Global Warming Is Thawing Out the Frozen Corpses of a Forgotten WWI Battle

2,629 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aalan94
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Global Warming Is Thawing Out the Frozen Corpses of a Forgotten WWI Battle
VanZandt92
Incredible
libertyag
AG
Most of my reading on WWII involves the islands where my Dad fought and my grandfather fought in WWI though my knowledge of where is pretty thin. But I never heard of this battle and to think 750,000 deaths resulted is mind-boggling.

Thanks for posting this.
aalan94
AG
If anyone took classes from Dr. Arnold Krammer at A&M, he had a father who fought in WWI on the Austrian side, and it was in one of these Alpine battles. He had a few stories about it.
BQ78
AG
I had heard about this but had not seen any pictures yet.

Of course, this is where Rommel got his start in war.
Colt98
AG
Dr Krammer... I met my wife because of his class. It was also one of my favorite classes at A&M.
cbr
AG
cool story. though technically, local warming is thawing them out. jury is still waaay out on the global part.
Post removed:
by user
bufrilla
AG
This quote taken from the local authority that handles the finds. "There were no bodies last year, said Dr Nicolis. Now his team are waiting to see whether any will turn up this summer - but after heavy snow in the last few months, they fear the secrets of the past could remain hidden for many years longer".

So global warming is on hold!!!

Only 80 bodies have been recovered over a long extended period (since early 1990's).
Sapper Redux
I traveled to an alpine park not far from Vicenza and found miles of WWI trenches blasted into the side of the mountains. It was pretty incredible to walk through, especially going into the bunkers. Seemed like the shrapnel in a place like that would have been terrible.
aalan94
AG
An interesting question. Does ice shrapnel become a problem? If a bomb hits, does it blow large chunks of ice or basically powder? Or does it vaporize it? I'm guessing the worse problem would be an avalanche. If I was the enemy, I wouldn't target the trench, but the hillside above it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.