I have all the symptoms. On antibiotics from doctor, cough is rough keeping me awake all night.
Any otc suggestions?
Any otc suggestions?
rjhtamu said:
There is no great cough medicine. Most of the prescription cough medicines just put you to sleep.
If I have to pick something, I usually go with Delsym. I like the Cepacol cough lozenges because they have benzocaine in them, just can't over do them. You can become toxic on benzocaine.
I also like to take and give people bronchodilators for pneumonia (albuterol inhaler or nebs). Agree with humidifiers and vaporizers--as long as they're clean.
Plenty of supportive care comfort medicines: Tylenol, Ibuprofen, favorite "cold" elixers. I'm usually on DayQuil and Nyquil when I don't feel well (just watch the tylenol and "double dipping."
A couple of other important things to remember and consider about pneumonia: the antibiotics may take care of and kill the bacteria, but the x-ray may continue to look "bad" for some time. There is inflammation and damage in the lungs that takes time to recover. This is why you frequently get a bad case of bronchitis that follows the pneumonia. This also explains why the cough is the last thing to go.
This doesn't mean you need more antibiotics, it means that you just need to recover from the damage that was done. This can unfortunately take months. The "active" phase of pneumonia on good treatment lasts about 7-10 days. The "passive" recovery phase again can last weeks to months. This is what frustrates most people because they can't seem to get better sooner.
rjhtamu said:
One of the smartest medical professors I've ever had, a Doctor House of sorts, but the nicest man possible was an avid runner in Houston. He died of lung cancer shortly after my graduation.
Absolute said:
Thoughts on the vaccine for healthy 56yo? Had a mild case maybe a decade ago and it sucked pretty bad.
KidDoc said:Absolute said:
Thoughts on the vaccine for healthy 56yo? Had a mild case maybe a decade ago and it sucked pretty bad.
I woukd get it. Strep pneumonia is very bad and more people aren't vaccinating their kids for it so we will likely see more in the senior population soon.
Quote:
Thanks. Can it be taken at the same time as the flu shot?
Absolute said:KidDoc said:Absolute said:
Thoughts on the vaccine for healthy 56yo? Had a mild case maybe a decade ago and it sucked pretty bad.
I woukd get it. Strep pneumonia is very bad and more people aren't vaccinating their kids for it so we will likely see more in the senior population soon.
Thanks. Can it be taken at the same time as the flu shot?
rjhtamu said:
Possible, having lived in Houston for 4 years, I can see why people might blame Houston.