Ken Burns presents: Vietnam

2,438 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
P.H. Dexippus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ken-burns-tackles-vietnam-war-visceral-18-hour-172644527.html

Apologies if this had already been discussed. I'm looking forward to watching.
Bird Poo
AG
Why do they have to say this?

Quote:

Like many wealthier Americans, including Donald Trump, the sons of top Vietnamese communist officials were able to avoid the draft by studying at university, or were sent off to the Soviet Union.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
kayakag said:

Quote:

Like many wealthier Americans, including Donald Trump, the sons of top Vietnamese communist officials were able to avoid the draft by studying at university, or were sent off to the Soviet Union.

Agreed...I didn't care for the write up. That's what I get for citing Yahoo!
IDAGG
AG
kayakag said:

Quote:

If they had left out Trump's name and instead said: "many middle class and wealthy Americans" they would have been completely accurate. The college exemption allowed the middle class and above to avoid service by attending college..and then graduate school if needed.

Presley OBannons Sword
kayakag said:

Quote:

Ugh that is so obnoxious.
JABQ04
AG
Because I like the guy I'm not gonna knock him around too hard, but the college deferment is the only reason my old man went to college
Presley OBannons Sword
JABQ04 said:

Because I like the guy I'm not gonna knock him around too hard, but the college deferment is the only reason my old man went to college

My dad probably would have gone to college anyways, but it definitely solidified it for him. He'll tell you pretty straight up too that he had no interest in going to Vietnam, and that he planned to join the navy after college if he had to to stay out of there. He doesn't try to hide that fact, but i think he struggles with a guilty conscience over it sometimes (especially since I joined the Marines and went to Afghanistan after college).
JABQ04
AG
My dad has told me he regrets his decision of not going in. And like you I joined the military after I left A&M. I take that a couple of ways, and feel bad he feels guilty, but I mean, I might not have been born. He was a good enough role model that he pointed me in the direction I took. Personally it doesn't make a difference to me. He did what he thought was right at the time for himself.
Presley OBannons Sword
JABQ04 said:

My dad has told me he regrets his decision of not going in. And like you I joined the military after I left A&M. I take that a couple of ways, and feel bad he feels guilty, but I mean, I might not have been born. He was a good enough role model that he pointed me in the direction I took. Personally it doesn't make a difference to me. He did what he thought was right at the time for himself.

I view it the same way.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Should be - one goes they all go ! Started with Korea War ! Too many didn't serve.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

but i think he struggles with a guilty conscience over it sometimes (especially since I joined the Marines and went to Afghanistan after college).
I could not afford nor had the grades to go to college after graduation. I enlisted. Not many wanted to go to Vietnam but I felt it was my debt to this country to serve.

I re-enlisted because witnessing my age peers take to the streets nightly made me sad. I knew my service was helping my country and gave them four more years.

I also wondered what those protesters would tell their children and grandchildren. Mine invite me to Veterans Day celebrations at their schools.

I hold no animosity towards those who avoided going to the military, only sadness.

Thank you for your service in Afghanistan.

Rabid Cougar
AG
My father went to school (tu) but not to avoid draft in 1960. He did not go to A&M because he didn't want be in the military.

My uncle quit tu in 1968 because his girlfriend quit him. He got his draft notice soon afterwards. He went to Vietnam in 1969-1970.

I wanted to be in the military but none would take me with 80% hearing loss.

Still went to Iraq twice and Afghanistan once as a DoD civilian. Have been shot at and seen more combat (just in Afghanistan) than any of my A&M Corps buddies who were commissioned. (An Admiral, three captains and several Lt Commanders and Lts).
ag_derp
AG
Ken Burns is an Obama lover
jickyjack1
kayakag said:

Quote:

Three guesses and the first two don't count.

Burns slipped in personal viewpoints in his Civil War "documentary", too. Since the CW one I've never watched anything of his.

Generally -- not always -- public media is bad news. They subtly but commonly stack the deck.
95_Aggie
AG
The PBS Newshour is about the only place left to get unbiased news on television ... unless you want to watch the BBC.
jickyjack1
AGnCS said:

The PBS Newshour is about the only place left to get unbiased news on television ... unless you want to watch the BBC.

I like "Think" with Chris Boyd in the mornings on the Dallas public radio station.

I get news from the internet -- which hardly removes political slant -- and rarely watch television anymore (except for Aggie sports), but try to listen to public radio while in the shower. Some days the bias is pretty evident, some days not. But Boyd and her guests are usually interesting and she rarely betrays an agenda.
Rabid Cougar
AG
jickyjack1 said:

AGnCS said:

I like "Think" with Chris Boyd in the mornings on the Dallas public radio station.

I get news from the internet -- which hardly removes political slant -- and hardly watch television anymore (except for Aggie sports), but try to listen to public radio while in the shower. Some days the bias is pretty evident, some days not. But Boyd and her guests are usually interesting and she rarely betrays an agenda.
You can definitely tell the bias on NPR. Their questioning is very slanted.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.