Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Couple trail running gear questions

938 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by trailrunner
oldarmy76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shoes - I've been running in la sportiva Bushido II for about 3-4 years with power step penacle inserts. I had previously run with cascadias. The pair I bought a couple months ago just doesn't fit as well as the previous ones. I'm thinking about buying a new pair but also looking for suggestions on a different shoe as well as some other insert options. I have an ongoing struggle with some plantar fasciitis that I manage to generally keep manageable.

Running poles - I've signed up for a 50k that has about 4K of climbing. Though not overwhelming, it's a lot more than I typically deal with on runs around here. I've gotten a lot of productive use from poles on previous backpacking trips and was looking for some suggestions from people that use them. Also would appreciate feedback on how useful people find them while running in mountains.

Thanks
Sponge
AG
A lot of personal preference for poles. I live in the mountains and am used to very steep grades but I rely on poles a lot for any kind of ultra. Have done a number of 50k that are about 4k vert. My knees aren't that great so I rely on poles equally for climbs, descents, and flats. It's best to do a long run with them to experiment.
AggieOO
can't help with the insert portion, but I also found that the newer Cascadias don't fit "right." I bought a new pair recently and they gave me terrible blisters. I've previously ran in La Sportiva Ultra Raptors. I liked those, but they feel like tanks. What I've been mostly running in for the past several years are the Nike Wildhorse. I absolutely loved one of the earlier versions. Then they moved to a different version that worked, but I didn't love it. The newest version, the Wildhorse 8 are great so hoping they stick with this version.

as for poles, I find them useful for both up and downhill. I don't really use them on flats. I have telescoping Leki poles, but thinking about replacing them with folding style. The telescoping style are still "long" when they aren't in use, which makes it harder to store them somewhere. There are times (aid stations, really steep stuff where you need your hands, flats, non-technical downs, etc) where I don't want poles in my hands.
Sub4
AG
I can add a little about the inserts.

Your current powerstep pinnacle is quite a ridged, almost orthotic insert. And you're using it in a more flexible shoes (The bushido), so you got some things cancelling out there.

Unless if you're actively recovering from something it is probably too much for what you need or is helpful. If you still like the idea of inserts, try something more flexible like something from Currex or Superfeet Dynamic line.

If you've been using the powerstep for a long time you may find that you're feet are going to be pretty weak and need some time to transition out but I would recommend it. The stiffer and more structured the insert the more it will be a crutch for the muscles in your feet that otherwise would naturally keep that structure.

My bias is more against insoles except for specific durations to help with problems but not as a permanent feature in your shoes. But either way you go I think a more flexible option would be appropriate.
oldarmy76
Thanks! Would you say the Wildhorse fits in the same size as other Nike running shoes? Regarding poles, do you typically attach them back to your running vest when not using them? Is that process annoying?
oldarmy76
Thanks for the suggestions, I think you are right. I'll try some of the more flexible ones you suggested…would like to get out of them all together someday and this is probably a good first step.
AggieOO
oldarmy76 said:

Thanks! Would you say the Wildhorse fits in the same size as other Nike running shoes? Regarding poles, do you typically attach them back to your running vest when not using them? Is that process annoying?
i've not run in any other Nike shoes in a number of years, but from my recollection, yes.

as for the poles, I've not had to worry about attaching them anywhere, as I've had crew and been able to grab poles when i needed them and drop them off when i don't. Angeles Crest 100 in a few weeks will be the first time I'll be carrying them the whole race, so might be able to answer that one down the road.
trailrunner
AG
Black Diamond Distance Z. Have used them many times and they fold fairly easily and then you can stuff them in your pack or some packs like ultimate direction packs have a closure to hold them in place on the outside of the pack
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.