Anglo Zulu War

2,291 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by txislandag86
Spore Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know of any books on this including Rorkes Drift?
DogCo84
AG
My dad did a lot of reading on the Anglo-Zulu wars. His go-to source was a 1965 book by Anapolis grad Donald R. Morris:

https://www.amazon.com/Washing-Spears-Rise-Fall-Nation/dp/B005M01HWI/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Spore Ag
Hey dog I will ck it out.
How did your dad developed such an interest?
DogCo84
AG
I'm not sure. My guess is that his interest in the Zulu wars could have been sparked by the movie "Zulu", which came out in 1964?

Dad had a pretty voracious appetite for history...particularly military history. For years, he had a subscription to the "Military Book Club" and would receive one or more new volumes every month on a variety of subjects. Like many of us, he would obsess on a subject for periods and then move on. When he died, I was left with a pretty huge library of history books--which isn't really a bad problem to have. I think about him every time I pick up one of his books!

Spore Ag
Makes your reading so much more worthwhile.
The Original AG 76
AG
One of my top 5 movies is ZULU. I still think it is one of Michael Cane's best. Fantastic British military flick.
I also include Zulu Dawn in the mix with Heston. A pretty good depiction of the Battle ofI Isandlwana. Interesting mix where one shows the brilliance and courage and traditions that made the British Army such an amazing and world conquering force YET the other also shows why the very system that works so well can be sabotaged by the class entitlement system that plagued the Brit when Piccadilly dandies rose up to command vs qualified military officers.
BQ78
AG
The Washing of the Spears is an oldie but goodie. For more recent scholarship try two books by Michael Snook, sort of a two volume history, How can Man Die Better: The Secrets of Isandlwana Revealed and Like Wolves on the Fold: The Defence of Rorke's Drift.
gigemhilo
AG
So I had never heard these battles, and I looked them up.

At Islandlwana, there was a solar eclipse. what are the odds of there being an eclipse in the middle of the battle? Sorry, that blew my mind.

Carry on...
Aggies Revenge
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

One of my top 5 movies is ZULU. I still think it is one of Michael Cane's best. Fantastic British military flick.
I also include Zulu Dawn in the mix with Heston. A pretty good depiction of the Battle ofI Isandlwana. Interesting mix where one shows the brilliance and courage and traditions that made the British Army such an amazing and world conquering force YET the other also shows why the very system that works so well can be sabotaged by the class entitlement system that plagued the Brit when Piccadilly dandies rose up to command vs qualified military officers.
They do dig to a deeper level. The notion of the Engineers being the only professional (in a modern sense) officer corps in the British Army at the time seems so ancient to us. While there are some examples of professional officers, they were not widespread. It would not be until Boer War when officers began to seriously upgrade their military education and develop a modern ideal of professionalism.
(removed:110205)
BQ78 said:

The Washing of the Spears is an oldie but goodie. For more recent scholarship try two books by Michael Snook, sort of a two volume history, How can Man Die Better: The Secrets of Isandlwana Revealed and Like Wolves on the Fold: The Defence of Rorke's Drift.
https://www.amazon.com/How-Can-Man-Die-Better/dp/185367656X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481407660&sr=8-2&keywords=mike+snook

Agreed on Snook's work.
txislandag86
BQ78 said:

Thanks for the recommendation on the two Snook books. I took an interest in the Boer Wars a few years back but never caught the bug for the Anglo-Zulu war but I do now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.