.
Interesting read. Wheellocks and Matchlocks. Most guns of that period were huge smooth bores ,8 to 12 balls per pound equaling out to about .76 to .82 caliber. I don't think they could hold very many in the mouth at one time.

It was a very common practice on the American colonial frontier when they were shooting .32 to 36 caliber rifles. It helped speed loading and lubricated the balls with spit, specially when hunting. You see it in practice in the movie "Last of the Mohicans".

titan
S

It is very interesting to see find from that period like this. It is not too often that you see attention to one of the more `less familiar' zones of history where graves are concerned. Especially on items like the weapons and equipment, sometimes a remaining section can correct or explain missing details from reconstructions to date.

Most intriguing!
VanZandt92
This is just an incredible find. So interesting. I know that most of archaeology isn't this exciting, but I get so jealous of those involved in stuff like this.
VanZandt92
The author attributed lack of artifacts to negative feelings, but people were dirt poor, often owning little more than what was on their back. That is why the bodies were looted.
Rabid Cougar
AG
VanZandt92 said:

The author attributed lack of artifacts to negative feelings, but people were dirt poor, often owning little more than what was on their back. That is why the bodies were looted.
Often how soldiers "liberated" their "pay". Camp followers would have looted them too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.