Fort Ticonderoga - have any of you visited?

3,583 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tallgrant
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm dying to make a pilgrimage to Fort Ticonderoga. Have any of you been. I think so many places north of the Mason Dixon line seem out of our galaxy, but I've got to get to this place. For those of you who don't know, this isn't a National Park Service site. Rather, it is a privately maintained site, with reenactors and events you would never find at another place.

Maybe it wont be as cool as I believe, but I'm going to get there.

clarythedrill
Not sure how much you will be able to see since winter has set in up there. During the summer there are re-enactments that are fun to watch and informative if you do not know much about the total history of the fort. Also, it is privately owned, so they charge $20 per person if I remember correctly.

EDIT: if you are going that far north, might as well visit Burlington/Lake Champlain and then Valcour Island. Top it off with a stop at Saratoga and walk that battlefield. Just an absolute ton of history in that part of the country.
AEK
AG
Went this past summer. Very cool! Also as was mentioned you can get to a few other sites in the area like Saratoga and Crown Point.
BQ78
AG
I spent an enjoyable half summer day there a few years ago. As Revolutionary sites go I kind of like Yorktown the best.
Fort George is up there too it is a recreation but well done, although French and Indian War.
Ft. Stanwix in Rome is NPS and is as good as Ticondoroga, plus nearby is Oriskany battlefield. Not to mention large stretches of the old Erie Canal.
45-70Ag
AG
I want to retrace Rogers's rangers footsteps during the battle of snowshoes and camp at rogers rock.

One day
AEK
AG
Irish_Man said:

I want to retrace Rogers's rangers footsteps during the battle of snowshoes and camp at rogers rock.

One day

Good luck with Rogers Slide!
VanZandt92
BQ78 said:

I spent an enjoyable half summer day there a few years ago. As Revolutionary sites go I kind of like Yorktown the best.
Fort George is up there too it is a recreation but well done, although French and Indian War.
Ft. Stanwix in Rome is NPS and is as good as Ticondoroga, plus nearby is Oriskany battlefield. Not to mention large stretches of the old Erie Canal.

I read a book about Stanwix. Such a great story.
(removed:110205)
I was just in Quebec City for Christmas. The Citadel and old town were great to see in the snow...could imagine what Arnold & Montgomery faced.

http://imgur.com/vYA3rkR

VanZandt92
Sid said:

I was just in Quebec City for Christmas. The Citadel and old town were great to see in the snow...could imagine what Arnold & Montgomery faced.

http://imgur.com/vYA3rkR

Indeed! I have tried to imagine how cold they were.
bufrilla
AG
Ft Ticonderoga is well preserved and great visit (summer best, with the outside activities). We made it to Ft Niagara, Stanwix, Saratoga, Bennington, Lexington& Concord, Bunker Hill, West Point, Morristown, Crossing the Delaware, Valley Forge, Yorktown, Kings Mtn., And Cowpens all in one trip. Plus Colonial Williamsburg/Jamestown. Great trip over 3 plus weeks.
Best:
Colonial Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown all within 20 minutes of each other. We visit Colonial Williamsburg for a week every year. Always enjoy.

Valley Forge

Ticonderoga/Niagara/West Point

Saratoga/Lexington/Concord

Morristown/Crossing Delaware/Kings Mtn/
Cowpens

Have visited most multiple times.
VanZandt92
That is a lot of Revolutionary War! I'll be camped at Cowpens battlefield this weekend. It is just a field, but is such an important place.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

For those of you who don't know, this isn't a National Park Service site. Rather, it is a privately maintained site, with reenactors and events you would never find at another place.
Monticello is also provately owned. We enjoyed it much more than we did the Truman home, which is NPS owned, and thus, much more hands off.
When you visit Cowpens, try to get over to King's Mountain.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
For those of you who have been, how much time should I consider for Ticonderoga and Saratoga? Trying to figure out if I have enough time to take our vacation through there, or if I should just save it for later...
BQ78
AG
Ticonderoga minimum 2 hours, Saratoga about 4 hours minimum.
tallgrant
Hour numbers are correct. Be aware that unlike some other national parks, Saratoga will close the tour road well before it gets dark.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.