Maybe old news: recording of Hitler speaking conversationally

5,948 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Corporal Punishment
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw this online, and thought it was interesting. Maybe Germans (pun intended), maybe not.

Corporal Punishment
AG
Haven't seen this. What date is given for that conversation?

Nm...sometime in 1942.

Awesome post by the way. I texted it to my three brothers (all history nerds) and they love it.

The whole Molotov bit was the best.
p_bubel
Wow. Fascinating.
p_bubel
quote:
The Hitler and Mannerheim Recording is a secret voice recording of a private conversation between Adolf Hitler and Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim held in 1942. The Finnish engineer at the broadcasting company Yle, Thor Damen, succeeded in recording the first eleven minutes of Hitler's and Mannerheim's private conversation. Since Hitler never allowed anyone to record him off-guard, it had to be done secretly. Damen's original purpose was to record official birthday speeches and Mannerheim's responses. However, Damen decided to continue recording after the conversation switched from official to private.
The SS realized that Damen was recording the conversation, and they immediately demanded to have it stopped. The SS were furious, but Yle was allowed to keep the tape hidden away, never to be opened. The tape was given to head of the state censors' office, Kustaa Vilkuna, returned to Yle in 1957, and made publicly available a few years later. It is the only known recording of Hitler speaking in an unofficial tone and one of the very few recordings in which Hitler may be heard delivering a narrative without raising his voice.
The conversation is about Hitler explaining the failure of Operation Barbarossa, Italian defeats in North Africa, Yugoslavia, and Albania, armaments in the Soviet Union, and Romanian petroleum wells.

Wiki
schmendeler
AG
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the timing of what he's referring to, but it sounds like Hitler is saying that they didn't want to attack Russia, but they had to because the Soviets were licking their chops over Romania. Is that in any way in line with what he said?
jickyjack1
That is pretty amazing ... eerie, even. This is the first time I've ever really wished I spoke German. Were I young it might be reason enough to learn it; to attempt to paint pictures from the nuances and patterns would be fascinating.

After a day or two I'll listen again. To hear Hitler's voice in his "normal" conservational tone -- unknowingly recorded -- is something one would have never considered possible.

Of course, no great knowledge or eternal truths would be yielded, but still ...

Great post.
p_bubel
quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the timing of what he's referring to, but it sounds like Hitler is saying that they didn't want to attack Russia, but they had to because the Soviets were licking their chops over Romania. Is that in any way in line with what he said?
That's kind of how I heard it but he's also talking to Mannerheim - who is Finnish, so I took it as Hitler possibly trying to justify his invasion to a non-German.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
That is pretty amazing ... eerie, even. This is the first time I've ever really wished I spoke German. Were I young it might be reason enough to learn it; to attempt to paint pictures from the nuances and patterns would be fascinating.

After a day or two I'll listen again. To hear Hitler's voice in his "normal" conservational tone -- unknowingly recorded -- is something one would have never considered possible.

Of course, no great knowledge or eternal truths would be yielded, but still ...

Great post.

It's just striking to realize that he talked like a normal person, not a constant barking tone like when he was giving speeches, or how he's always portrayed in movies.

It kind of makes it "scarier" to realize he sounds almost reasonable, in tone, anyway.
schmendeler
AG
Yes, you're probably right
aalan94
AG
quote:
I do. It's pretty clearly Hitler's voice, and the Austrian accent is obvious. I've watched lots of speeches and have no doubt that it's him.

The translation you see is pretty much dead on. In fact, even though I'm very fluent in German, it's helpful to have that because the poor quality (probably a mic hidden in clothes) and muffled sound, especially of Hiltler's voice, which has a low tone anyway.
CW Griswold
The actor who played Hitler in Downfall apparently relied on the Mannerheim conversation to master Hitler's conversational speech patterns.
p_bubel

p_bubel
quote:

I do. It's pretty clearly Hitler's voice, and the Austrian accent is obvious. I've watched lots of speeches and have no doubt that it's him.

The translation you see is pretty much dead on. In fact, even though I'm very fluent in German, it's helpful to have that because the poor quality (probably a mic hidden in clothes) and muffled sound, especially of Hiltler's voice, which has a low tone anyway.

aalan94, what ever happened with your cabin project?
aalan94
AG
Cabin is up. For those who don't know the back story, I bought a log cabin built in the 1840s-1860s, disassembled it and moved it 8 miles and reassembled it on the family farm. It's a dog run, with one side the original log section and the other a later framed add-on. It was a house for probably a dozen years back in the day, then turned into a barn. In 2008, I discovered that the owner was going to tear it down and burn it, so I saved it. I had my cash from Iraq and a lot of idealism. It's been a lot of work since then, of course.

It's all rebuilt, on a solid foundation (it was on dirt before). The log section is not finished out. I want to make sure I master the plaster (see what I did there?) before I do that. But it's roofed over and I use that space for storage of materials (and a weight bench).

The other room, the framed one, is mostly finished out as a study and library (of course). And there's a nice breezeway that I can sit on and listen to the coyotes or even hunt deer from if I wanted. The log room is on hold until I get my wife a new kitchen in our other house, which is also old (built in 1900) and is in the process of gradual renovation.

The ultimate purpose of the cabin is to be a place where I can research and write (I start my thesis this year).

Send me a pm with your email and I'll send updated photos if you want. That applies to any of you guys.
p_bubel
Post removed:
by user
titan
S
This is amazing. aalan94 is the expert, but for own purposes I can understand bits of German, and very loosely at least, have no reason to doubt the translation is correct. The right German word appears when the talks hits timing of a word I know.

I wonder if that picture is associated with the recording? If so, that appears to the Winter Garden dining room of the Reich Chancellery. It was only a few yards behind the FuhrerBunker. it is that curved structure you see in some ruined pictures of the bunker blockhouse in the garden views.

aalan94
AG
p-bubel, my paid subscription has temporarily lapsed. Send me a message at james bernsen (no space) at hotmail dot com.
BQ78
AG
Titan:

quote:
I wonder if that picture is associated with the recording? If so, that appears to the Winter Garden dining room of the Reich Chancellery.

I don't think that was the location, I saw a show on this recording a few years ago and it was in a railroad car in Finland or East Prussia not sure which. The car belonged to the Finnish government that is why they were in control of the recording.
aalan94
AG
Probably not in Finland, because I doubt Hitler would have gone there. There is no land connection between Finland and any German-occupied areas, but there are ferrys that can take trains on them (I took one in Denmark), so it could be a Finnish government train they brought down).
Corporal Punishment
AG
Hitler visited Finland in 1942.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/hidden_memorial_of_rare_hitler_visit_to_finland/6914509
Corporal Punishment
AG
More film of Hitler speaking conversationally:

Worth watching from the start but best part is at 1:55.

I hadn't seen this one and it reminded me of this old thread.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.